HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2012, 01:07 AM
"RC ADDICT" in Toronto!
Toronto Canada
Joined Aug 2004
1,741 Posts
Discussion
Air compressor advice

Looking to get into airbrushing etc ... so the compressor that I'm looking to get is basically just for that. I've heard people say that I should get the biggest I can afford etc since I may find other uses for it down the road etc ...however just looking to use it for painting.

Here's the thing though ... I'd like to get enough compressor to cover airbrushing AND HVLP painting. I've heard that one needs at least a 1HP compressor to power a HVLP gun but I have no clue.

My question is ... would this compressor be adequate for both?

Colin
wollins is offline Find More Posts by wollins
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2012, 06:35 PM
Joined Feb 2010
101 Posts
I am no expert, but recently gone through the same process.

My thoughts are that your linked compressor would be OK for airbrushing, but no good at all for anything bigger. Even for airbrushing a 1.5 gallon (6 litre) tank would mean that that compressor would run fairly often and they are NOISY, which may be irritating.

I started with a Iwata airbrush and a cheap $80 3cfm, 2HP, 24 litre (6 gallon) tank compressor (obviously any non-oil-free compressor needs a filter/oil & water trap). It worked fine for the airbrush, but as soon as I tried to use a small spray gun, I had problems. Even with the gun gagged back to a small pattern, bare minimum air flow and low pressure, the compressor ran continuously, and very soon started leaking oil from the crankcase cover. Even the small 1.5mm guns generally require around 7-12cfm to perform.

I took the leaking compressor back to the shop for a refund (it was 4 weeks old), and spent about $320 on a small 2.75HP, 7.3cfm, 36 litre (9 gallon) V-twin compressor. It is so much better, pumps up the tank much faster, probably a little quieter (although still noisy), and runs only intermittently with the spray gun on the same settings as before, so I would be able to broaden the spray pattern etc as required. Even it would be marginal for anything other than small spray guns I suspect. This was what I bought;

http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/C327

So, don't buy too cheap unless you only ever plan to use it for airbrushing.

Colin
Andy01 is offline Find More Posts by Andy01
Old Jan 25, 2012, 05:03 PM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
HP is the least important rating.

You need to look at the CFM (air volume) at a given pressure to make sure it will perform. If the compressor is too small, you can still paint, but you spray a bit, then wait for the compressor to catch up.

A DeVilbis GTi gravity feed gun requires 12.5 - 16.0 CFM at 30 psi at the inlet.

That is a good bit of air flow. A quick look at Sears shows there 1.6 - 1.9 HP portable compressors to be in the 6.3 - 7.2 CFM at 40 psi range.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:34 PM
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
781 Posts
The main compressor can be any size, you can use one of those twin tank oil less compressors and use a HVLP gravity automotive touch up/detail gun, most of them spray at 10 psi., or an air brush two stage that requires around 30 psi. for automotive type paints. I use the air brush and really like it. Leroy
Leroy Gardner is online now Find More Posts by Leroy Gardner
Old Jul 04, 2012, 02:51 PM
Hey Now
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Joined Feb 2004
2,655 Posts
iuiuhiuh
speleopower is offline Find More Posts by speleopower
Last edited by speleopower; Sep 16, 2012 at 11:22 AM. Reason: ohihluh
Old Jul 04, 2012, 03:18 PM
United States, CA, Brentwood
Joined Jun 2012
451 Posts
First, I'm not a fan of oil less compressors, at least for nothing bigger than a airbrush compressor. They tend to be noisier, and heat up twice as much creating a lot more water in the tank. I bought this one about 3 years ago, it runs almost everything I put at it, although the impact guns tend to drain it quick. Right now with the 25% off coupon and the sale, it would be right about 125.00. You would still need a good filter unit IMO for painting.

