HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Thermaler, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 24, 2012, 05:53 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,066 Posts
Nationals 1976 - Dan Pruss

I wish I could have been there!

I would have seen a "limited edition Airtronis Kit"

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2012, 09:10 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,066 Posts
Model Aviation November 1976 More on the Nationals.

November 1976 More on the Nationals.
That subject to eligibility sailplane is pictured and mentioned again.

Joe
Old May 27, 2012, 07:14 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,066 Posts
Model Aviation October 1976

Dan Pruss does Soaring and Dave Andersen does the Mariha.
Joe
Old May 27, 2012, 07:38 AM
insidepainter
United States, PA, Monroe
Joined Apr 2012
7 Posts
Thanks! I attended that 1976 event. Good memories!
LNEFAN is offline Find More Posts by LNEFAN
Old May 28, 2012, 04:08 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,066 Posts
Model Aviation Nationals November 1977

Scott, is this the column you were looking for?
Again, an XL before 1-1-1980. Hmmmmm . . . . .

Joe
Old May 28, 2012, 12:32 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,066 Posts
Model Aviation October 1977

Neil Nolte's Level V stories, contest news, incidence meter and a winch drum.
Is Neil still out there?

Joe
Old May 28, 2012, 01:27 PM
Dragons, Windmills. All Same.
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
3,758 Posts
"Again, an XL before 1-1-1980. Hmmmmm . . . . . "

Ya, how about that. And stated "kit by Lee Renaud/Airtonics"

I would suggest a request for a "Variance" for the Aguila XL for NOS.
jcstalls is offline Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old May 28, 2012, 03:16 PM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,306 Posts
The nostalgia rules require that the model be PUBLISHED or KITTED before the cutoff date. A photo in a magazine is not enough. Else my 1974 Tern IV that I used to win a first place trophy in Standard class and 8th place overall would be Nostalgia legal. If a photo was all that is required, then there would be a lot more sailplanes legal for Nostalgia. A lot of models that were published in 1980 and 1981 were flying at least as prototypes before 1980.
ChuckA is online now Find More Posts by ChuckA
Old May 28, 2012, 03:29 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,771 Posts
Really a short sided set of rules in my estimation Chuck..... It bothers me that they took this approach instead of the more reasonable effort required by SAM. Lj
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Old May 28, 2012, 04:21 PM
Joined May 2002
3,758 Posts
With much respect Chuck, it's not just the picture but also the statement. Along with several others.

I understand and respect rules and specifically boundaries, yet, at times some flexibility can be applied.

I don't know exactly what Larry is referring to about SAM, as I have only flown one SAM contest with OT sailplanes at TAFT with Ross and Bill, but it looks like reasonable allowances.

I chose the word Variance for a reason. For example, we are remolding our or house, adding an addition and so on. There could be something technically illegal per codes with the city. A Variance can be filed for a variety of reasons and allowed. Grandfathering is what I had with my last city Variance request and it worked well.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jcstalls; May 28, 2012 at 04:29 PM. Reason: typo
Old May 28, 2012, 05:23 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,771 Posts
JC,
I worked as the production engineer in 80-81 at Airtronics. Lee preferred to develop his designs by sending them out to a group of modelers to test prototypes. When the design was frozen, we would send it our for publication so that we could dipense with the cost of inking a set of drawings. This also promoted the design, and a kit was a natural follow on. Unfortunately there were several great airplanes that didn't get to the point of release. Among them Buteo, Aquila XL, Super Esprit, Sagitta XC, my favorite the original Cumic. By SAM rules any of these designs except the Sagitta XC could be built because a photograph was published prior to the 81 Cut off. SAM also allows a design to be scaled. So some very worthy designs and one of's that are not worthy for inclusion on to the Nostalgia list could be included. It is interesting to me that my version of the Pantera is not allowed but the earlier version by Don Chancey is allowed. The idea was to exclude the Sagitta from Nostalgia, unfortunately many other interesting designs are also excluded. Changing the rules so that a photograph is enough to qualify a design would certainly allow for a richer event and allow some little known desings to be celebrated.
Old May 28, 2012, 06:20 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jolly View Post
Buteo
That's one I didn't know about. Does anyone have a set of plans they would be willing to share?

Quote:
Super Esprit
This is a shame because George Joy flew the one that hung in the lobby at Airtronics in the 93' Nostalgia contest at the NAT's.
I flew mine that year also, one heck of a sight, TWO Super Esprits in the sky at the same time.

Let's not forget the Olympic 120 either.

As I have been scanning for this thread I have seen and read about a lot of great designs that are more than likely lost forever. I hope a few of them find there way here. Hint, hint . . . . .

Joe
Old May 28, 2012, 06:59 PM
Joined May 2002
3,758 Posts
Thanks for the great info Larry.

I really like your closing sentence, as it carries quite a lot of potential power and then some.

"Changing the rules so that a photograph is enough to qualify a design would certainly allow for a richer event and allow some little known designs to be celebrated. "

Jared

Oh, George Joy. I remember when he joined, flew and contributed with HSS. I think I remember George building and fly one of your models Larry. Don't recall the name, but it was a class fuse with a full house built up fully sheeted wing. He did well it and went on to do even better.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jcstalls; May 28, 2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old May 28, 2012, 08:02 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,771 Posts
By the way, if anyone has a set of plans for the original Cumic, I would really like to get a copy of it. The description is as follows standard class 100", a similar fuse to Aquila with a V-tail. Wing was high aspect ratio straight TE tapered LE on tips. Airfoil from a Super Questor, with geodesic TE to cure flutter. Ace builder Jim Nikitoupolous from the PSA club built mine for Mike Fox founder of SC2 club league. I worked for Mike in 73 just out of High School and flew this model several times at SULA. LJ
Old May 28, 2012, 08:12 PM
United States, FL, Shalimar
Joined Jan 2009
303 Posts
Quote:
By the way, if anyone has a set of plans for the original Cumic, I would really like to get a copy of it. The description is as follows standard class 100", a similar fuse to Aquila with a V-tail. Wing was high aspect ratio straight TE tapered LE on tips. Airfoil from a Super Questor, with geodesic TE to cure flutter. Ace builder Jim Nikitoupolous from the PSA club built mine for Mike Fox founder of SC2 club league. I worked for Mike in 73 just out of High School and flew this model several times at SULA. LJ
LJ,

PM sent
jolly01 is offline Find More Posts by jolly01