Old Jan 15, 2012, 02:56 PM
Dallas Texas
Joined Nov 2009
394 Posts
Discussion
syma s107 tail rotor mod no working

I ordered these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

They are supposedly the picooz tail rotors. I put one on and flipped the rotor assembly upside down. The helicopter flies forward but not faster and it wont fly backwards. maybe these are the wrong ones?
DaveG99 is offline Find More Posts by DaveG99
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2012, 03:32 PM
Joined Jan 2012
28 Posts
The "2 packs" are only $3.25 compaired to the $7.55 for the 4 pack, ($1.05 cheaper)

Don't flip the tail assembly, just change the 2 motor wires.

(mini fwi - usually when you have unexpectedly low thrust coming from a prop, it's on backwards/facing the wrong way).
Heli Dad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Dad
Old Jan 15, 2012, 04:49 PM
Dallas Texas
Joined Nov 2009
394 Posts
alright I think I got it working. Used another one of the 4 I had and it seems to be working now.
DaveG99 is offline Find More Posts by DaveG99
Last edited by DaveG99; Jan 15, 2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:45 AM
Joined Jan 2012
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
alright I think I got it working. Used another one of the 4 I had and it seems to be working now.

So clearly you had the 1st one on backwards, (glad to see things working for you now)

I'm expecting the same props tomorrow and can't wait to try them
Heli Dad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Dad
Old Feb 22, 2012, 06:08 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1 Posts
I just received the same rotors from Amazon. I flipped the entire rotor boom and am able to get really quick flight forward, but nearly nothing backwards...kind of like a trade off...anyone else have this problem?
mnkyan is offline Find More Posts by mnkyan
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:34 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkyan View Post
I just received the same rotors from Amazon. I flipped the entire rotor boom and am able to get really quick flight forward, but nearly nothing backwards...kind of like a trade off...anyone else have this problem?
i noticed that too. its because the piccooz prop is not the same type as the original. unlike airplane props the s107 is designed to work equally in both directions but the piccooz is not. you can see this just by comparing their shapes.

not being a speed freak i switched back.

btw welcome to the nut house... err... i mean rcgroups. youll have a ton of fun here.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:43 PM
United States, CA, Aguanga
Joined Feb 2012
19 Posts
i have been using two standard, rear, rotors in a "+" configuration (making it a 4 blade, instead of the standard 2 blade) and it clearly helped forward/rearward flight.

it's impossible to install the rotor(s) wrong/upside down.

i do not do sustained rearward flight so it doesn't appear to drain the battery in excess.

i did NOT turn the rotor assembly upside down.
donwalk is offline Find More Posts by donwalk
Old Feb 23, 2012, 01:35 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,023 Posts
one would expect two stock rotors to improve speed. adjusting center of gravity would be required for hovering to compensate for the added weight back there. mine tended to drift backwards.

and it is impossible to install them backwards for two reasons: first flipping a prop does not reverse thrust. i had a guy who i was buying a prop from for a full scale plane try to tell me it did. lol! second since the rotor prop is not like a plane prop it has no front or back.

and it wouldnt have much effect on the battery because almost all the current is drained by the main collectives.

you do have to turn the rotor asembly upside down when switching to piccoo or controls will be backwards. thats one benefit to using stock rotors but of course theres the weight penalty and balance problem.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Feb 23, 2012, 03:06 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donwalk View Post
i have been using two standard, rear, rotors in a "+" configuration (making it a 4 blade, instead of the standard 2 blade) and it clearly helped forward/rearward flight.

it's impossible to install the rotor(s) wrong/upside down.

i do not do sustained rearward flight so it doesn't appear to drain the battery in excess.

i did NOT turn the rotor assembly upside down.
I tried the "+" configuration before, but I didn't like it and I reverted it back to the single tail rotor. After reading your comment, I went and tried it again, and I still didn't like it. I really didn't see any speed-up. If any, I thought it slowed it down for me. And I noticed that my tail motor is running harder and hotter than before.

Perhaps my perception is different than yours. Keep it if you like it. It's just not working for me.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Feb 24, 2012, 08:28 AM
Scotland
Joined Oct 2010
291 Posts
WOW.....those Amazon prices are a bit steep is that plus shipping, if so even bigger...

PM me for the best PicooZ prices, see here - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1348291
Klippie is offline Find More Posts by Klippie