HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:37 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
That quote from Dave is about the current AS3X.

So this guy is lying to us?
No, Idon't think he is at all. But I think you *might* be reading a bit more into what he said than was actually said on the face of it (bold added):

Quote:
There will be downloadable set-ups for various models/types and enough flexability to adjust it to specific servo/linkage settings so the sensors work in the proper direction. i.e. for the scratch builder and guy that wants to experiment with it in different models.
The WK receivers let you adjust gyro direction as well as sensitivity and delay (via potentiometer) on their 3-axis 2702, but I think that hoping HH will be letting you hack the code for AS3X might be a little ambitious.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:41 PM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
You know they mean *they* program and tweak it per model, right?

They does not man (or even infer) that us end users will be given that ability. In fact, IMHO it seems decidedly unlikely, heck they already have trouble with people complaining things don't work right due to operator error, so if it was user-tunable, I think complaints due to misunderstanding (i.e. crashing a lot with it off!) would likely outweigh any possible benefit from the HH side of the equation.

EDITED to add quote from earlier in the thread
From post #100

1. This new NBL board will be sold as a Spektrum open stock receiver. There will be downloadable set-ups for various models/types and enough flexability to adjust it to specific servo/linkage settings so the sensors work in the proper direction. i.e. for the scratch builder and guy that wants to experiment with it in different models.

If the settings are downloadable via a file they are changeable prior to downloading to the receiver. All it takes is for one of us to figure out the op codes in the file if it's only machine readable. This can be easy to do if we have enough source files to compare. I don't think Horizon will make it that hard for us though. I think they will tell us how to change the settings.

Or better yet, they will have so many downloadable types we won't need to be modifying them.
NwRcFlight is offline Find More Posts by NwRcFlight
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:46 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NwRcFlight View Post
(snips)

From post #100
There will be downloadable set-ups for various models/types and enough flexability to adjust it to specific servo/linkage settings so the sensors work in the proper direction

All it takes is for one of us to figure out the op codes in the file if it's only machine readable.
I'm not going to get into a knock-down drag-out over what some hypothetical parameter file the system parses may or may not include; I am merely reading the message at face value, and not trying to add my own wishful thinking on top of it.

Please don't misread me -- I do NOT mean to come across as either a know it all, nor as a wet blanket on the enthusiasm for home-tweaking these things.

Time will tell how much configuration authority can be offloaded to the user. I hope you get everything you are hoping for!
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:03 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,753 Posts
Fact - the Beast 3D's AS3X brick also works well in airframes as diverse as the following:

1) The Gee Bee (HH has verified that the Beast & Gee Bee use identical programming)

2) The Sbach (has been tested & videos have been posted)

3) F3P planes (video has been posted of an F3P ship that uses a Beast 3D brick)

Given that the planes above fly very well with identical AS3X programming, a few downloadable base programs with some tweakable parameters should cover a wide range of airframes.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:19 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,746 Posts
Wives are ALWAYS smarter

Didn't you get the memo?

Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by NwRcFlight View Post
Wives keep getting smarter every year, darn it.
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:20 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,572 Posts
KICS Joel KICS!

It just gets better and better!!

Sleep well,

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:55 PM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Fact - the Beast 3D's AS3X brick also works well in airframes as diverse as the following:

1) The Gee Bee (HH has verified that the Beast & Gee Bee use identical programming)

2) The Sbach (has been tested & videos have been posted)

3) F3P planes (video has been posted of an F3P ship that uses a Beast 3D brick)

Given that the planes above fly very well with identical AS3X programming, a few downloadable base programs with some tweakable parameters should cover a wide range of airframes.

Joel
I agree wholeheartedly.
NwRcFlight is offline Find More Posts by NwRcFlight
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:34 AM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,139 Posts
I'm going to need a better paying job......
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:43 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam View Post
I'm going to need a better paying job......
I just need a job!
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:52 AM
Registered RC Addict
USA, PA, Tunkhannock
Joined Nov 2006
340 Posts
So what's the deal with 2/1/12? "official release date" or "estimated" shipping date?

Tired of this waiting game! I'm still waiting for the Hyped up Hyper Taxi and the PZ Icon A5. Those were released months ago and they still aren't on the market!

Please just release stuff to us the day they arrives at port!
team222badbrad is offline Find More Posts by team222badbrad
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2012, 01:02 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,227 Posts
i believe it will be the official announcement...as you can see in the teaser they didn't show much and there is nothing on the horizon website so on the first they will most likely show more. I'd bet release date to be at least june
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Jan 18, 2012, 04:15 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,199 Posts
HH were forced to bring the announcement date of their Mig forward due to the Great Planes Sabre F-86 release announcement. I am sure it caused quite a bit of rescheduling over at HH HQ.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jan 18, 2012, 05:56 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
They does not man (or even infer) that us end users will be given that ability. In fact, IMHO it seems decidedly unlikely, heck they already have trouble with people complaining things don't work right due to operator error, so if it was user-tunable, I think complaints due to misunderstanding (i.e. crashing a lot with it off!) would likely outweigh any possible benefit from the HH side of the equation.
We have to let HH guys answers our questions before we try to answer for them, but, basically they already have to deal with people who bind their aircraft, don't even do a preflight check, and only find out in the air that they have some servos reversed...

Beauty of finally using the Xport is the fact that they probably can also use it to check the receivers when they are sent back to them. User complaint that the Rx didn't work fine, send it to them, they plug it into a Rx tester via the Xport and can likely truly test the board for as long as they want. Then only a quick RF test, and if it's functionnal, it's a user error, no need to replace it!

P.S.: I totally agree with Turboparker! The actual board is already good in many airframes. Just tweaking some stuff won't be so bad. On the other side, my question still stand: Will one of those downloadable setup be for the Stryker (wing). Think about it... They may not want to redo the Stryker or the Sbach, AS3X style, for us, like they did for the Beast. But if they give us the possibility to do it via a downloadable file (or even by programming it ourselves), then everybody will be happy.
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jan 18, 2012, 06:07 AM
United States, NC, Goldsboro
Joined Mar 2011
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
then everybody will be happy.
This is the internet... might want to change that to almost everybody will be happy.
MyPonyRocks is offline Find More Posts by MyPonyRocks
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:32 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
I believe that is the case as well. I for one will be getting both!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
HH were forced to bring the announcement date of their Mig forward due to the Great Planes Sabre F-86 release announcement. I am sure it caused quite a bit of rescheduling over at HH HQ.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt