Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 15, 2012, 04:11 AM
Tin Can Sailor
Alabama, USA
Joined Feb 2009
761 Posts
Discussion
RC Ship Transport Case/Box

Have some 1/144 scale warships ships rangeing 36" to 47". As my fleet slowly grows I need a better way to load them into my suv and was thinking that maybe a case/crate/box for each might be the best way to maximize space and insure the safety of each. Would like to see any photos of transport methods you guys might have before I break out the saw and ruin a bunch of wood. Thanks.
seadog985 is offline Find More Posts by seadog985
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2012, 08:29 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,357 Posts
Umi, can we add transport boxes to your FAQ/ref list?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...98#post3720461
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=734392
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1014165
+ many more

and the related display stand threads:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=637017
+ many more

and the related "shipping a model" threads:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=713833
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1150245
+ many more
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Last edited by patmat2350; Jan 15, 2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:14 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,208 Posts
Yeah, I can do that...

Oh, and I can add a transport case too.
This one fits airplane carry on dimensions.

Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Last edited by Umi_Ryuzuki; Jan 15, 2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 04:01 PM
Ladysmith Vancouver Island
Joined Feb 2008
577 Posts
I'm about the undertake in this myself .. mainly just to be able to put them in the trunk of the car (even stacked if needed)

my favorite design is pretty simple ... basically make the stand with the bottom base slightly larger then the model, and then a box that slips over top with latchs to lock it to the base.

ofcourse even simpler would be to find tupperware containers that fit the model .. build the stand to lock into the container... but my current stuff is WW2 warships, and reaching into a container to pull it out doesn't thrill me.

I'm sure both methods and more are displayed in the links above
Reckless is offline Find More Posts by Reckless
Old Jan 15, 2012, 05:38 PM
Tin Can Sailor
Alabama, USA
Joined Feb 2009
761 Posts
Thanks for the replies. The case Umi showed was more along the lines of what I had in mind. I did search around and had seen the hillbilly boxes but sizing is going to be an issue I think. Am thinking more along the lines of building a stand that can have sides and a top attached for safe transport. Then at the pond just drop the sides and presto, a ship on display. Would also take away the risk of having to life it out of the case.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 07:40 PM
Dried fish eater
Joined Mar 2011
182 Posts
The transportation case for my STOUT.
It is better to have been able to remove a mast for storage.

JPCAT is offline Find More Posts by JPCAT
Old Jan 15, 2012, 09:47 PM
Tin Can Sailor
Alabama, USA
Joined Feb 2009
761 Posts
JP, now that is really nice.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:39 PM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
1,999 Posts
Transport Cases

Mine are like Umi's, just not all of them, are not currently set up to go on an aircraft. My sides, bolt on with flat head, brass screws, that go into brass threaded inserts. I use slotted screws, so I can use a dime, and remove the side for inspection. I used to carry a screwdriver, but I am sure TSA, would want to keep it. CB
CaptCB is online now Find More Posts by CaptCB
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:48 PM
Tin Can Sailor
Alabama, USA
Joined Feb 2009
761 Posts
Thats what I had in mind CB. There are some screw like things that they use to attach the side of some pressed wood furniture, a male and a female part. I was thinking that Lowes might have something like that and I could get some thin plywood and make some sides and a top to attach to my existing stands. The part you used might be smaller/better.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:23 PM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
1,999 Posts
Seadog,

I just made mine so that my stands just slide into the case, with the boat on them. Then I have a adjustable brace that keeps the boat in place on the stand. I tape any loose house pieces to the hull, before closing up the box. My one boat has made between 5-7 rides, in an overhead compartment. Today, I think I would do the same as UMI, and make sure, it fit the SMALLEST, airline, carry-on dimensions. You don't want them to have to "throw it" in the belly. CB
CaptCB is online now Find More Posts by CaptCB
Old Jan 16, 2012, 06:14 AM
UK
Joined Jan 2008
120 Posts
Most of my models tend to be based on ships so something akin a "coffin" shape has to be used. The masts can usually be detached which cuts down on the height of the box.
Having made some really overweight boxes I now try to use thinner wood. The strips sold for panelling seem to work OK. Glue them together to suit the beam of the model plus some foam packing. Then cut to the desired length and height.
The corners are reinforced with some square strips, front and back made from hardboard, the back being fixed and the front bottom hinged for access. A piece of plywood is usually needed underneath the top of the box so as to spread the load from the handle.
So for these boxes have allowed for safe transport to and from the sailing waters. Perhaps not immediately obvious, they also make for safe storage when the model is not in use. Who hasn't knocked the odd bit of a model when working on something else?
Glynn Guest
GlynnG is offline Find More Posts by GlynnG
Old Jan 16, 2012, 09:13 AM
Bradford West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2010
1,625 Posts
Although this is a UK address, there are many sites on your side of the pond that supply the same type of components.

http://www.theelectronicsshop.co.uk/

Easy to put together and use whatever sheeting materials to suit.

Regards Ian.

Look at flight case solutions.
Circlip is offline Find More Posts by Circlip
Last edited by Circlip; Jan 17, 2012 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Link error
Old Jan 16, 2012, 12:00 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,208 Posts
I would also recommend using thinner materials for the box cover and sides.
I used 3/8" plywood for the bottom and three sides of my box, and had to use
the thinner 1/8 and 1/16" material for the large faces. The box ended up weighing
eight pounds, and was a bit much to carry around when walking to locations that
offered sailing opportunities.

Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Jan 16, 2012, 03:13 PM
太刀風
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Jan 2003
1,063 Posts
Carrying case for Revelle Schnelleboot 1/72nd scale. Awaiting leather luggage handle.
Tachikaze is offline Find More Posts by Tachikaze
Old Jan 16, 2012, 03:47 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,357 Posts
From a sponsor's link here... not cheap, but nice, and could fit many of our boats:

53" x 18" x 22"

http://www.helihobby.com/product-p/lp-m0118.htm
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350