SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Thermaler, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:30 PM
Joined Feb 2013
4 Posts
History

Hi Larry,

I fly R/C once a year with my nephew. He is eleven and I hope he takes an interest. Paul Naton showed up at the 15m nationals and he let me fly the latest HLG. Stunning performance.

Ben Clerx, Mike Reggan, Paul Trist and I flew a regional comp in 1998 in an ASK21 and had a blast. F3B guys make great full size racers. I still have the original WT fuselage from 1968. I will make some wings for it and fly woody/geezer class some day. It is a big fuselage due to the reed R/C it was designed for. Le Grey named it white trash after my father flew it through a light pole. Repairs were done in the color of silk I had on hand.

Regards
Rick
003R is offline Find More Posts by 003R
Last edited by 003R; Feb 11, 2013 at 12:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:11 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,899 Posts
Rick,
WE share good friends... I fly with all of them. I bought Walts 717V Discus and fly with Paul when I can. LJ
Larry Jolly is online now Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:39 PM
United States, CA, Santa Ana
Joined Jul 2010
470 Posts
Larry,
It looks like a TIGHT fit.

Ross
harborflyer is offline Find More Posts by harborflyer
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:05 PM
Fill, Sand, Repeat...
United States, CO, Todd Creek
Joined Nov 2012
15 Posts
So. Cal soaring nostalgia from 70's & 80's

Dave Craig’s Post (#708) brought back lots of great memories…
Here’s a bit of history for the So. Cal folks from 30+ years ago…

I had the pleasure of competing with (and learning from) some truly wonderful people during the late 70’s through the 80’s. Went to lot’s of SULA monthlies, SC^2 and PSS’s Rose Bowl contests. Here are a few pics of some “younger” familiar faces (e.g. LJ, Fred Weaver, Jerry Kranick, Keith Kindrick, Craig Foxgord, Sid Hamilton, etc…) and a bit of history.

Since the 90’s, I have been “distracted” by Pattern and IMAC, but am really getting the itch to get back to soaring! Thanks to Thermaler for helping share the history and compiling a lot of soaring nostalgia!

A few comments about the pictures…

Pic 1 is a PSS Rose Bowl contest around 1981. Note the guy on the far left with the white hat, recoginize him?.....that is Gary Ittner.

Pic 2 should have lots of familiar faces (from ca. 1981)…A young LJ on the far left, I’m the “slouchy” kid on the far right (next to Sid Hamilton)

Pic 3 - Visalia winners in 1982 (maybe 1981), me on the far left standing, next to big Ben M.

Pic 4 (ca. 1980) is highly modified Zephyr Deuce (from Bob Owens). I used Bob’s 2m wing plan, but redesigned the fuse and tail…Built for Zoom launches!

Speaking of Zoom launches, anybody recognize picture 5? The “Gorilla” winch…for those that aren’t familiar, that big disc is a heavy flywheel….spin it up and then use the regular winch drum to launch…about half way up dive at the turnaround and step on the foot pedal that engages the drum onto the flywheel and ZOOOOMMMMM. One of two things happened, killer launch or epic wing failure! Larry J. could probably chime with more details (I believe it was a response to getting around the one-battery rule or 12 volt rule?)…This picture was taken around 1982 at the 2m World Cup Quals at Cal State University, Dominguez Hills.

The final picture is of a gentleman that was a fixture at most So. Cal soaring meets, Howard Short. Back then, my brother and I traveled with Howard almost every weekend to contests all over the LA and Antelope Valley area. What great times!
E_Richard is offline Find More Posts by E_Richard
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:19 PM
Glider Geek!
Escalon, CA
Joined Oct 2004
140 Posts
3 Romeo,

It is great to see you posting here on RCG. I miss those old days at High Country Soaring hanging with Tom and the group and hanging with you at Reno as well. Those were some fun times. I am glad you posted the ISR results. I am proud to say that many of those winners, Arana, Weaver, and Walters are all good friends of mine.

Take care!

Shawn Lenci
lenci1938e is online now Find More Posts by lenci1938e
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:24 PM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,754 Posts
Second picture above, From top left, I see LJ, Chuck Beeman? Craig Foxgord, Randy Spencer, Keith Kendrick, not sure of the others. Bottom Ken Nelson, Phil Harris, don't know the rest. Wow, memories.
s2000 is offline Find More Posts by s2000
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:10 PM
LSF V 79
Joined Jul 2002
306 Posts
superskeg is offline Find More Posts by superskeg
Last edited by superskeg; Oct 11, 2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:23 PM
irvine, ca
Joined Apr 2002
257 Posts
I have it from the builder of the Gorilla winch, Dick Odle that the winch pictured above is the "safety winch" not the Gorilla winch which was a traditional drum driven by two motors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Richard View Post
Dave Craig’s Post (#708) brought back lots of great memories…
Here’s a bit of history for the So. Cal folks from 30+ years ago…

Speaking of Zoom launches, anybody recognize picture 5? The “Gorilla” winch…for those that aren’t familiar, that big disc is a heavy flywheel….spin it up and then use the regular winch drum to launch…about half way up dive at the turnaround and step on the foot pedal that engages the drum onto the flywheel and ZOOOOMMMMM. One of two things happened, killer launch or epic wing failure!

