Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:21 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wollins View Post
I'n seriously looking at that one as well ... will it run a HVLP gun though?

Colin
For continuous gun operation you need to know the CFM requirements of the gun. If the gun needs 8 CFM @ 40 psi, the compressor need to put out 8 CFM @ 40 psi or more to keep up with the gun. For model work you can cut the compressor CFM a bit as the panels we paint aren't that large. Depending on the compressor, the top pressure cut off will be 130ish to 150ish. You have the high pressure setting down to the gun pressure as a "cushion" in the storage tank will give you a bit of time before you hit the low side of your pressure the gun requires. So even if the compressor falls a bit short of CFM, it's not like you can't use it very effectively to paint with. That is what I do and I get along just fine even when doing some paint work on a car as I mentioned in a previous post.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FAA & Model avaition
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2012, 07:33 PM
Joined Jan 2006
262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wollins View Post
I'n seriously looking at that one as well ... will it run a HVLP gun though?

Colin
My litlle Rolands will run my IWATA LPH80 all day long non stop; and I have the big tip on it. I have also used the mini detail gun from Harbor Freight on and it ran very well, as well as on a very large compressor.

The best thing is it is quiet and does not trip the breakers of blow fuses, as such I can run it almost anywhere at anytime not worrying that I will wake anyone up, or knock the lights out.

You can even be standing next to it when it is running and have a conversation. I
must remember to keep it far away from what I am spraying, as the nose is not an issue, but over spraying getting in it still would be. It does have a smaller tank so I initially was worried about spraying, but for models detail guns are all that are needed

I have run a larger gun for a couple of quick sprays on big cabinets, that gun spray pattern was over 12 inches so it would paint a model real fast; but I waited between patterns. The gun pattern was really to large maybe even big for spraying a car.

All my guns are now HLVP. I was told if I went that route to stick to it.
gzkpez is offline Find More Posts by gzkpez
Old Jul 13, 2012, 07:53 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,712 Posts
HVLP guns require lots of air. Typical specs are 10-15 CFM Here's an article on picking a HVLP compressor.

Here's the specs for a HVLP gun.
Description
HVLP stands for high-volume, low-pressure, and spray guns incorporating this technology give you better, more consistent coverage than conventional spray guns, and with minimal messy overspray.

High volume, low pressure (HVLP) material transfer
Designed for automotive/industrial use
20 oz. gravity feed gun with 1.4mm tip for top coats, 1.8mm tip for primers
4.3 oz. detail gun with 1.0mm tip
Kit includes: paint filter, two bristle brushes and one wool brush for cleaning, plus durable blow mold storage case

Required air supply: 1-3 HP compressor
Required pressure: 30-35 PSI (large gun), 25-30 PSI (small gun)
Average air consumption: 12 CFM @ 43 PSI (large gun), 9 CFM @ 43 PSI (detail gun)
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Jul 18, 2012, 07:22 PM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,634 Posts
Aerogance is online now Find More Posts by Aerogance
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:35 AM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2009
912 Posts
I am struggling with trying to find what psi and CFM will be needed to spray paint latex onto dacron covered planes. It seems that 7 - 12 CFM is needed.

The low volume spray guns are really expensive. And I want to spray latex, not oil based paint. I am looking at a compressor that will put out 7 CFMs at 40 psi.

http://www.sears.com/gmc-power-equip...&blockType=G71 $369 7 CFM at 40 lbs free shipping through Friday 65 pounds, no cart. No ratings, yet.
wuest3141 is online now Find More Posts by wuest3141
Old Aug 31, 2012, 03:12 AM
Joined Feb 2010
100 Posts
I would be quite surprised if that compressor could produce a true 7cfm of "free air". Most 2HP rated compressors I have seen are closer to 3-4cfm.

I have never used latex paint, but I tried to run a small touch up gravity gun with a 2HP 3cfm compressor, with the gun throttled back as far as I could on all 3 adjustments, and the compressor just kept it going, but was running flat out with no break, so it got hot and started leaking oil.

I then got a 7.5cfm 2.75HP v-twin compressor (AUD$315) and it copes quite easily with the gun on the same settings and shuts down from time to time.

I think that most small guns are rated for around 12-14cfm to be able to run fully "open".

Colin
Andy01 is offline Find More Posts by Andy01
Old Sep 03, 2012, 12:05 AM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,634 Posts
It works if you do small parts with breaks to let the unit cycle back up.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:38 PM
Joined Oct 2012
1 Posts
just wanted to let you guys know that harbor freight has some good compressors that are real cheap and well made and have some made specifically for airbrushing price range from like $48.00 to $68.00 and of course larger ones for other jobs.hopes this helps.
lonbree is offline Find More Posts by lonbree
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:21 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,821 Posts
Be very careful with HP numbers. My old (40 years+) sears compressor has a 2 HP motor on it. A later model has a 3HP motor on it. If you look at the amperage rating they both draw the same amount. I think the MFG's are taking the starting amps, which is quite high, and using it to skew the number upwards. Look at the "running" amps for the true tale.

CFM and max pressure are really what you need to look at on a compressor.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FAA & Model avaition
Old Nov 02, 2012, 12:54 AM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,634 Posts
You also want to make sure the motor is continuous duty rated. Any of the large units with induction motors will be fine if run continuously, but the small compressors are a different story. Oil bath helps in this case.