HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:59 AM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,568 Posts
Discussion
Laser Design Services - Unauthorized Laser Cut Kit...

While searching online I happened across the web site for Laser Design Services.

On their 'Scale Electrics' page, I found that they are selling unauthorized laser cut short kits of my F-106 Delta Dart.

I also found they are offering an illegally altered copy of my F-106 Construction Guide which has had the copyright message on the title page removed or obliterated.

I recently published a F-106 construction article in Backyard Flyer. The plans sold by Air Age contained templates for all the parts, which comprise the kit I sell.

This company has never contacted me about using my plans or templates to sell short kits, nor did they obtain permission from Air Age to do so.

I spoke with a man named, "Bob" at LDS today and he said that 'someone sent him the plans' which he used to create the unauthorized laser-cut short kit he has been selling.

When I asked him about the removal of the copyright information from the Construction Guide, he said 'a modeler did that and sent it to him'.

I am posting this article to alert fellow modelers to the actions of Laser Design Services.

These plans and templates are my copyrighted material. Air Age paid me to publish a one-time article and they hold a limited-license copyright to do so.

No one else is authorized to sell copies of my plans or my kits. Anyone doing so is in violation of US Copyright law.

Dan Savage
DanSavage is offline Find More Posts by DanSavage
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:04 AM
Not Funny......
United States, CO, Redstone
Joined Dec 2010
912 Posts
Pretty weak excuses by "Bob" @ LDS
Sounds like they need to man up and do right by you.
Mike Warren is offline Find More Posts by Mike Warren
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:11 AM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Warren View Post
Pretty weak excuses by "Bob" @ LDS
Sounds like they need to man up and do right by you.
Agreed. This is exactly the reason why I have always been hesitant to release templates to my kits, either in electronic form or through publishing in construction articles.

It's just too tempting to take the hard work of others and undercut their prices.

LDS sells many other laser cut short kits from other modelers.

It's probably a safe bet that they have not obtained authorization or licensing from them, either.

I have alerted Air Age to what LDS is doing so that they can investigate to see if there are any other copyright violations.

Dan
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:16 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,932 Posts
that bites
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:25 AM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
that bites
Yep.

This kind of copyright violation runs rampant through the modeling industry.

Lots of modelers don't care because they only want to get the lowest price possible and it doesn't matter them whose business gets hurt in the process.

Dan
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:27 AM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
I wonder if Thorpe did the same thing. LDS had a Thorpe F-20 short kit just a month ago and now its gone.
scatsob is offline Find More Posts by scatsob
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:37 AM
2014 EDF JET JAM We be Jamming
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,846 Posts
WOW...and some people are always asking me to make my plans available. I keep having KCF-18 flashbacks

Good luck with this one Dan!

Edit: looks like they removed it.
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Last edited by Kevin Cox; Jan 16, 2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:59 AM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatsob View Post
I wonder if Thorpe did the same thing. LDS had a Thorpe F-20 short kit just a month ago and now its gone.
It wouldn't surprise me in the least if LDS were doing to Thorpe's kit what they did to mine.

Dan
Old Jan 16, 2012, 12:21 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cox View Post
WOW...and some people are always asking me to make my plans available. I keep having KCF-18 flashbacks

Good luck with this one Dan!

Edit: looks like they removed it.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I remember all the hassles that came from your sharing of your plans.

I've had numerous people ask me over the years for the templates for my Su-27 kit and it was your experience with the KCF-18 that caused me to steadfastly refuse to provide them. This is exactly the reason why I've never done so.

It looks like LDS only cares about copyright violation if the copyright holder contacts them and demands they remove the short kit from their site.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 12:52 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,249 Posts
Pretty lame!! Sad to say but this is typical in this day and age.
bri6672 is offline Find More Posts by bri6672
Old Jan 16, 2012, 03:04 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri6672 View Post
Pretty lame!! Sad to say but this is typical in this day and age.
Yep.

When I spoke to 'Bob', he claimed that he didn't know I sold laser-cut parts.

I guess in his haste to make a quick buck off my hard work he missed the info box on the templates sheet that instructed the builder how to order laser cut parts directly from me. (can you say, 'thief and liar'?)

Dan
Old Jan 16, 2012, 07:50 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,876 Posts
That's really bad Dan. It's no excuse to 'not know' because he knew the designer was you as it was stated in the add.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignoran...is_non_excusat
strictlyscale is offline Find More Posts by strictlyscale
Old Jan 16, 2012, 08:30 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlyscale View Post
That's really bad Dan. It's no excuse to 'not know' because he knew the designer was you as it was stated in the add.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignoran...is_non_excusat
Yep. It's pretty clear he's lying when he said he didn't know I offered a laser-cut kit.

It's clearly stated on the template sheet, just as it's clearly stated 'All Rights Reserved'.

But, where there's a quick buck to be made, thieves like him don't care about stealing the hard work of others.

Dan
Old Jan 16, 2012, 08:36 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2011
104 Posts
after reading this, i figured ooh why not order from bob,,, Kit should be here next week.

Glad there are cheaper places to get these kits.
Super Matt is offline Find More Posts by Super Matt
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:57 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Matt View Post
after reading this, i figured ooh why not order from bob,,, Kit should be here next week.

Glad there are cheaper places to get these kits.
Birds of a feather flock together, I guess.

While I will continue to design models and I may or may not sell kits of my future designs, I will no longer sell plans containing parts templates, nor will I ever publish a construction article again.

Enjoy your Chinese foamies and 'me, too' ARFs.
Last edited by DanSavage; Jan 16, 2012 at 11:02 PM.
Closed Thread