Also mentioned here ... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=47
jrs_123 is online now Find More Posts by jrs_123
Last edited by jrs_123; Feb 18, 2013 at 12:16 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:35 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,575 Posts
The Rose Bowl pic, the gent in the front row in blue/green shirt is Tom Kallevang from Chicago.

Marc
R.M. Gellart is online now Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:14 PM
irvine, ca
Joined Apr 2002
257 Posts
From Model Builder Dec 1984, by Bill Forey

also described here ... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=15
jrs_123 is online now Find More Posts by jrs_123
Last edited by jrs_123; Feb 20, 2013 at 11:12 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:47 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVSS Boss View Post
The Rose Bowl pic, the gent in the front row in blue/green shirt is Tom Kallevang from Chicago.

Marc
Nope, I was never that skinny
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:49 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,575 Posts
Gave it my best shot...

Marc
R.M. Gellart is online now Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:29 AM
Fill, Sand, Repeat...
United States, CO, Todd Creek
Joined Nov 2012
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs_123 View Post
I have it from the builder of the Gorilla winch, Dick Odel that the winch pictured above is the "safety winch" not the Gorilla winch which was a traditional drum driven by two motors.
Hey Jim,
You are correct....thanks for clearing it up (and the copy of the article). After 30 years, the ol' memory is not quite as fresh

I do remember the true Gorilla winch too, back then those guys from the San Fernando Valley Silent Flyers were really pushing the limits. I think that even the winch motors themselves were completely rebuilt...more windings, extra brushes, better bearings, etc. Anything to get that extra bit of advantage within the battery rules.
I was at that contest that your MB article describes and I do remember the delay and discussion about the "Safety winch" being within the rules. One of the issues was that is would be an unfair advantage for those models that could take the launch loads (e.g. the Eismann Focus) over the others that couldn't (where something built like a Sagitta would "explode" from the Uber-Zoom)
I vaguely remember one wing failure using this winch that was quite spectacular!
Watching the procedure to get that flywheel going and the whole launch process was quite entertaining....funny, "safety" is NOT what I remember about the Safety winch.
BTW, I see you are in Irvine...I'm a UCI Alum, so I know your area well....at least I did 30 years ago.

-Erik
E_Richard is offline Find More Posts by E_Richard
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:39 AM
glider pilot in training
United States, AR, Searcy
Joined Aug 2006
647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs_123 View Post
I have it from the builder of the Gorilla winch, Dick Odel that the winch pictured above is the "safety winch" not the Gorilla winch which was a traditional drum driven by two motors.
I wonder if this monster still exists out there somewhere?
webdragon is offline Find More Posts by webdragon
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:38 AM
Retirement is good
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Jun 2011
435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdragon View Post
I wonder if this monster still exists out there somewhere?
No… gave that puppy away a long time ago for scrap. Gary Ittner did the drum and collaborated on the design. I built the thing with two cogged timing belts, stock LS Ford motors, and two volt meters to monitor status. The drum was mounted on a roller bearing shaft with a bicycle sprocket and “flip-over” chain to prevent line from spooling out (had to follow the rules you know… lol).

We used 280# braided nylon so when you stepped on the pedal the model was gone… now! No stretch, no building tension… gone! Given the “right” airframe the first Gorilla was a giggle.

At the Joliet F3B team trials Lee Renaud (rest his wonderful soul) walked up and said, paraphrasing: “You know Dick, soaring is about finesse, not brute force.” He was right… The Gorilla was correctly banned by the FAI and the AMA shortly thereafter.

Undaunted, Buddy Fox built the “Safety Winch.” It used the theory of stored energy and was (arguably) actually “safer” than the Gorilla. As physics rarely changes we now (for decades) use monofilament line to store energy. Same gig… different method.

Times have changed, materials discovered and airframe design has improved so today I launch my moldie off a simple winch with braided nylon to ridiculous altitudes. Boring… but safe.

Still have RO-15 pictured above and RO-16 flown at Joliet as well. All fond memories. Thanks Jim for reminding me…

Dick Odle
rofly is online now Find More Posts by rofly