HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Thermaler, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:15 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,060 Posts
Model Builder June 1977

I would like to take moment here to thank you all for your contributions, some have been true gems.

Good night all.

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:12 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libelle201B View Post
Re post #221, WOW, I built my Asro Flight ASW-17 in a small cabin me and my girlfriend were living in out in the desert when I was stationed at 29 Palms CA, back in 1976. It was my pride and joy. In 1978 I flew it for my first slope flight ever at Torrey Pines CA, I'll never forget that. Just curious, but does anyone here remember a foam SGS 1-26 manufactured I think by Texas Instruments back in about 1971 or so? It's span was about 6' and RE controlled and had a hollow aluminum spar in each wing. I don't think I'm loosing my mind because I owned one.
I have fond memories of the Canyon Plastics SGS 1-26 foamie 6 foot sailplane. I built one in the 1970s (Controlled by a Heath GD-19 radio system) and did a lot of slope soaring with it at the one or two flyable slope sites here in Fort Worth, TX. It was my second sailplane after a Airtronics Olympic 99.

I have not seen one since the 1980s.....they are REALLY rare these days, evidently.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Mar 19, 2012, 05:59 PM
S. FL
Joined Jan 2007
834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
I have fond memories of the Canyon Plastics SGS 1-26 foamie 6 foot sailplane. I built one in the 1970s (Controlled by a Heath GD-19 radio system) and did a lot of slope soaring with it at the one or two flyable slope sites here in Fort Worth, TX. It was my second sailplane after a Airtronics Olympic 99.

I have not seen one since the 1980s.....they are REALLY rare these days, evidently.
Thomas B, I also used a Heath Kit radio (3ch) in my 1-26. I think I started building it in about 1968 or 69, it took forever as I had never built a radio control system in my life. There is another r/c sailplane that I remember from my youth and it was the Kurwi (sp) I think it was a German kit and very sleek looking. After I saw a picture of one being launched at Sleeping Bear Dunes in Michigan (Popular Science or Popular Mechanics) I was forever hooked on r/c soaring.
Libelle201B is offline Find More Posts by Libelle201B
Old Mar 19, 2012, 06:50 PM
Old gasbag glider guy...
Tehachapi, CA
Joined Aug 2006
81 Posts
[QUOTE=There is another r/c sailplane that I remember from my youth and it was the Kurwi (sp) I think it was a German kit and very sleek looking. After I saw a picture of one being launched at Sleeping Bear Dunes in Michigan (Popular Science or Popular Mechanics) I was forever hooked on r/c soaring.[/QUOTE]

One of my OFB's back in high school - Terry Malsbury - flew a Kurwi; I think it was the 68. It replaced his Windfree, which is what the rest of us were wielding in local competitions. He did very well with it; it was an excellent performer.
Stan Hinman is offline Find More Posts by Stan Hinman
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:35 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,060 Posts
The Other Paragon

Sorry for getting your hopes up LV, this one is a hand chuck free flight.
I am sure most of us tossed more than one around as a kid. I know I had all the Jetco/Jasco hand chucks.

Joe
Old Mar 21, 2012, 04:53 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,060 Posts
Model Builder May 1983

Chuck it off a cliff!

Joe
Old Mar 21, 2012, 07:30 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,060 Posts
Model Builder May 1983 Part 2

I didn't have time to upload the rest this morning.

Enjoy guys.

Joe
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:09 PM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermaler View Post
I didn't have time to upload the rest this morning.

Enjoy guys.

Joe
Anothe issue from the golden years when there was a lot of good technical data and interesting reading material instead of just glossy color pictures. I still remember Bill Forey greeting me when I arrived at Visalia with the words "Don't send in payment for your next ad beause Model Builder just went bankrupt." The last thing I did before leaving for Visalia was send in a check for next month's ad.
ChuckA is offline Find More Posts by ChuckA
Last edited by ChuckA; Mar 22, 2012 at 07:14 AM.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:57 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,674 Posts
That was a very sad day. I didn't know for month's and was constantly looking for the latest issue.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:07 PM
Life-abstract=conformity
S.F. Bay Area
Joined Aug 2002
1,870 Posts
This is ranking as an all time great thread here.TY Thermeler.
I think everyone dropping in here will enjoy the 1930's gliding newsreel that 'Up & Away' located.
Check it out.
Skies.
AirBornOne is offline Find More Posts by AirBornOne
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:31 PM
Valparaiso, IN
Joined Apr 2005
735 Posts
A bit about the "Boomer"

Back when the Boomer was published, my stepfather bought the plans and built one. While it looked sort of cool, he could never get it to perform to expectations. I found the plans after my stepfather passed away and sent them to someone here on RCG when the Boomer came up in a thread a couple of years ago. With modern radio equipment, it might make a nifty NOS plane.
Jim Deck is offline Find More Posts by Jim Deck
Old Mar 22, 2012, 07:18 PM
Old gasbag glider guy...
Tehachapi, CA
Joined Aug 2006
81 Posts
1971 North South Meet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermaler View Post
Oh yah! I am going to build a Yankee Gull.

Le Gray did it best.

Joe
He sure did. He was a gentleman that kept us all in stitches, and even though I was just a punk kid, he never talked down to me. When I met him as a 12 year old, it meant a lot to me.

My Dad and I were at this meet; that's him in the picture with the other hardware collectors. It was the first R/C Soaring contest I ever flew in (one of the first for my Dad as well), and I remember getting a lot of ribbing from folks about my model; an Ace High glider with the obligatory "Stomper" pulse proportional single channel system. Didn't do all that well myself, but I sure was proud of my Dad!
Stan Hinman is offline Find More Posts by Stan Hinman
Last edited by Stan Hinman; Mar 22, 2012 at 07:20 PM. Reason: clarification
Old Mar 22, 2012, 07:33 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,674 Posts
Hi Jim Deck. So are you still in Tucson? Long time no hearum. Just aquired a set of plan's for my NIB Wristocrat, cool.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:56 PM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,305 Posts
Mention of the North-South contest bring back memores of a contest I never managed to attend. In the mid 70's I was flying the C130 in the National Guard and went to Van Nuys for three days of simulator training every year. I tried to schedule my simulatior training on Monday after the North-South meet so I could fly out on Friday at government expense to attend the contest. Unfortunately, the best I was able to do was either a week too early or a week too late. It wa 20 years before I manage to get to Visalia.
ChuckA is offline Find More Posts by ChuckA