HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Thermaler, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 03:02 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,190 Posts
Super Cirrus II

The Super Cirrus II by Rick Reuland from Model Airplane News 9/1978.
I got a mold from Ken Bates at a Wood Crafters meet that might be for this one, need Ken to verify that. Are you reading Ken??

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2012, 09:16 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,190 Posts
More Jim Gray

The September 1978 column. Lots of info for the BUILDER, I know there are a few of us still BUILDING. Most of us have learned the stuff Jim covers but I know there are a few BUILDERS that were not around or into BUILDER when this was printed. I hope it helps.
There are a couple of really neat planes mentioned. Hi Johnsons Saloma is one of them, we need to dig up anything we have about any of Hi's stuff. Plans need to be scanned as well as articles other wise it will be lost if it is not already.
The other is the Osprey, I wouldn't be here if not for the designer. The work he is doing at Skybench is something we all should be thankful for.

As metion ealier, the Zephyr needs to be found and saved also. Herk has started, if you/he doesn't have the web space to preserve them, I do.
The NSS magazine is another. If you guys have them but not the time or scanner to scan and post PM me, I have both!!

FYI, I am scanning at 300 dots per inch. Doing a little massaging and viola! readable copy! Saving as jpeg unless it is color, those are gif to meet the file size limits here.

Joe
Old Feb 12, 2012, 09:27 AM
Life-abstract=conformity
S.F. Bay Area
Joined Aug 2002
1,879 Posts
Quote:
FYI, I am scanning at 300 dots per inch. Doing a little massaging and viola! readable copy! Saving as jpeg unless it is color, those are gif to meet the file size limits here.
I can sure appreciate your efforts on this whole project Joe.
Sorry to say most of these posts don't work to well for me.Maybe if I save and reopen the file it would work better.
Any chance you can pdf these?
I have an old Epson all-in-one type gizmo that creates pdf files of my scanned items.Works too good,the files turn out huge and I have to adjust the settings for photos or text or both.
I wonder if I should send you all my old RCM's? You prolly have them now don't you?
Skies.
Jay.
P.S. Ever see the WACO booklets Frank Weston published/
AirBornOne is offline Find More Posts by AirBornOne
Old Feb 12, 2012, 09:39 AM
My Ex-wife Hates Airplanes
Canada, BC, Chilliwack
Joined Feb 2007
174 Posts
Joe,

By the looks of it you have all the issues of Model Builder. If you don't and you need something, I believe I do have them all (unless there are loaners that haven't come back)

Cheers, Nigel
monocoupe110 is offline Find More Posts by monocoupe110
Old Feb 12, 2012, 10:13 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBornOne View Post
I can sure appreciate your efforts on this whole project Joe.
Sorry to say most of these posts don't work to well for me.Maybe if I save and reopen the file it would work better.
Any chance you can pdf these?
I have an old Epson all-in-one type gizmo that creates pdf files of my scanned items.Works too good,the files turn out huge and I have to adjust the settings for photos or text or both.
I wonder if I should send you all my old RCM's? You prolly have them now don't you?
Skies.
Jay.
P.S. Ever see the WACO booklets Frank Weston published/
Jay,
I have seen one of the Waco booklets, didn't think much of it at the time being a total woodie head at the time now I wish I had scanned it.
I don't have the ability to save multiple page PDF's. I know that if you right click, "open in new window or tab" they are all good. The silly overlay/resized thing that the college boys designing websites have come up with sucks as do "mouse over" drop downs and previews. In my humble opinion it is there for the million monkeys with keyboards that couldn't find there ...... off my soap box now. Plain HTML forever

I have been scooping up back issues off fleabay for construction articles of the Nostalgia sailplanes. Best deal so far - $.99 + 3.95 shipping for 9 issues for a "buy now" lot priced at $30! They won't do that again!!!!
Been laughing at the one asking for $12 an issue + $5.15 shipping. Get real guys, $6 shipped is max value.
If you guys want to send me your precious copies you can PM me, we can sort it out there. I really don't want to have 50,000 magazines to scan here at one time though, I do have a few projects on the BUILDING boards.
Going to have to inventory what I have first.

Joe
Old Feb 12, 2012, 10:36 AM
United States, IN, Grabill
Joined May 2004
1,525 Posts
Interesting thread!
I am still slowwwwlllyyyy working on Bob Steele's Legionaire 140
Just been busy with work , and a home remodelling project that has taken up most of my spare time.
I also have some pictures from one of SOAR's Great Races I'll scan and post when I locate them again.
Ft Wayne LOFT went two years, and Bob Steele was our team captain
We placed second and Joe Wurts came in first.
We flew a Constellation and Joe flew his "Wiley Coyote".

Ed DeBolt
ErcoupeEd is offline Find More Posts by ErcoupeEd
Old Feb 12, 2012, 11:48 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,190 Posts
Aerotow an Aquila

Yup, Aerotow an Aquila!

Joe
Old Feb 12, 2012, 08:08 PM
Life-abstract=conformity
S.F. Bay Area
Joined Aug 2002
1,879 Posts
Quote:
I know that if you right click, "open in new window or tab" they are all good.
Doh!
Quote:
The silly overlay/resized thing that the college boys designing websites have come up with sucks as do "mouse over" drop downs and previews.
And amen.
Thanks again for your efforts Joe.
Now I can settle in and really check this stuff out.
Skies.
Jay
AirBornOne is offline Find More Posts by AirBornOne
Old Feb 12, 2012, 11:27 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,190 Posts
Who Remembers the NSS?

I still have my card and a few other things I found while looking for it.

Joe
Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:32 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,190 Posts
RCM June 1976

The Mayor and the Model by Dick Shilling.
I bet Terry felt good about promoting the hobby that day, I wonder if the Mayor ever found out Terry would be representing the USA in F3B in the near future.
I also wonder if the kids found out what company they were in and if they were influnced into the hobby . . . . .
The whole article is gray scale, the pictures are the color that they were, doh!

Joe
Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:51 PM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,747 Posts
I wonder if some of the newbies here can figure out what that red and white painted clothespin on the transmitter antenna is supposed to be for?
s2000 is offline Find More Posts by s2000
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:20 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,190 Posts
Winch Plans RCM 6-1976

Bet you can't guess what issue of RCM I got today
Winch plans and Lee Renuads "On the Line" with F3B selection news.

s2000
Pin? What pin? The one above the shoulders?

Joe
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:37 PM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,339 Posts
This would be for the April or May, 1976 issue of RCM. That was the first year for official F3B team selection and the only year we had a large team selection program with quarter final, semifinal and final contests. There were a lot on entries for the first year. Very few of them came back for the next team selection two years later. I was CD for one quarter final and the southeast semifinal contests. For years, my 1976 F3B sailplane hung from the ceiling of my shop to remind me to never do that again.
ChuckA is offline Find More Posts by ChuckA
Old Feb 14, 2012, 04:51 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,190 Posts
Close Chuck, June.

Joe
Old Feb 14, 2012, 06:09 PM
May the Wind Always be Good
Webster, Minnesota
Joined Feb 2007
495 Posts
RC Sailplane Model Soaring

Found an copy of Model Soaring April 1981 had a good write up on Competitive Thermal Hunting and What Makes a Good Club
Mr. Kite is online now Find More Posts by Mr. Kite