HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by sir_clive, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 03:25 PM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
655 Posts
Build Log
BluBaby 42" with Clark Y profile

As much as I love my AXN Floater Jet, I felt the urge for getting *more* involved in this hobby - by building my own plane.

After some reading on the principles of airplane design, I decided to take the easier route and to start out with a ready-made plans. A short research revealed this wonderful "BluBaby" plane, designed by Tony65x55. Basically, I stuck with the plans, except for the wing, which I wanted to look more like a "real" one.

Being too coward to make a dihedral, I opted for a flat wing with winglets on it.

The materials I use are simple EPS (5cm block for the ribs, 1cm sheet for the fuse), and 3 resp. 6mm depron for wing coating, stabilizer, rudder and winglets.

The plane already starts to look like a plane, so I decided to share some pics and some experience with you.
sir_clive is offline Find More Posts by sir_clive
Last edited by sir_clive; Jan 16, 2012 at 03:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2012, 04:29 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,461 Posts
Your Blu-Baby is looking real nice. If I may offer an alternative to the seperate foam cap on the wing LE. How about a balsa cap? Cap between the upper and lower foam sheets and the foam blocks with foam sheet, sand the LE flat, add balsa cap. Just an idea I would try if it was mine.

Keep up the good work,
Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Jan 16, 2012, 04:43 PM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
655 Posts
That sounds like a great Idea, thanks! It would work good and it would look GREAT! I think if the plane is finished and HK still didn't deliver (or if the weather stays so bad as it was for the past few weeks), I'll give it a try before the maiden flight.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:26 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Feel free to post our photos in the Blue Baby Thread too. It helps everyone learn things and we all love to see work's in progress.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:32 PM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
655 Posts
Oh, I didn't want to alienate people on dial-up, but if you say it's acceptable to post so many photos to the group, I'll gladly do so!
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:04 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Dial up users deal with their pain, but are few and far between these days. The forum is free to all subscribed. The only rule is to be friendly and polite.

A thread like the Blue Baby with over 100 thousand posts is sure a great place for everyone to post thoughts and pictures!

Sometimes there are those that feel they own the thread they started, but it isn't true. RCG owns everything, we are just authors using ther facilities. We meet a few rude ones sometimes, but that is human nature. Just never allow a rude person to affect your day, it just happens sometimes, and we are sorry for them.

Reasonable amounts of photos are great. You are not excessive at all, but I like to think along the lines of a typical 3-view, or 4-view aircraft drawing effect. Details may take much more effort, or much less.

Point is we all love to see photos, and there are never enough people that post them. Pictures are truely worth a thousand words! Get used to joining in and share the photos for sure!

Thanks again, and great job!

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B