SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Thermaler, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 02:09 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
Hey Joe,

While looking at that last ad page I saw the Drifter II with an optional 2 meter wing. The Drifter II is a NOS legal design but is the 2M wing option eligible as well?

Wayne

Edit: I was able to answer my own question by digging out my Drifter II plan. In the writing on the top of the plan are instructions for stretching the wing out to 2 meters. I bet with modern radio gear you could get the flying weight down to under the 19oz listed weight. Balance might be tricky but could be fun to try.
Wayne,
I'll do a little digging to make sure the 2m wing was availible before 1-1-1980.

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2012, 02:16 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,481 Posts
Thanks Joe,

I can post some pictures of my original Drifter II plan with the printed date and text about the mod if that would help.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Mar 02, 2012, 02:26 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
Thanks Joe,

I can post some pictures of my original Drifter II plan with the printed date and text about the mod if that would help.

Wayne
That would save a lot of digging and supply the needed info for everyone,

Joe
Old Mar 02, 2012, 04:23 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,107 Posts
FM May 1993

Herk talks about airfoils and MOM.

Those slope fliers can get creative when the wind is not blowing in the right direction. I have read some other things that Dave has written about.

I have asked for a sticky for this thread, maybe a few more votes in the thread rating will help or a few others suggesting it. Click "report post", from the drop box find "Sticky" and we will see what happens.

Joe
Old Mar 02, 2012, 06:11 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,481 Posts
Ok Joe here is the best I can do. When I look at the set of plans I have I see what I interpret as a date next to the title box. The 9-78 I read as September, 1978. If this is wrong then we can stop right here. If I am correct then lets look at the directions printed on the top of the plans. The third picture shows the extra material needed to build the extended 2M wing and the next two pictures describes the option of building it.

So I place this before the NOS judges and ask for a ruling. Would a 2 meter winged Drifter II be NOS legal?

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Mar 02, 2012, 07:20 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,107 Posts
The Wierd One

Wayne - If you can't find anything in the instructions that say different than the date at the bottom you are good to go.

This one is for Captain Canardly, If you have built this one can you share anything about it?
The Wierd One by Dick Sarpolus and Arnie Pedersen. I know Dick is still around and built the Nebula (going to get that finished this winter ). What about Arnie. IIRC these two colaborate on a few other designs.
It must have been a long cold winter for them to come up with this one. The things we do to keep occupied this time of year!

Joe
Last edited by Thermaler; Mar 03, 2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old Mar 03, 2012, 09:59 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,107 Posts
Soaring Products Thermal Sniffler as seen at the 1975 WRAM Show.

Al Kindrick gives a review of the 1977 Nats at Riverside California.

What ever became of WINGS, Womans Inter-national Glider Soaring????

Joe
Old Mar 03, 2012, 11:17 AM
My Ex-wife Hates Airplanes
Canada, BC, Chilliwack
Joined Feb 2007
159 Posts
I just came across some soaring memorabilia I thought worth sharing. In the 70's there was a large glider club on Vancouver Island that had an annual soaring event. These were always well attended. Bob Dodgson was a regular and even Al Doig would venture all the way up from California. It was always great fun with a Saturday night BBQ.

Below are club buttons from the 1977 and 1978 events which clearly illustrate that this club didn't take themselves too seriously!

Cheers, Nigel
monocoupe110 is online now Find More Posts by monocoupe110
Last edited by monocoupe110; Mar 03, 2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old Mar 03, 2012, 11:31 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,107 Posts
For LV

I Pm'ed you and went looking and it's not here so....

Joe
Old Mar 03, 2012, 06:13 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,107 Posts
Midwest Lazy Bird

I know about the EZ Juan and the Lil T but the Midwest Lazy Bird???
I know very little about the Apex.

Who can shed more light on these?

Joe
Old Mar 04, 2012, 07:00 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
503 Posts
Decals wanted

Wanted:

Not sure if this is the right thread but here goes;

I'm building a replica of a beginner's 2 ch glider kit made in the mid-80's, called a Robbe 'Finikofi', a pod and boom type fuselage, 160 cm span (I scaled it up to 125%) and yes it was my first airplane model. Not a real beauty but you know, the nostalgic thing going on here....
It had a injection molded plastic fuselage (2 halves screwed together), aluminium tube tail boom attached with hose clamp, obechi veneer finished PU foam wings. And build up balsa tail.

I am after a scan from the 'FINIKOFI' part of the decal, the ROBBE is easy to reproduce but the finikofi lettering I only have a high perspective, low resolution image from the box.

If someone has a good photo or even a scan I would be a happy man.

Thanks in advance,
GJ

viper1 is offline Find More Posts by viper1
Old Mar 04, 2012, 07:05 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,107 Posts
RCM December 1982

Al Doig talks Linkage, winches and fuselage drag.

A page of Scale

The MRC Young Star was mentioned earlier, it's new to me. Anybody have experince they can share.

Joe
Old Mar 04, 2012, 08:56 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,738 Posts
I have a Young Star and have flown it. I can't help but wonder if it was the first ARF foam glider ever. It kind of look's like a portly Cirrus. It's still in one piece so I would say it flew well.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2012, 09:13 AM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,599 Posts
Thanks Thermaler! I read your PM, and immediately came to the thread.... I thought you were talking about the Drifter II ! LOL Looking forward to getting the little girl back in the air this spring.

Thanks for the old timey Paragon stuff. I love it!

When, oh when will Ray have the full kit available????

Edit.... just took a closer look at some of the pics in the Paragon article. 2nd page, top left and bottom pics don't look like Paragons at all. After skimming the text, apparently Ed had several variations before settling on the design we all know and love.

And I just have to say, that gal in the cover is smokin' hot.... enough to make a 17 year old save all his pennies for a Paragon..... Hmmmmm, that sounds very familiar.....
LVsoaring is online now Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Last edited by LVsoaring; Mar 04, 2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old Mar 04, 2012, 10:27 AM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,463 Posts
Just for Viper1
If you'd like it at a higher res then PM me your e-mail addy

Gordon
GeeW is online now Find More Posts by GeeW