HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:19 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Oct 2005
401 Posts
Discussion
What happened with the Hover Cover

At one point Mike from X486 showed us a prototype of a "Frankenquad" style case for the HFP http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=hover+cover. I think this would be an excellent addition for the HFP considering the need to block light and wind from the baro sensor. Not to mention it is a slick way to protect your $450 flight contoller board.

Perhaps HoverFly could get in touch with Mike or Frakenquad to get these made and sell them thru the HF website. I know I would certainly be willing to pay $40-50 for one. That would seem to be a reasonable price for protecting a $450-$900 (HFP - HFP+GPS) investment.

Mark
Blue Collar is offline Find More Posts by Blue Collar
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2012, 09:57 AM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,063 Posts
Mark - The hover cover was put on hold due to the demand of other products -We do have a design in the works and are looking to find source materials - The one I pictured was printed on a 3D printer and not stable enough for real life application. There are to many cuts around the exterior to make this applicable.
cdi3d is offline Find More Posts by cdi3d
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:20 PM
USA, CA, Mountain View
Joined Dec 2008
615 Posts
In the meantime you could try these folks http://www.globalplastics.ca/smalldomes.htm. While not totally opaque, the smoked cover works well in tandem with a piece of foam over the baro sensor. I have flipped a few times on concrete with these so I can vouch for their toughness. The 1/4 inch thick will stand up the best and worth the extra weight. I ordered two 6" dia smoked 1/4" a year ago and they are both still going strong.
Earl E Adobtr is offline Find More Posts by Earl E Adobtr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Current Folding Quad Project
Old Jan 17, 2012, 04:41 PM
Prying Open My Third Eye
Kingsport TN
Joined Dec 2004
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl E Adobtr View Post
In the meantime you could try these folks http://www.globalplastics.ca/smalldomes.htm. While not totally opaque, the smoked cover works well in tandem with a piece of foam over the baro sensor. I have flipped a few times on concrete with these so I can vouch for their toughness. The 1/4 inch thick will stand up the best and worth the extra weight. I ordered two 6" dia smoked 1/4" a year ago and they are both still going strong.
Can't tell from the picture...what are you using to secure it?
slo_dave is offline Find More Posts by slo_dave
Old Jan 17, 2012, 06:28 PM
USA, CA, Mountain View
Joined Dec 2008
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_dave View Post
Can't tell from the picture...what are you using to secure it?
Velcro primarily and bungi cords as a way to secure the camera mount. Here's a better shot. Earl
Earl E Adobtr is offline Find More Posts by Earl E Adobtr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Current Folding Quad Project
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:40 AM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Oct 2005
401 Posts
Mike

I know the feeling of not enough time in the day to do it all so I understand putting something on the back burner. Maybe HoverFly could place a big enough order to move it up to the front burner.

Earl

That is exactly what I am currently using. I had a dome from them lying around from an old Emaxx fpv project that fits pretty well. I simply use 4 pieces of velcro to hold it on and it has never come off when I didn't want it to. My dome is clear because it used to house a camera. I was going to paint the inside of it but I still need to see the flashing led on the board. Another nice addition to the HFP would be a remotely mounted led.

Mark
Blue Collar is offline Find More Posts by Blue Collar