HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by DPlumpe, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 02:31 PM
AMA 8711, FCC K4WZA
Salem, SC
Joined Mar 2003
522 Posts
Discussion
Hurst Bowers' model designs

I'm a friend and fan of the late Hurst Bowers - a great modeler and true Southern Gentleman. He co-founded the highly regarded Flyline Models kit company, was inducted into the AMA's Model Aviation Hall of Fame, and left us with about 80 model designs that I know of. I keep a list of his designs to preserve his work and promote his memory.

I've done parts layouts and had parts lasercut for some of his designs. So far I've done build threads on three:
34-5/8" Buhl Sport Airsedan (April 1966 Aeromodeller)
39" Kinner Sportster (Flyline)
39" Farman Moustique (Flyline)

These are all good fliers, though I had to modify the Buhl Sport some and the Kinner could use some washout. The Farman is my favorite electric flier!

And Dick Everett's built the 30" Lincoln Sport bipe (June 1975 Flying Models) from my parts.

-Dave Plumpe
DPlumpe is offline Find More Posts by DPlumpe
Last edited by DPlumpe; Jan 17, 2012 at 12:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2013, 01:43 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,702 Posts
Very nice looking models.
I like the way they are finished.
John
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Mar 31, 2013, 03:47 PM
AMA 8711, FCC K4WZA
Salem, SC
Joined Mar 2003
522 Posts
Thanks much, John. Mine are LiteSpan/GMtissue/Coverlite with a couple airbrushed coats thin dope to even it out & bring to a semigloss. Registration nbrs are doped & Balsarited Litespan and most smaller markings are homemade decals. Dick Everett covered his Lincoln Sport with silkspan & Modelspan tissue & dope. I'd guess Hurst used colored tissue and clear dope on his Aristocrat, but that's just a guess.

The Kinner & Farman are both in the shop after being dumbthumbed. Working on the Farman now to rebuild left wing (tree branch leapt out), replace both wingtips, and fix some broken fuselage stringers, etc.

-Dave
DPlumpe is offline Find More Posts by DPlumpe