Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 16, 2012, 02:03 PM
Joined Apr 2011
24 Posts
Discussion
ESC control through controller

Hi all.

I have bought a hobbyking 20 amp ESC ( http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ontroller.html ). The red of battery is conncted to red of ESC and black to black.The throttle signal comes from the controller to white wire of ESC a 50 hz sq. wave with a 10% duty cycle(18 ms low,2ms high). The three output wires of ESC drives the motor. But the motor does not show any movement. What's wrong i am doing?

I hear 3 rapid beeps and when i connect the ESC and then beep after beep with a difference of about 8 to 10 seconds.
Syed Saad is offline Find More Posts by Syed Saad
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2012, 02:10 PM
"It's a Quad" :O
Temecula
Joined Jul 2004
3,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed Saad View Post
Hi all.

I have bought a hobbyking 20 amp ESC ( http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ontroller.html ). The red of battery is conncted to red of ESC and black to black.The throttle signal comes from the controller to white wire of ESC a 50 hz sq. wave with a 10% duty cycle(18 ms low,2ms high). The three output wires of ESC drives the motor. But the motor does not show any movement. What's wrong i am doing?

I hear 3 rapid beeps and when i connect the ESC and then beep after beep with a difference of about 8 to 10 seconds.
There are a few things to try. If the ESC is connected to a motor with a prop remove the prop first then:

1. Reverse the throttle channel
2. Increase the throttle range to -125 (this may allow the ESC to see 0 throttle)
3. You may have a bad ESC?
thewz is offline Find More Posts by thewz
Old Jan 16, 2012, 02:40 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,634 Posts
esc has an arming safety feature built in where it will not arm unless it sees a low throttle condition at beginning. Low throttle is 1ms high pulse and full throttle is 2ms high pulse. Power up esc sending it a 1ms pulse (sometimes less) and wait 5 seconds and then gradually increase pulse width to start motor. After getting it going you can decrease the wait time to see how long it actually takes your particular esc to initialize. Most of the time you hear battery cells counted out in beeps and then a long beep indicating esc is armed then you can increase pwm.
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398
Old Jan 20, 2012, 03:46 PM
Joined Apr 2011
24 Posts
Thank you all.

Finally got my motor running with the above stated method. Problem was woth the one bad 5v regulator.
My next target would be to control it's speed by a pot.
Syed Saad is offline Find More Posts by Syed Saad
Old Jan 20, 2012, 04:30 PM
Joined Apr 2010
1,364 Posts
"My next target would be to control it's speed by a pot."
Try something like this, it works.
Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Mortimer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 5V Power Supply
Old Jan 20, 2012, 06:09 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,634 Posts
Glad you got it going. I guess a pot might be the next step having it control a 555 setup as an astable oscillator and that in turn drives another 555 setup as a monostable multivibrator. Lots of servo testers/controllers used that circuit. Also maybe something like a picaxe 08M2 might be a good starting point. I think for like $15 for everything it will read in and output pwm and also do I2C commands. All in Basic! hehe
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398