HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Thermaler, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 06:24 PM
Play loud, Fly high
Vincennes,IN USA
Joined Apr 2007
652 Posts
Guesses

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlsf5 View Post
Is the guy at the left perhaps Wayne Wimbish?
JT
At first glance I thought that was Skip Miller, but zooming in for all I can on the scan, maybe Dennis Phelan? Of course the players will remember that it can't be the very first Golf outing. Recall the hula-hoops at the 91 event?
Gil Gauger is offline Find More Posts by Gil Gauger
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:48 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Aug 2005
94 Posts
1970s foamy 1-26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libelle201B View Post
Re post #221, WOW, I built my Asro Flight ASW-17 in a small cabin me and my girlfriend were living in out in the desert when I was stationed at 29 Palms CA, back in 1976. It was my pride and joy. In 1978 I flew it for my first slope flight ever at Torrey Pines CA, I'll never forget that. Just curious, but does anyone here remember a foam SGS 1-26 manufactured I think by Texas Instruments back in about 1971 or so? It's span was about 6' and RE controlled and had a hollow aluminum spar in each wing. I don't think I'm loosing my mind because I owned one.
Here is a photo of the Fogel family foamy 1-26 from about 1971. Dad (Larry) was the builder, that's me in the red shirt. A Kraft brick would fit just perfectly. Not known for performance, but the one-design foamy 1-26 pylon races at Torrey were loads of fun. We must have gone through a full bottle of Titebond glue...good times.

Gary
Thermalator is online now Find More Posts by Thermalator
Old Mar 16, 2012, 09:54 AM
S. FL
Joined Jan 2007
854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermalator View Post
Here is a photo of the Fogel family foamy 1-26 from about 1971. Dad (Larry) was the builder, that's me in the red shirt. A Kraft brick would fit just perfectly. Not known for performance, but the one-design foamy 1-26 pylon races at Torrey were loads of fun. We must have gone through a full bottle of Titebond glue...good times.

Gary
Thanks a million Thermalator, I knew I wasn't going crazy. Unfortunately my 1-26 only had a few hand launches with me at the controls. I let an "experienced" flier launch it for its first maiden flight on a winch, and the line got hooked in a tree and sent the plane into the ground. I was devastated. The never even apologised. I wonder if there are still any of the 1-26's around. I'd love to have one again.
Libelle201B is offline Find More Posts by Libelle201B
Old Mar 16, 2012, 07:27 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,135 Posts
American Aircraft Modeler November 1971

One of those guys that keeps showing up sharing some wisdom with the "Tenderfoot".

Anybody on the PMP Manufacturing Volant???

Nice addition Stan!

Wayne - Who did think to grow it up??

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Mar 16, 2012, 07:36 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,135 Posts
Important Links

Astro Jeff Thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1614615

Dan Pruss
https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/PrussDanielJ.pdf

Bob Steele
https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/SteeleRobertA.pdf

Bob Champine
http://champine.wordpress.com/

RCSD
http://rcsoaringdigest.com/

Back Issues
http://www.rcsoaringdigest.com/pdfs/

Joe
Last edited by Thermaler; Mar 17, 2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 01:03 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,135 Posts
Model Builder Auguast 1983

I have been up too late, GO IU!!!
Hoping the wind co-operates this day, I''ll be going flying at my patch o' grass behind work.

Enjoy Folks,
Joe
Old Mar 17, 2012, 01:54 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,766 Posts
I've flown both the Windsurfer Baby and the 2m. Before Sheldon hobbies closed they were 2m Windsurfer's for $12. We bought up all they had. Few people know that both the baby and the 2m hold/held world endurance record's. They were done in Hawaii. There was a feature article in MA. MB had the plan's for the Baby.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 17, 2012, 08:21 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,135 Posts
RCM October 1979

Morning boys.

Joe
Old Mar 17, 2012, 03:07 PM
United States, CA, Davis
Joined Oct 2006
243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Hinman View Post
For kicks and grins, here's another issue from August of '80 that has coverage by Bill Forrey of the F3B semi-finals, and a great technical article by Blaine Rawdon on Sailplane Spar Design.
Nice article by Blaine Rawdon! He writes that there is more coming (shear webs, etc.) in the next month. Does anyone have that article?

jpherit
jpherit is online now Find More Posts by jpherit
Old Mar 17, 2012, 05:02 PM
Old gasbag glider guy...
Tehachapi, CA
Joined Aug 2006
85 Posts
Sept '80 SFVSF newsletter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpherit View Post
Nice article by Blaine Rawdon! He writes that there is more coming (shear webs, etc.) in the next month. Does anyone have that article?

jpherit
Unfortunately, the two SFVSF newsletters I posted are the only ones I have. I'll ask some other members I know from that period to see if they might have Blaine's follow-up article...
Stan Hinman is offline Find More Posts by Stan Hinman
Old Mar 17, 2012, 06:04 PM
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Mar 2002
7,709 Posts
Someone said something about Bob Champine , this is some interesting stuff about Bob .............http://champine.wordpress.com/
Dennis Everett is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Everett
Last edited by Dennis Everett; Mar 18, 2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:06 PM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,336 Posts
I met Bob Champine at the 1983 Nats at Springfield Mass. Bob had just retired from NASA where he was a test pilot flying helicopters. I next met Bob at a sailplane contest at Oak Ridge Tennessee a few years later. Bob was visiting friends in the Knoxville area and scheduled his trip to coincide with the contest. It was there that I found out that he was one of the original NASA test pilots at Edwards and had flown the X1, D558-1 Skystreak, and D558-2 Skyrocket experimental high-speed research airplanes. He later transferred back to Langley where he became involved with helicopters and VTOL airplanes. He was a principle test pilot on the XC142 VTOL transport and made the last flight in that airplane when he delivered it to the Air Force Museum at Dayton Ohio.
Bob was not only an expert test pilot; he was the first modeler to achieve the LSF Level V twice. He was a great pilot, outstanding modeler, and a good friend.
ChuckA is offline Find More Posts by ChuckA
Old Mar 18, 2012, 12:03 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,135 Posts
Model Builder March 1980

Dave is at it again, the man knows a lot and shares it with us. Better be paying attention kids!

Dr. Fogel makes a prediction of the future and he was right.

Put your tounges back in boys, it is the Big Birdy you are supposed to be looking at so I have an ad to go with it. Still the cover shot will get the most views.

Pylon Racing anyone??

Joe
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:36 AM
Southwest Michigan
Joined Feb 2007
27 Posts
Hey Joe, I'm pretty sure that Albatross is the plane I most remember my grandpa flying when I was a little kid. I probably logged a few hours on it too! I think I remember him having a Phoebus too.
farginicehole is offline Find More Posts by farginicehole
Old Mar 18, 2012, 12:05 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,135 Posts
Model Builder September 1977

State of the art radio at the time used by World Champion Skip Miller.
How did we do without what we have today, fairly well in Skip's case!!

Had to be winter boredom that the Boomer cured.

Dr. Fogel has some pictures of an unknown to me Mark Smith design.
RPV's have been coming at us a lot longer than some think. This is 1977, the year after I graduated high school.

Joe