HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2012, 06:17 PM
United States, AZ, Tempe
Joined Nov 2011
7 Posts
Discussion
Precision Aerobatics Bandit Motor Problem

PA Bandit is great plane! Flat spins/ inverted, knife edge spins, waterfall, parachutes are all superb!! But having a problem with the motor.....
Anyone had this issue??

It has about 15 flights on the new plane. While flying the motor will screech and the prop comes to a complete stop, and then resumes. This happens in about 2 seconds. It happens at least once per flight.

I have made sure the motor fits flush to the firewall by removing some of the balsa angular brace. (Not part of the manual, but I found that out from tech support). I have run it without the C clip and brass washer. That was the initial problem on the fist 2-3 flights. I noticed that without the C-clip the prop shaft will slide back approx 3-5mm. The entire outrunner case will move without the clip. Are the magnets in the motor sufficient to keep the outrunner in place without the clip?
The problem seems to occur after I pull out of a dive/routine and start level flight. By chopping the throttle the force from the propeller in coasting position will push the outrunner case backwards…….

I have also ran it with the clip and washer attached with a standoff to keep the clip off the firewall. Same symptoms. I then purchased another Thrust 40 motor to see if it was defective (planned on using it in my 3DHS plane)… Same problem.

It last happened to me when landing when I was about 2 ft above the ground. The prop came to complete stop, the plane dove and ballooned up and I nearly crashed.

What is going on??? Suggestions..... Do you think it is a motor are ESC issue?
sid47 is offline Find More Posts by sid47
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2012, 06:23 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,018 Posts
If the screech is occurring when you advance the throttle then that is a sign that you need to use more advanced timing (or you are over propped).

If it's happening randomly and not just during advancing throttle than I'd guess at an ESC fault.

Steve

PS... what motor and what ESC????
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Jan 16, 2012, 07:31 PM
GPT
Sydney,Australia
Joined Dec 2004
1,601 Posts
Appears to be Thrust motor but not sure on esc. Check timing 1st like Steve said. If it is a faulty PA esc and the rest of your setup is not PA then they'll likely blame all the non PA stuff for the fault. They don't like acknowledging there own stuff is faulty.

Customer service is not a strong point of theirs particularly in the US.
GPT is offline Find More Posts by GPT
Old Jan 16, 2012, 08:50 PM
United States, AZ, Tempe
Joined Nov 2011
7 Posts
It's PAs Thrust 40, PAs ESC, PAs recommended prop 12x6. Happens on advancing throttle after going to low thottle when pulling out of dive, spin, etc...
Old Jan 16, 2012, 09:27 PM
Huntsville, AL.
Joined Jul 2008
536 Posts
I would say it's the esc especially since it happens with two separate motors.
I have not heard of many if any problems with the thrust 40 but I have of the quantum esc. I actually had basically the same problem with one of mine (Quantum 45). It ground checked fine and I had a flight or two with no issues but a couple of times in the air after chopping the throttle, on throttle up afterwards it would screech and not spin the motor. I called PA USA and they sent me a new one after I sent mine back. For me they were very easy to deal with, Very nice and helpful.

I suggest calling PA USA and talking to them directly instead of trying to Email them. There Email response sometimes is not the best for whatever reason.

Hope you get it worked out and back in the air soon.
J Charles is offline Find More Posts by J Charles
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:27 PM
United States, AZ, Tempe
Joined Nov 2011
7 Posts
I have a call into PA now. Thanks for input on the ESC!!
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:26 AM
Happiness is a belt fed weapon
Ventura, CA
Joined Oct 2009
1,367 Posts
I had a similar issue on the Thrust 50 in the MX. I thought the esc just died and installed a Turnigy. After looking in my bin o' bits I saw that one of the bullet connectors on the Quantum 65 esc was hanging on by a thread. Now when I get some free time I'm gonna re solder the bullet connector and test fly it. Hopefully that's all it was.
Cleared2Engage is offline Find More Posts by Cleared2Engage
Old Jan 17, 2012, 02:04 PM
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Mar 2002
7,763 Posts
normally when the screech happens , its , timing , prop size , or bad solder joints .....
Dennis Everett is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Everett
Old Jan 17, 2012, 02:06 PM
Joined Mar 2002
7,763 Posts
Is it just me or do the PA plane look light years ahead than the 3dhs planes in terms of construction , the 3d planes look about the same as nitro planes stuff ...
Old Jan 17, 2012, 02:43 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Everett View Post
Is it just me or do the PA plane look light years ahead than the 3dhs planes in terms of construction , the 3d planes look about the same as nitro planes stuff ...
It is just you, 3DHS planes do not resemble nitro planes at all. 3DHS makes some of the best 3D planes out there.
3Daddict is online now Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Jan 17, 2012, 09:36 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Everett View Post
Hahahahaha this'll be a can o worms. I'm with you!

+1
Mr Kamikaze is offline Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
Old Jan 18, 2012, 04:43 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleared2Engage View Post
I..After looking in my bin o' bits I saw that one of the bullet connectors on the Quantum 65 esc was hanging on by a thread. ....
+1.. i should have said in my first post, always check that your bullets are well soldered and are making good contact. Flux contamination can sometimes result in bad contact between the male and female connectors.

On the subject of what planes 'look' best.. 'looks' is always an entirely personal thing. Buy the one you like.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:03 AM
Happiness is a belt fed weapon
Ventura, CA
Joined Oct 2009
1,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
+1.. i should have said in my first post, always check that your bullets are well soldered and are making good contact. Flux contamination can sometimes result in bad contact between the male and female connectors.
Funny enough, I had a bit of time yesterday to re-sloder and do a run up. Now the Quantum 65 works flawlessly. Go figure. Glad I didn't throw that one away.
Cleared2Engage is offline Find More Posts by Cleared2Engage
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:19 PM
Panama
Joined Jul 2005
3,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleared2Engage View Post
Funny enough, I had a bit of time yesterday to re-sloder and do a run up. Now the Quantum 65 works flawlessly. Go figure. Glad I didn't throw that one away.
Great to hear that!
aerofundan is offline Find More Posts by aerofundan
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:53 PM
Joined Mar 2002
7,763 Posts
3dad , really ? maybe the 3dhs plane i saw was a old one , but the pa plane looked so much better than the 3dhs plane on the ground and in the air , same guy flew both , he said the 3d one was so much heavier and weaker than the pa plane , he was gonna sell the 3dhs one to buy another pa plane , the guys name was Yuri something , really good flyer ...