Team Horizon Hobby - Surface
Renton
Joined Sep 2006
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertboxhoorn View Post
- High-speed brushless inrunner ducted fan motor, 11750Kv
11750KV!! HOLY MOLY!!

I thought the 3000KV in my F-27Q was hot...

I'm interested in what kind of amp-draw that would have! Are these little JST connectors that come on the small UMX packs going to be enough?

That's amazing!
Darin Jordan is offline Find More Posts by Darin Jordan
Old Jan 17, 2012, 09:55 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,617 Posts
Hope you'll forgive this, being off-topic, but it's too awesome not to share with RCG.

Black Box Generated View of Sully's Hudson River Plane Landing.

Flight 1549 3D Reconstruction, Hudson River Ditching Jan 15, 2009 (7 min 22 sec)
pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:17 AM
3D... the only way to fly!
Kissimmee
Joined Apr 2010
336 Posts
^^^^
snjbird is offline Find More Posts by snjbird
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:21 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
11750KV!! HOLY MOLY!!

I thought the 3000KV in my F-27Q was hot...

I'm interested in what kind of amp-draw that would have! Are these little JST connectors that come on the small UMX packs going to be enough?

That's amazing!
Yeah... that's what I was thinking.
How about running this motor with a 3x3 prop on a 240mah/1s battery in a Polecat?
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:44 AM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
How that we know the specs of the motor, anyone want to guess/calculate the top speed of this baby?
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:48 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
How that we know the specs of the motor, anyone want to guess/calculate the top speed of this baby?
Someone did a doppler reading on it and got it around 40-49mph I think...
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:00 AM
United States, NC, Goldsboro
Joined Mar 2011
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Someone did a doppler reading on it and got it around 40-49mph I think...
But thinking that is the top speed is assuming that the pilot was at WoT... which we dunno?
MyPonyRocks is offline Find More Posts by MyPonyRocks
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:25 AM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
i was refering to the fact that the EDf F-4 arf is a bit late ,just wondering if the mig is due sooner...or later. also it would be nice if Dave could chime in over in the F-4 thread to tell us guys over there whats going on ...sorry to hijack the thread.
We were told at E-jets not to expect the Phantom until Feb. So I didn't get my hopes up for it coming earlier than that.

I
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:27 AM
Horizon Employee
Joined Jan 2006
84 Posts
Hi Guys,

Here are a few notes on the AS3X system.

1. This new NBL board will be sold as a Spektrum open stock receiver. There will be downloadable set-ups for various models/types and enough flexability to adjust it to specific servo/linkage settings so the sensors work in the proper direction. i.e. for the scratch builder and guy that wants to experiment with it in different models.

2. The system will not have the ability to switch it off. But the question really is why would you want to? There is no circumstance where its desirable. The model flies (significantly) better with AS3X in all situations.

3. When AS3X is initialized, the model only has to be held motionless for about 5 seconds. However the attitude is not important. Any attitude is fine as long as its motionless.

I'll let Mr. Payne elabrate more on specifics of the MiG in due time. Suffice to say, it is really impressive. We have flown several of them now and never cease to be amazed by how well it flies.....both quite fast and slow speed handeling.
mmcconville is offline Find More Posts by mmcconville
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:15 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcconville View Post
Hi Guys,

1. This new NBL board will be sold as a Spektrum open stock receiver. There will be downloadable set-ups for various models/types and enough flexability to adjust it to specific servo/linkage settings so the sensors work in the proper direction. i.e. for the scratch builder and guy that wants to experiment with it in different models.

2. The system will not have the ability to switch it off. But the question really is why would you want to? There is no circumstance where its desirable. The model flies (significantly) better with AS3X in all situations.

3. When AS3X is initialized, the model only has to be held motionless for about 5 seconds. However the attitude is not important. Any attitude is fine as long as its motionless.

I'll let Mr. Payne elabrate more on specifics of the MiG in due time. Suffice to say, it is really impressive. We have flown several of them now and never cease to be amazed by how well it flies.....both quite fast and slow speed handeling.
+1,000,000

I was at an LHS this past weekend and had my eyes on Dumas laser cut balsa P-38 kit, and thinking how I could get the Beast 3D innards to work with it (with two external escs driving two bl motors). This new nbl will make it a step easier.

Any indication of an upcoming receiver with as3x for park size and bigger models (perhaps even nitro/gas)???
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; Jan 17, 2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:17 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Quote:
Hi Guys,

Awesome info Mike! That's a dream come true! If I have a suggestion, make sure that some of those receivers hit the LHS shelves very quickly, and in large number!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:18 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Hi Guys,

Mike - thanks for the information. Very helpful.

For those of you that haven't had an opportunity to experience the new AS3X gyro I think you will not be disappointed. In fact... I think you'll find that it makes flying even more fun!!

The ONLY time I've ever felt that the gyro got in my way is in very slow, very high alpha KE manuevers. Sometimes it felt as if I were fighting the elevator. BUT... I realize that flying HA anything reduces sensitivity of the control surfaces and without the gyro, HA knife edge (with the Beast) is a much more difficult task. So in general - it really does improve the flying experience.

And just like any plane... you have to learn the tendencies of the plane you're flying. Since I've flown both the V1 Beast (without a gyro) and the 3D Beast (with the gyro) then I could tell a difference. Had I never flown the V1 I probably wouldn't even noticed the issue I pointed out above.

All in all - I'm thrilled with the AS3X system in the Beast and I'm looking forward to trying it out in this plane as well. Clearly this is a game changer and I can't wait to see what they have in store next!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:25 PM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,965 Posts
The barnswallows at the parks I frequent had better apply for asylum now!
GradyLee is offline Find More Posts by GradyLee
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:27 PM
Burlington, NJ USA
Joined Apr 2001
426 Posts
Wow, this is great news! I've been waiting for you guys to come out with a UMX EDF for so long now, I was starting to think some inherent limitations were going to render such a model impossible. Thank you, I will be getting one for sure. Hopefully, this is just the beginning of the micro EDF line...imagine the possibilities! A4 Skyhawk Blue Angel anyone?
bfaulguy is online now Find More Posts by bfaulguy