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...sor-67847.html
Underthetire is offline Find More Posts by Underthetire
Old Jul 05, 2012, 08:40 PM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,819 Posts
I run a 3.5hp 13 gal oil less compressor. Like speleopower says it doesnt turn on very often. I also dont have any problems with moisture like the smaller compressors I used to use. I run a paasche air brush and a touch up hvlp. When it needs to recharge, I just wait a few minutes for the moisture to condense some, then get back to painting.
Edwin
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Jul 06, 2012, 02:33 PM
United States, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Mar 2012
16 Posts
Just a heads up, I found a 20 gallon, 1.8 HP compressor at Home Depot for $179.00 out the door. I have been looking around lately for a larger compressor that can handle my airbrushes and a larger gun (6.0 CFM HVLP) this compressor can do it all. It is pretty quiet for a larger style, guessing it runs at about 70 DBs, can't really measure it, but it is OK for my shop (others have indicated that it is noisy, however I did not find that to be the case, of course my hearing might not be what it used to be, YMMV. It takes about 10 mins. to fully charge the tank at 155 PSI, which is where the cutoff is set and holds very well, the regulator works good and is accurate. Everything comes with the compressor excluding a water filter/dryer, which I added. All the fittings, hose, water filter, etc and out the door, with tax. = $239.00 For what you get I don't think you can beat the deal. It is made by Husky and I believe made in China, however, all the parts and the tank look and feel quality. Hope this helps.
Dcnlarry is offline Find More Posts by Dcnlarry
Last edited by Dcnlarry; Jul 06, 2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 01:00 AM
United States, AK, Ketchikan
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
I've been thinking recently about purchasing an airbrush setup as well. I currently live in a condo, so having a compressor that is quiet is a big deal. It's either that or keep going through cans of Propel. Right now I'm just looking at a small setup for painting smaller parts, but may be wanting to paint entire smaller sized planes as well (50" span range or smaller), so I don't think I really need anything big.
bdshort is offline Find More Posts by bdshort
Old Jul 09, 2012, 07:22 AM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,819 Posts
My wife used air tanks, dont recall the gas she used. But had a spare always on hand. She used paasche and iwata (?sp) or something like that.
Edwin
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Jul 09, 2012, 12:52 PM
United States, AK, Ketchikan
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
Actually that's a good point - I have a pile of dive gear including two 100CF steel tanks, and access to an air compressor for free fills. I should just use those. So I guess I should look for a suitable adapter/regulator...
bdshort is offline Find More Posts by bdshort
Old Jul 09, 2012, 09:17 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
HP is the least important rating.

You need to look at the CFM (air volume) at a given pressure to make sure it will perform. If the compressor is too small, you can still paint, but you spray a bit, then wait for the compressor to catch up.
I have an old (40 years) sears. It is a 2 HP, 20 gallon tank but I don't remember the CFM rating. OH, it was made when 2 HP was 2 HP. The same motor today would be 3 to 5 HP. Mine draws 16 amps at 220 volts if that gives a clue???

Anyway, it will run a full size HVLP gun for a bit until you drain the tank and need to wait for it to catch up. I was able to paint the complete side of a Honda Civic on one "tank full" of air with a bit to spare.

Ken
kenh3497 is online now Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:43 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,524 Posts
FWIW, I was in the market for a new compressor last year. Here's the thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1553539

Lots of good info.... I went the the Rolair. Made in the USA, VERY QUIET, Fills VERY fast.. After using it for about 6-8 months now I can say it was worth every penny.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Jul 11, 2012, 02:45 PM
"RC ADDICT" in Toronto!
Toronto Canada
Joined Aug 2004
1,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcav8r2 View Post
FWIW, I was in the market for a new compressor last year. Here's the thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1553539

Lots of good info.... I went the the Rolair. Made in the USA, VERY QUIET, Fills VERY fast.. After using it for about 6-8 months now I can say it was worth every penny.
I'n seriously looking at that one as well ... will it run a HVLP gun though?

Colin
wollins is offline Find More Posts by wollins
Old Jul 11, 2012, 03:54 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wollins View Post
I'n seriously looking at that one as well ... will it run a HVLP gun though?

Colin
Can't say for sure, I just run an airbrush, palm nailer, brad nailer which it handles with ease. Give them a call....
http://www.rolair.net/contact/index.html
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2