HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Thermaler, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 04:17 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,134 Posts
We Got Stickied!

585 postings, 33,857 views in 139 days!
Thanks guys!

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2012, 04:27 PM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Apr 2003
1,611 Posts
A big thank you to you Joe, your thread will be valued for years to come.

Ray
Ray Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Ray Hayes
Old Jun 01, 2012, 05:08 PM
launch low, fly high
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Havelock North
Joined Dec 2004
1,856 Posts
I am using the JR DMSS radios (XG8 and as of this week, also the XG11) with the altimeter sensor. The altimeter sensor isn't much bigger than a servo connector. I suspect that the majority of the weight is in the ~6-8" of wire between the plug and the sensor...

(US source: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-dmss-JRP03432)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolly01 View Post
Joe,

Which set up are you using?

Rich
Joe W is offline Find More Posts by Joe W
Old Jun 01, 2012, 06:08 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe W View Post
I am using the JR DMSS radios (XG8 and as of this week, also the XG11) with the altimeter sensor. The altimeter sensor isn't much bigger than a servo connector. I suspect that the majority of the weight is in the ~6-8" of wire between the plug and the sensor...

(US source: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-dmss-JRP03432)
Joe,

Since the web site gives no info, could you give us a brief over veiw of how it works and what and how it reports the info?

Joe
Old Jun 01, 2012, 11:26 PM
May the Wind Always be Good
Webster, Minnesota
Joined Feb 2007
494 Posts
Over 244 Hits

That is over 244 hits a day WOW...And all is very good infor from the passed ...
Mr. Kite is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Kite
Old Jun 02, 2012, 01:54 AM
launch low, fly high
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Havelock North
Joined Dec 2004
1,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermaler View Post
Joe,

Since the web site gives no info, could you give us a brief over view of how it works and what and how it reports the info?

Joe
The altitude sensor provides an altitude reading on the transmitter. This altitude is referenced from the pressure altitude at the point that the receiver is turned on. In other words, when you turn on the receiver, you see 0.0 on the altitude readout on the tx. You can set the height units to be either meters or feet. The update rate is multiple times a second. Not sure what the update rate is, but you can see the altitude readout change rather quickly in the tenth of a meter value flickering sometimes.

You can also set alarms for up to three altitudes. I set these to beep when within 1 m of the target altitude. You can also set the altitude alarm to beep continuously when exceeding the target altitude ( or below the set altitude value).

The readout is on the display screen of the transmitter. You automatically get the rx voltage, in order to get the altitude, you need to plug in the altitude sensor into the data port. You also have to select "altitude" to be displayed on the telemetry readout.

I found a max altitude readout (accidentally) on the XG11, where it shows the maximum altitude achieved. Going to have to read the manual in order to get to this screen again... I found it accidentally before I put the left handed thrower protection on the scroller/selector.
Joe W is offline Find More Posts by Joe W
Old Jun 02, 2012, 07:26 AM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,294 Posts
Thanks Joe. Sounds like an elegant solution.
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old Jun 02, 2012, 10:51 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,134 Posts
Model Aviation June 1976 Dan Pruss

Time to start thinking of snow???? How about a Snow Fly?
Are we supporting our team??
Neat little hand chuck.
Soaring in Lumberton, N.C. ?

Joe
Old Jun 02, 2012, 10:57 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkallev View Post
A vario is too much input for most beginners. You need to be able to pilot the aircraft smoothly without inducing all kinds of errors into the vario ... and the total energy probe most use for XC and giant scale sailplanes likely won't make it into a TD model.

Get good solid skills flying at extreme range FIRST, then engage the vario for the additional data (if you need it).

By the time you are ready to play with a vario, you likely won't want it.
I used a Pic in my Aqula XL once, was having a blast watching it get smaller and smaller. Hearing the Pic tell me 1500', 2000' . . .
Just as it was telling me 2700' a calm voice behind me said "the idea is to get the plane back." Thanks for the good advice and use of the Pic Capt'n Jack.
I do know what 150" looks like at 2700' now, about like a DLG at 300'.

Joe
Old Jun 03, 2012, 10:51 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,134 Posts
Model Aviation July 1975

I included the write up on the Lake Charles Nats planning in the hopes that there will be a better understanding for the planning that goes into the show.
I hope everyone takes a moment to thank those that GIVE their time to make Glider Camp fun.

Dan Pruss covers the class wars of the day.

Joe
Old Jun 03, 2012, 09:02 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,485 Posts
Thermaler, it seems that you somehow accidentally deleted my post just before post #6. All it said was "The idea of classifying sailplanes according to square inches sounds interesting. I wonder why it was changed", and it had been there since last January, so I'm sure it was just an accident. Perhaps you can clarify what happened.

Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Last edited by Miami Mike; Jun 03, 2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old Jun 03, 2012, 10:08 PM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,335 Posts
I attended the 1974 meeting at Silver Springs Maryland meeting of the National Soaring Society where AMA rules for soaring were compiled from the many rules used by the various soaring clubs. This is what I wrote about the meeting.

About the only thing arousing much controversy was the definition of Standard class. Standard class was defined as having a 100-inch span with no other restrictions by the short lived National Radio Control Soaring Society (NRCSS) in 1970. This definition was picked up by the LSF and carried over to the SOAR Nats in 1972. In 1973, the ECSS decided that they wanted a low cost class for beginner and restricted standard class to rudder and elevator only. Nobody noticed that there were no two channel radios available at that time so every radio used for their standard class models had at least three channels. After much haggling, the NSS decided to support the LSF definition of Standard class since that was what was used in most of the country.

In 1974, the Radio Control Contest Board (RCCB) voted on all AMA contest rules for every RC event. Separate contest boards for RC Aerobatics, RC Pylon Racing, and RC Soaring were not established until about 10 years later. None of the Contest Board members were sailplane fliers so they depended on the Soaring Advisory Committee and later the NSS for advice on sailplane matters but didn’t always follow their recommendations.

A rules change proposal to split Standard Class into two groups with one being restricted to rudder and elevator only was submitted to the RCCB by some members of the old ECSS. The RCCB went against the NSS recommendation and accepted the proposal to split standard class. Ironically, the new class was defined as Standard Class while the original standard class became Modified Standard Class. Within a few years, Standard class was back to the original definition established by NSRCC in 1970.
ChuckA is offline Find More Posts by ChuckA
Old Jun 04, 2012, 02:04 AM
Joined May 2012
21 Posts
Hi Joe, I know a web store that you may interested:

http://www.r2hobbies.com/rc-aircraft...sailplane.html
Moony7 is offline Find More Posts by Moony7
Old Jun 04, 2012, 02:11 AM
Joined May 2012
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermaler View Post
Anybody have one of these? Later version had a glass fuselage. I wouldn't mind finding one of them.

Joe
Hi Joe, I know a web store there you may find the gilder that you interested:

http://www.r2hobbies.com/rc-aircraft...sailplane.html

Moony7 is offline Find More Posts by Moony7
Old Jun 04, 2012, 07:43 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,134 Posts
Model Aviation August 1975

Dan Pruss on the evolution of the winch.
What to expect at Lake Charles.
One I missed from July.

Joe