HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2012, 08:01 AM
United States, MI, Chelsea
Joined Aug 2005
679 Posts
Discussion
So Esky Outdoor Lama or Nine Eagles Solo Pro 328

Ok so here's the deal I bought a Syma S107 back around Christmas and unfortunantly now I have the heli bug. This little guy is great for cruising around the house but now I want something to play with outside.

I am trying to keep things somewhat cheap to start with and have pretty much narrowed it down to two models the Esky Big Outdoor Lama or the Nine Eagles Solo Pro 328.

So now my question is which one of these models would you guys recommend for a newbie like myself to be able to enjoy a little outdoor flight time?
stafphoto is offline Find More Posts by stafphoto
Last edited by stafphoto; Jan 15, 2012 at 08:07 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2012, 09:25 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,625 Posts
I have no experience with the 328 but have a big lama and it NEEDS the extended shaft to fly outside. I love mine and it's scale look and you'll find lots of support for it here. Either model will only handle light wind.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:30 PM
Joined Aug 2005
679 Posts
Thanks for the tip I do remember seeing something about people using the extended rotor shaft to avoid blade contact but I wasn't sure if it was totally necessary for outdoor flight.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:44 PM
Almost expert level crasher
Canada, ON, Perth
Joined Apr 2011
170 Posts
This should help you decide:

E-Sky Big Lama Heli product review with blade strike examples. (11 min 22 sec)
Mikey1 is offline Find More Posts by Mikey1
Old Jan 15, 2012, 01:27 PM
Joined Aug 2005
679 Posts
Ok well it would appear that the lama is a very stable flying helicopter but after seeing that video I'm not so sure I want one.

I don't really want to fly something that crashes itself just because you move the sticks a bit and I want to be able to do more with my heli then just hover with it. So I guess I'll be going with something that has a single set of blades.

Anyways so I am curious is there much of a difference between the Blade brand heli's and the Nine Eagles heli's. They appear to be pretty similar to each but the Blade's cost a lot more are they really worth the price difference?
Last edited by stafphoto; Jan 15, 2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 02:00 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,469 Posts
The 328 is less stable than the Big Lama and neither is very good outdoors in wind. The Big Lama can handle a little wind with mods, the 328 can not be modded. Blade helis generally have fewer issues than NE helis and better support from Horizon and your LHS. It's up to you to decide if it's worth the cost. I always try to support my LHS, even if it means I spend more.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jan 15, 2012, 02:12 PM
Joined Aug 2005
679 Posts
Yeah I understand about the supporting the Local Hobby Shop but I don't have any left around me any more I tried to visit my favorite one right after X-Mas which took me about a half hour to get to and it's closed up now. And they used to be the biggest hobby shop with two locations just in there area and a few others in different cities. There's also a place close to where I work but they have become more of a toy store and no longer carry rc stuff.

So anything I buy will most likely be bought over the internet as the next closest hobby shop to me now is a least an hour away. And with gas getting back up to $3.70 a gallon here it's cheaper to just pay for the shipping.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 02:19 PM
Owner1
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Mar 2011
345 Posts
Without the extended shaft, the Big Lama is worthless for anything more than hovering about. WITH the extended shaft you can fly it fairly aggressively, and with less than another $20 in simple bolt on mods, you can do this:

Big Lama, Now With Extended Servo Arms and Super Short Flybar. Flying Super Fast in Light Wind (5 min 40 sec)

Owner1
Owner1 is offline Find More Posts by Owner1
Old Jan 15, 2012, 02:23 PM
United Kingdom, England, Liverpool
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
I would not recommend the Big Lama unless you don't mind a fair bit of work. With my Big Lama, I needed the shaft extension but also the stock blades are very bad, you constantly need to buy better blades from a 400D walkera, and the actual body shell breaks very easy, it is very very easy to just snap the tail off completely in a crash.

In the end, I had a big crash and the body exploded, or impoloded, with about a hundred spikey pieces of plastic everywhere, it was funny, but it was the last straw because it is just a coaxial, that is not an "outdoor" model out of the box, maybe after excessive modifications it is better described that way.

The Blade 120SR is better in wind, than the Big Lama, without mods.
Microbaba is offline Find More Posts by Microbaba
Old Jan 15, 2012, 07:08 PM
Joined Aug 2005
679 Posts
Well I just picked me up a barely used mint condition Blade 120SR over at rcuniverse. I can't wait to get it and start playing
Old Jan 15, 2012, 07:57 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,469 Posts
That is a better choice than your first two.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jan 16, 2012, 04:47 AM
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
Yes, good choice there, you will enjoy it, it is hard to get bored with that heli, it is the helicopter of the decade in my opinion, I only sold mine because of financial difficulties at the time.

I little tip. If you can squeeze a 1000mah 25c battery into the canopy with a bit of help from velcro, this makes the helicopter considerably better in wind, and gives you 11-12 minutes flight time.

Also, the helicopter has two modes, beginner and expert. On expert mode, it is much better in the wind, on beginner mode, it is not. Read your manual, it will tell you how to change between modes. There is also the advanced swashplate settings for when you improve your skills, which again, is even better in the wind. Haha.

The difference between this helicopter and the Big Lama, is night and day - it is almost break proof, but make sure you do the fishing rod modification, or you WILL lose those linkages! It takes a few minutes, and save a lot of money on spare links!!
Old Jan 16, 2012, 04:54 AM
Joined Aug 2005
679 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I will definently be looking into a larger battery as it seems like they always die just when your starting to have some fun so a longer flight time is always better.

I'll also check the manual for those settings as I'm sure begginer mode would be best to start with.

Now I just have to wait for it to get here so I can start the fun
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:03 AM
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
Haha - yeah, waiting is the cruelest part of this hobby. Waiting for new helis, waiting for parts so you can fly again. All I do is wait. Last year I lost all my helis because of financial problems so I only have the one heli and it is out of commission and looks like the dude selling the servos has not sent them.

Yeah, that bigger battery is a must, make sure it is at least 20c and 1000mah, then you just buy some velcro so you can slide it into the canopy at the bottom, inside the canopy and attach it. You could get awat with 1200mah. The stock battery will make wind much more of a problem, especially because you need all of the weight right in the front of the nose, which you can't do with the little stocker. Trust me, you won't regret it. Go for one of these, don't go for those fancy batteries, they are all bark and no bite, just get a cheapy like this, mate;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RC-AKKU-10...#ht_1261wt_952

(I can't vouch for that seller though, his feedback score is not the healthiest, but you're only risking a few quid)
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:24 AM
Joined Aug 2005
679 Posts
Thank you sir,

I'll see what I can find for a battery with those specs but I'll make sure to purchase it from an american supplier so it will not take so long for the shipping.

And trust me I understand the finanacial side of things that's why I am trying to do this as low cost as I can.