HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2012, 03:33 PM
Tomball, TX
Joined Nov 2009
219 Posts
Question
Having an RX tested

Does anyone know or have any experience with having an RX tested by Horizon Hobby? If so, what was the process like in terms of time, cost, etc. thnks

Stekeye
stekeye is offline Find More Posts by stekeye
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2012, 03:52 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
The only one I sent back out of warranty they looked at for free, but I was also having other devices serviced so there wasn't any extra shipping to deal with. Turned out to be fried and would have cost more to repair than to replace so they sent it back dead. Passed it on to someone that needed a small device from a different defect so part of it still lives.

Depending on what is wrong it may be better to just put a defective sticker on it and buy a new receiver. Which model and what do you suspect might be wrong?
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Jan 15, 2012, 06:26 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,510 Posts
I'd fill in the form, print it out and send the item to HH then wait for the status of my request. Depending on the estimate I'd decide from there.

I have a Spektrum module which would stop working when it is cold (below 35F). I just sent it to HH and am waiting for them to receive it and give me an estimate for the repair.

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2012, 06:56 PM
Tomball, TX
Joined Nov 2009
219 Posts
Thanks guys. I will look into this. It is an AR500 unit that I installed into a park flyer. I have checked every other piece of the puzzle but I have flown it twice and both times it gets to a point in the flight where the aircraft becomes unresponsive. I would really like to know. I have a Parkzone Raidan that I was flying with another AR500 unit. The last time I flew it, I had some serious controllability issues develop in flight. Unresponsive and intermittent. For some reason I never thought about it being the RX. My TX has been a workhorse for me. I fly several EDFs about once to twice a week and never have had a problem with it. So I am leaning toward the RX. I would really like to know one way or the other so I can isolate and fix the problem.

Stekeye
Old Jan 15, 2012, 08:14 PM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
There were a bunch of junk AR500's. I had two fail within 6 months. HH has discontinued them and their replacement is an AR600
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Old Jan 17, 2012, 04:19 PM
Tomball, TX
Joined Nov 2009
219 Posts
Re-Maiden

Okay, today's flight was much less eventful. Everything worked as advertised with the new RX I installed. Retaining clip held everything together and my prop stayed where it should. Very nice flying kit by the way. The Mig-29 from Yardbird RC. Thanks for all the input

I did send the problem RX into HH to be tested. Should be interesting to see what they find.

Stekeye
Old Jan 18, 2012, 01:23 PM
S.A.D. member
Joined Dec 2004
9,510 Posts
Update on my module - I shipped it last Saturday. I just got an email (Wednesday) that it checked in at HH service center. That's two business days in the mail (USPS observed MLK day on Monday).

Ivan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2012, 02:22 PM
Tomball, TX
Joined Nov 2009
219 Posts
Ivan,
My AR500 is supposed to arrive at HH on Thursday. Very interested to see what they find. I replaced the AR500 with another receiver I had and have no issues with my park flyer since then.

stekeye
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:55 PM
S.A.D. member
Joined Dec 2004
9,510 Posts
Stekeye,

Sorry if I hijacked your thread but it seems to me it is more about sending stuff to Horizon for testing/repair so I posted above. Let me know if you want to keep it about the AR500 only.

Horizon are fast today - they list my module as ready to ship:

Code:
Service Status for Request Tracking Number SR64-....-....-.....

Order C72....
--------------------------------------------------
Date/Time (CST)	Status
1/13/2012 11:30:28 PM	Submitted

Electronics Order C73....
--------------------------------------------------
Item List:
1 - DM8 Module (SPMDM8)

Date/Time (CST)	Status
1/18/2012 3:24:45 PM	Ready to Ship
1/18/2012 1:15:56 PM	Assigned to Technician
1/18/2012 11:55:19 AM	Product Checked In
Still no info on what was wrong with it and how much it's going to cost me.

Ivan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2012, 04:56 AM
Tomball, TX
Joined Nov 2009
219 Posts
No worries Ivan.

No I did not intend for the post to be about the AR500. I welcomed your responses.

I was more interested in the process of sending something in to HH to be tested in order to help pilots isolate problems that occurred during flight and to understand the repair capabilities/costs that we could expect if we had similar problems in the future.

Yes, keep us posted on your experience with HH about your module. How did you initially discover the issue with your unit??

Stekeye
Old Jan 19, 2012, 01:33 PM
S.A.D. member
Joined Dec 2004
9,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stekeye View Post
No worries Ivan.

No I did not intend for the post to be about the AR500. I welcomed your responses.

I was more interested in the process of sending something in to HH to be tested in order to help pilots isolate problems that occurred during flight and to understand the repair capabilities/costs that we could expect if we had similar problems in the future.

Yes, keep us posted on your experience with HH about your module. How did you initially discover the issue with your unit??

Stekeye
I went to fly after the temperatures dropped. It was around 28F. I turned on the transmitter then the plane and had no control. Noticed that the orange light on the module was off. A fellow flyer at the field gave me his module. I installed it in my tranny, bound the plane to the module and made 3 successful flights that day.

When I got home I plugged my module in the radio to try to figure out the issue - it worked fine with no issues. I flew with the module several other times with temps in the 40-ies with no issues. The last time I tried to fly it was again in the upper 20-ies and the module will not light up the LED. The LED will come on for a second or so when I turn on the tranny power but then will turn off and the receiver would not link.

I have another update - HH is shipping the module today. It cost me this much:

Zero, nada, nothing. Module was purchased 3-4 years ago.

May I say I am EXTREMELY satisfied with HH service dept?

Thank you RICK from HH!

Stekeye, I wish you the same experience with HH!

Ivan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2012, 04:45 PM
Tomball, TX
Joined Nov 2009
219 Posts
Ivan, that is awesome. Mine arrived there today. I will keep you posted

Stekeye

BTW, where abouts in Chi-town are you from. I grew up near 103rd S. Kedzie and love Giordano's pizza.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 05:06 PM
S.A.D. member
Joined Dec 2004
9,510 Posts
I'm not in Chi-town but in Chi-burbia - Aurora/Naperville.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:29 PM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jul 2011
306 Posts
That's the benefit of buying stuff from Horizon Hobby. They work hard to service what they sell...
WombatControl is offline Find More Posts by WombatControl
Old Jan 20, 2012, 02:04 PM
Tomball, TX
Joined Nov 2009
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc View Post
I'm not in Chi-town but in Chi-burbia - Aurora/Naperville.

I have a cousin and my aunt and uncle that live in Naperville. Pretty Schnazzzy from what I hear.

BTW, how do you manage to fly RC in those very cold conditions. I know for me, my fingers get numb when the temp is less than 45 degrees and don't work so well. Just curious how you Yankees deal with the temps??

Stekeye