HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2012, 07:01 PM
United States, MD
Joined Jan 2012
46 Posts
Help!
rubber band powered motor

hey everyone i always build guillows airplane kits just for fun. but now i feel like i should make them rubber powered but i have no clue how the rubber band power motor works i researched about it a lot but couldn't find a good result. i am currently working on the p51 b mustang but i am stuck at the motor part so if you guys can please help me out here it would be great
joyalflyer is offline Find More Posts by joyalflyer
Last edited by joyalflyer; Jan 14, 2012 at 07:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2012, 01:45 AM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,130 Posts
a good book about rubber powered models:
http://carstensbookstore.com/rupomoaibydo.html
If money is tight, maybe you can find it in a library someplace.

some on line info:
http://indoorduration.com/indoordurationarticles.htm
Recommend first link. The real book is better and has great pictures. THis is just the words.

where to get good rubber:
http://www.faimodelsupply.com/fai-sport.htm

It's not just the rubber motor. It can be tricky to trim these models so they fly well without a radio.

You may not be able to find it, but if you can, get a copy of William Mcombs' "Making Scale Model Airplanes Fly". Plus a magnifying glass to read it with. You can probably find a number of articles by him on line, and I'd expect them to be good, judging by the book. (really more like a booklet, but book length)
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:07 AM
United States, MD
Joined Jan 2012
46 Posts
thx for the info is there a possibility that u can make a video for how to make one thank you
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:25 AM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
Fast forward to about 6 min. That's the part where I tie the rubber motor and install it. It will be a little different with your kits since they are not as simple but you get the basic idea.

How to build a model airplane part 3.wmv (6 min 38 sec)

Zach
Tail Spin1 is offline Find More Posts by Tail Spin1
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:32 AM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
I forgot to mention, we use special rubber for our models. The kind of rubber bands that you can get at the office supply store don't work well. Our rubber is made specially for model airplanes.

As you saw in the video the rubber comes in one long strip and then it gets tied together to make a loop which is then installed in the model.

You can find the rubber here: http://www.tailspinaviation.com/shop...SetView=Thumb3

Zach
Tail Spin1 is offline Find More Posts by Tail Spin1
Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:50 PM
United States, MD
Joined Jan 2012
46 Posts
thank you so much this helped me in a way but i will be looking for a clearer videos thank you any ways
Old Jan 15, 2012, 02:08 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,534 Posts
If you're looking to get into rubber flying with Guillows kits I would suggest you build one of the more easily trimmed models from their kit lineup or look at building from scratch. Models such as their Javelin, Lancer or Arrow will generally come out lighter in weight and let you achieve a good flying trim more easily than the scale models. But if you insist on making a scale model then choose one of the high wing designs. The high wing models will trim far more easily than any low or mid wing design.

What is it that you don't understand about how the rubber power drive is set up? You need a propeller with a wire shaft that ends in a hook. On the shaft is a bearing. Often this bearing is a nylon one which looks a lot like a short screw that has no threading and with a small hole down the middle for the wire. Since you've built some Guillow's kits already you must have seen the bearing buttons, wire shafts and props that came in the kits. The kits also show how to set all this up on the plans. The only thing that they may not indicate very well is that the rear dowel that is used for the motor anchor point is not glued in. It should be left free to slip in and out to allow motor changing. Or in the case of the stick model in Tail Spin's video there's a small wire hook at the end of the motor stick where the motor knot ended up. After that you just wind the motor by turning the prop backwards as Tail Spin did at the end of the video.

The Guillow kits used to come with a strip of rubber in the box. Don't they have that any more? To make up a motor the ends are tied using a simple square knot. There's a bunch of knot tieing websites out there and likely on You Tube as well. Just google for "square knot tying" to see an example.

Still confused? Which part is not making sense?
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Last edited by BMatthews; Jan 15, 2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 05:43 PM
Joined Dec 2001
7,130 Posts
I agree that the Javelin flies well! Made one MANY years ago.

Strongly recommend one of the books I mentioned. Many questions will be answered.

Where are you located? If there are other people flying free flight near you, I'm sure you could learn a lot by watching. Just don't talk to them while they are winding the rubber!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2012, 08:06 PM
United States, MD
Joined Jan 2012
46 Posts
thank you so much guys.when you said the bearing is nylon what do you mean? ill put up a pic of the model im building
Old Jan 15, 2012, 08:08 PM
United States, MD
Joined Jan 2012
46 Posts
im in maryland ellicott city
Old Jan 15, 2012, 08:59 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,534 Posts
OK, nylon is a type of very tough and durable plastic that has fairly low friction when rubbing against other materials.

From this sort of question I'm going to assume that you're either very young, English is not your first language or that you've been highly isolated from doing much in the way of crafts or other mechanical stuff. Which is it?

It may help us to give you better help in the areas you're weak in or at least to understand why we're having to explain some fairly simple things... simple to us at least. Don't get me wrong though. You've already demonstrated that you have the ability to learn if you've been able to assemble a Guillows kit. And in fact they are far from easy. But obviously the terms we're using are just not making sense and it would help to know why.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Jan 15, 2012, 09:47 PM
United States, MD
Joined Jan 2012
46 Posts
Oh no English is my first language its just that i am trying to use abbreviate words to convey what i am saying faster and i am a freshmen. So do you know where i can get the type of nylon your talking about
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:31 PM
Joined Dec 2001
7,130 Posts
some nylon bearings shown in the middle of this page:
http://tinyurl.com/7b22wa4
However, the kind of bearing should come with the kit, usually.

You might get in touch with the DC Maxecuters. They meet fairly close to you.
http://dcmaxecuter.org/
They also put out a great newsletter.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:53 PM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
Nylon Bearings.
http://www.tailspinaviation.com/shop...nylon-bearing/

Zach