HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Thermaler, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 30, 2012, 06:52 PM
Valparaiso, IN
Joined Apr 2005
740 Posts
Yet another woody contest

Steve, you missed the Woodcrafters contest not too far from you near Grand Rapids, Michigan. It's low key and a lot of fun. And, it's coming up soon. See this post in Sailplane Events:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1652407
Jim Deck is offline Find More Posts by Jim Deck
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2012, 09:12 PM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,330 Posts
Define Woody. Is fiberglass fuselages legal? How about the Bubble Dancer with it's carbon fiber spars. I have not used a wood fuselage since 1974.
ChuckA is offline Find More Posts by ChuckA
Old May 30, 2012, 09:33 PM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Apr 2003
1,601 Posts
wood Crafters rules

Wood Crafters
Dedicated to those that build and fly wood R/C Sailplanes

Wood Crafters is dedicated to perpetuating the model builder, not the model buyer.

Woody Rules by Ray Hayes LSF 803

If you didn't build it, you can't fly it, with the following exceptions:

A one off you purchased that was built in the continental USA by a USA citizen.

Construction rule:

1. Wing and Stab are built up from wood.
2. No restriction on spar construction or materials.
3. No Molded D-Tube leading edge construction.
4. Fuselage can be wood, glassed wood or molded Fiberglass including the fin.
5. Carbon reinforcement can be used on any part of the structure.
Ray Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Ray Hayes
Old May 30, 2012, 10:29 PM
United States, FL, Shalimar
Joined Jan 2009
309 Posts
Ray,

I'm sure you have said it somewhere, but why did you stop having your contest?

Also, thanks for the positive inputs from Joe and yourself on the rules change proposal, it means a lot coming from a couple of guys that have been around the block once or twice.
On a side note, the P970 arrived the other day looks outstanding as always, will have a MO in the mail shortly for another order, Paragon wing is 75%, taken a little longer than I thought, went with some carbon lam on the spars.

Rich
jolly01 is offline Find More Posts by jolly01
Old May 31, 2012, 05:57 AM
Joined Apr 2003
1,601 Posts
Burn out got the best of me.

I appreciate your patience waiting for your orders to arrive, I know some guys don't understand why I don't have a supply of the kits (approx. 30 ) I offer on the shelf ready to be shipped.

Ray
Sky Bench ... Woodys Forever
http://www.skybench.com
Old May 31, 2012, 06:00 AM
Joined Apr 2003
1,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Deck View Post
Steve, you missed the Woodcrafters contest not too far from you near Grand Rapids, Michigan. It's low key and a lot of fun. And, it's coming up soon. See this post in Sailplane Events:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1652407
The Muncie club has a woody at the AMA field Sept 15 - 16, it's on the AMA field calender.

Ray
Sky Bench ... Woodys Forever
http://www.skybench.com
Old May 31, 2012, 07:55 AM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermaler View Post
Otto Heithcker's Challenger, some say the challenge is in the building. There are a lot of pieces but they produce a beautiful sailplane. A kit is avialible from Skybench. Yes, a shameless plug.
Dan Pruss covers the 1975 LSF Tournament.

Joe
It looks like thermal sniffers were pretty standard in competition in the mid 70s. Funny how trends come and go. They still seem like a good idea to me.
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old May 31, 2012, 12:31 PM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,330 Posts
I used a thermal sensor in 1975 though 1976 but found that I could do as well without it. The thermal senor helped a lot when flying overhead and at extreme visual rang but actually hurt in between where I could clearly see what the model was doing. If I was concentrating on listening to the thermal sensor, I missed the little visual clued like a wing dip. After 1976, I only used the thermal sensor for cross country events where it was essential.
ChuckA is offline Find More Posts by ChuckA
Old May 31, 2012, 01:00 PM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,277 Posts
I can see it at least helping during the learning process. Its just one more source of input for your brain. You may choose to disregard it and you may outgrow it. In my case, a whole minute could go by before I realize, "You know, my sailplane is getting smaller. I bet its rising."
Old May 31, 2012, 03:30 PM
launch low, fly high
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Havelock North
Joined Dec 2004
1,837 Posts
When I use a vario, I find that I end up turning off my visual sense for lift. The vario may be a good training tool for some, I find that it works best for this if I turn off the vario sound and just query for altitude occasionally to do a confirmation of what I am seeing. A vario does help to sort out very light air when there is a bit of wind, a condition where sometimes the eyes get deceived due to the varying angles due to the downwind drift.

I'd recommend using the vario as a tool to validate what you are seeing with your eyes rather than using it as the primary source of climb rate information. At present, I an using an altimeter in my plane to do the confirmation process, I occasionally glance down at my tx to see the altitude to see how well I have done to validate what my eyes are telling me.
Joe W is offline Find More Posts by Joe W
Old May 31, 2012, 04:11 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,125 Posts
A vario is too much input for most beginners. You need to be able to pilot the aircraft smoothly without inducing all kinds of errors into the vario ... and the total energy probe most use for XC and giant scale sailplanes likely won't make it into a TD model.

Get good solid skills flying at extreme range FIRST, then engage the vario for the additional data (if you need it).

By the time you are ready to play with a vario, you likely won't want it.
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old May 31, 2012, 04:17 PM
launch low, fly high
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Havelock North
Joined Dec 2004
1,837 Posts
What TK said...
Joe W is offline Find More Posts by Joe W
Old Jun 01, 2012, 06:41 AM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,277 Posts
Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe W View Post
.........At present, I an using an altimeter in my plane to do the confirmation process, I occasionally glance down at my tx to see the altitude to see how well I have done to validate what my eyes are telling me.
I like the altimeter idea.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 07:55 AM
United States, FL, Shalimar
Joined Jan 2009
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe W View Post
When I use a vario, I find that I end up turning off my visual sense for lift. The vario may be a good training tool for some, I find that it works best for this if I turn off the vario sound and just query for altitude occasionally to do a confirmation of what I am seeing. A vario does help to sort out very light air when there is a bit of wind, a condition where sometimes the eyes get deceived due to the varying angles due to the downwind drift.

I'd recommend using the vario as a tool to validate what you are seeing with your eyes rather than using it as the primary source of climb rate information. At present, I an using an altimeter in my plane to do the confirmation process, I occasionally glance down at my tx to see the altitude to see how well I have done to validate what my eyes are telling me.

Joe,

Which set up are you using?

Rich
jolly01 is offline Find More Posts by jolly01
Old Jun 01, 2012, 09:42 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,107 Posts
What You Should Know About Balsa Wood

Somebody felt I was in violation of a copyright.
I am sorry if I infringe on some ones property.
Please let me know if I have/do it and I will remove the post.
No need to get the moderators invovled.

Joe

"Hi Joe,
Posting articles published by AMA in Model Aviation magazine prior to 1990 is fine. We appreciate the acknowledgement and credit.
Dave

Dave Mathewson
Executive Director
Academy of Model Aeronautics
765.287.1256 x 201
765.286.3300 Fax
315.727.4275 Cell
davem@modelaircraft.org
www.modelaircraft.org "

Thank You Dave.
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Last edited by Thermaler; Jun 05, 2012 at 03:20 PM.