SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Thermaler, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:07 PM
United States, CA, Rowland Heights
Joined Sep 2012
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jolly View Post
Econoaline,
The model is a Bob Smith " Sea Breeze" that featured profiles designed by Hi Johnson which is where the additional catalog originated. LJ
I was going to say the same thing. I had a Sea Breeze as my second model about 1979 or 1980. I used to live up Foxen Canyon in Santa Barbara County as a kid and tried teaching myself sloping on the hill that overlooks Firestone Winery. There were some experienced guys who flew that hill and I used to hang out with them to watch, but when I showed up with the Sea Breeze no one was around. Of course, as a teenager, I couldn't wait so I gave her a toss and had a nice flight but the landing was another story. Thanks for posting the photos.
_Rick R_ is offline Find More Posts by _Rick R_
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 03:06 PM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,563 Posts
<moved over from he "Shuttle" thread becasue it's not Shuttle related..>

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckA View Post
Maybe Frank or someone will tell what happened to his design that should have won best original design at the 74 SOAR Nats.
That must be his and Milt's Windsong 1500 (for 1500 square inches). Big, big airplane. Super-thin undercambered crescent of an airfoil. I think it fluttered at something like 15knots of airspeed...

He had the radio fail in it a year or two ago and damaged it pretty badly, but its still in the basement awaiting rebuild. The wing was so thin that it needed three separate I-beam spars to handle the launch loads. He's talked about reengineering the spar system with more modern materials, don't know if he'll get around to it or not.
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:51 PM
wlm
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Sep 2003
38 Posts
Legionairs

Thermaler. I think you have a Legionair 140 so I have a question for you. Mr. Kite posted a group of adds for legionairs and shuttles. #19 in the shuttle thread. On the 140 Legionair add
there was a list of comp. wins. 74 ama nats,75 soar nat, 75 us fai team, & 77 world fai speed record. I am trying to find a little infro. about these wins. From Chuck Andersons post we
find that rdeis"s dad Frank Deis won the 75 soar nat and I remember well Skip, LeMon, and
Dale winning the team championship F3B in S.A. in 75. What I am searching for is details
about the 74 ama nats win and the 77 world speed record. In the soaring history thread a lot
information has been posted. Do you recall any post that had details about the 74 & 77 events.
Tnks for any help you may be able to provide. Bill
wlm is offline Find More Posts by wlm
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:43 PM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,350 Posts
1974 SOAR Nats results

Frank's original design that placed second for best original was a pod and boom sailplane that looked very much like a Legionair. I thought it should have won best original. Afte the contest was over, Frank sat it on the ground behind his car while he opend the trunk only to have a woman drive over it. Here are the 74 SOAR Nats results as posted in the October 1974 Sailplane.
ChuckA is offline Find More Posts by ChuckA
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:45 AM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,563 Posts
Quote:
Frank sat it on the ground behind his car while he opend the trunk only to have a woman drive over it
I always wondered why there was a spare tip panel for that airplane in the wing rack. It seems that the rest of the wing was crushed as her tire rolled over it span-wise so that tip panel was all that remained. They built a complete new wing and kept the remaining tip as a spare.

Hey, Chuck, there's a story from that event about a bunch of pilots getting together to rebuild a damaged airplane overnight so it could compete the next day, do you remember that? I thought it was Frank's Windsong after it having been run over, but maybe it was something different? I keep getting the stories conflated together. (I'll look for a Windsong picture...)

Milt was telling me about him snatching a model out of the air to save it from spinning in after a radio failure, too...
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
Last edited by rdeis; Oct 16, 2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:15 PM
wlm
Joined Sep 2003
38 Posts
Tnks Chuck. You are the "go to man". From the 74 Soar Nats data you provided, I see that LeMon Payne won the Precision Duration Unlimited Event and I bet it was with a 140" Legionair. Do you have any information about the 1977 world fai speed record? Bill
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:25 AM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,350 Posts
I will check my issues of Sailplane but I don't remember any thing about the 1977 world fai speed record. Sailplane was primarily about thermal soaring in the US. I will check my Sailplane file tomorrow but I only remember comments about the speed record in the other magazines. (We did have several back in 1977). : )

At the 1974 SOAR Nats, the Hunsville Alabama Junior team was trying to repeat their 1973 Junior Team championship but one of the team members wiped out on the second day. Everybody pitched in and rebuilt the basket case overnight. It wasn't quite enough and they had to settle for second place in 1975, It was a remarkable rebuild using five-minute epoxy. No CA back then.
Last edited by ChuckA; Oct 18, 2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:14 AM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Apr 2003
1,640 Posts
1974 Soar NATS photo

L-R, Mark Smith, Otto Heitecker, these two Gentlemen were my hero's back in the day. Awesome pilots and great contributors to the RC Sailplane movement.
Their standing in front of the SOAR clubs score board, where would we be without Dan Pruss and his fellow SOAR club members.

Ray
Sky Bench ... Woodys Forever
WWW.Skybench.com
Ray Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Ray Hayes
Old Oct 20, 2012, 01:36 PM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,350 Posts
The SOAR Nats scoreboard never posted the results of the last round so we had to go to the banquet that night to find out who won. 1974 was Otto's last year in sailplane competition because he switched from flying models to the real thing. He did come back to the 75 SOAR Nats because he was last year's champion. I did get to spend an enjoyable 1974 Thanksgiving weekend talking to Otto when we both attended the Silver springs Maryland that established Soaring as an official AMA event. I don't remember if Ray attended that meeting.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 04:13 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,217 Posts
Cal Posthuma

A touch of Cal.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzNP...WEk/edit?pli=1

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:30 PM
wlm
Joined Sep 2003
38 Posts
Ray. Is Otto still on the green side of the grass? Bill
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:18 PM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Apr 2003
1,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlm View Post
Ray. Is Otto still on the green side of the grass? Bill
Otto and Mark are both gone.

Ray
Sky Bench ... Woodys Forever
WWW.Skybench.com
Ray Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Ray Hayes
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:43 PM
wlm
Joined Sep 2003
38 Posts
What a loss!! Tnks Ray. Bill
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:59 PM
wlm
Joined Sep 2003
38 Posts
Chuck. LJ suggested to me that the 1977 fai speed record may have been set at f3b trials in Pensacola, Fl in 77. Do you have any infro on this ? Bill
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:36 PM
United States, CA, Salton City
Joined Mar 2006
34 Posts
avatar designer/ milton swan/ willy was the test guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jolly View Post
I did fly an Avatar, it belonged to the designer if I remember he was Willie Richards and was a SULA regular in the late 70's. It had a stepped fuselage that kind of hid the tow hook. This was a familiar layout in the early days showing influence of the RCM Snipe and would later lead to the Questor and others.
Just a few word on this fun history lesson, the avatar was designed by milton swan, he is a better golf that willy was also
tchant is offline Find More Posts by tchant