HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Thermaler, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:07 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Aug 2005
87 Posts
Joe

If you are looking for some really ancient RC soaring history, here is a bio I wrote on Ross Hull for the AMA - Ross was (I think) the first to popularize RC soaring.

https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/Hull-Ross-A.pdf

I wrote an article about him for Sailplane and Electric Modeler a while back...

Gary
Thermalator is offline Find More Posts by Thermalator
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:16 PM
AMA 3959
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Oct 2002
1,455 Posts
Great thread Joe! My dad and I were flying slimers back in the 60's ,escapements, reed systems. we knew Ken Willard, We had won an Orbit 3+1, our first proportional system, and Ken was designing the Top Dawg. he wanted to make it single channel and multi channel, so my dad lent him the Orbit. there was an article in RCM about it. I used to have it, will have to see if I can find it again! Ken and my dad and me were members of the Pioneer R/C club here in the Bay Area!

Al
alstrahm is offline Find More Posts by alstrahm
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:48 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermalator View Post
Joe

If you are looking for some really ancient RC soaring history, here is a bio I wrote on Ross Hull for the AMA - Ross was (I think) the first to popularize RC soaring.

https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/Hull-Ross-A.pdf

I wrote an article about him for Sailplane and Electric Modeler a while back...

Gary
Thank You Gary, another one for the people page and all I'll have to do is copy and past this link!

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Feb 28, 2012, 07:29 AM
AMA 5285 LSF 8104
United States, OR, Hood River
Joined Aug 2008
340 Posts
Joe,

LOVE the website!!!! Great job so far. Can't wait to get moved and start digging thru all of my old stuff and see if I have anything you can use.

Scott
Aquila Guy is offline Find More Posts by Aquila Guy
Old Feb 28, 2012, 01:06 PM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermaler View Post
Carl Lorber knows a thing or two about sailplanes, I can think of several designs he has had published. Check this one out:

The Malco Eagle, never heard of it. What about one of you guys? What can you tells us about it?

Joe
I did a kit review article on the Malco Eagle for Model Airplane News back in 1975. It flew like a giant Oly and was designed by a free flight modeler. I don't remember a lot of details but it had a Clark Y type airfoil and designed like a late 40's free flight model with a large lifting tail with a very aft cg. I gave it to my 10 year old daughter who flew it until she decided that she liked horses better than model airplanes. I then loaned it to a friend who was interesting in switching to sailplanes. I finally sold it to a guy from California who was in town for a test. Everybody who flew it really liked the way it flew AFTER I moved the CG forward to a more normal 30% MAC. The lifting tail make it tricky to fly at high speed with the CG aft of 50%.
ChuckA is offline Find More Posts by ChuckA
Old Feb 29, 2012, 04:45 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,066 Posts
Contork Winch

For those that can't tap, a variable speed winch.

Joe
Old Feb 29, 2012, 05:55 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,066 Posts
RCM July 1973

A lot of great stuff in this issue but finally the end of it.
Next up????

Joe
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:09 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,092 Posts
Wish I still had a Soarcraft Kestrel 19 and Libelle kit

Two of my all-time faves
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:31 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Mar 2006
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermaler View Post
For those that can't tap, a variable speed winch.

Joe
I built one of those. It actually worked quite well for two meter floaters. I still have it but it needs a bit of a rebuild since water got to the wood parts.
Windrider53 is offline Find More Posts by Windrider53
Old Mar 01, 2012, 12:48 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,680 Posts
The Kerwi was the gloder that Dale Willoughby flew off "A" mountain once.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2012, 04:37 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,066 Posts
Paragon and Gull Fans

Got one for those Paragon fans, Bird fans and Scale fans.

I wish I hadn't let the Soarcraft kits (yes, all of them, 2 Magnum 12's) and Dart II kit

Joe
Last edited by Thermaler; Mar 01, 2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 06:55 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,066 Posts
RCM January 1982

Dwight Holly and his Gobbler. I had a kit and kick myself for selling it, one of the dumber things I have done in my life.

Al Doig talks about F3B and has some info about a couple of great looking sailplanes.
He makes no mention of Otto Heithecker's flying wing that he flew in the 1981 Great Race. Can anybody shed some light on this plane?
Like the name, span and if a plan was/is availible???

The Craft Air ad just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy with all those wood sailplanes. I have flown a Golden Eagle (it is need of repair after a radio problem), built about 10 Viking MkI's and a MkII. I have a Leo kit which is the forerunner of the Sailaire. The kit actually has a piece of wood that looks like a 2 x 4!!! The lattice elevator looks a bit intimidating but I will build it on day.

Joe
Old Mar 01, 2012, 07:32 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,092 Posts
Otto's wing was around 12 feet if memory serves. I don't remember a lot, don't think there were plans available.

Don't hold me to this, but I thought it blew up, flutter or overspeeding, but I don't remember if it happened at the Great Race or at his home field in Michigan.
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Mar 01, 2012, 08:55 PM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Montrose, NY
Joined May 2003
1,349 Posts
Interesting thing about Dwight Holly's Gobbler..... I was all set to buy one myself. I wanted the foam sheeted wing. However when they finally went to production I was told the kit was changed because they were not able to find consistent foam. So they re-engineered the kit with a built up wing.

I received a call from M.E.N. to say the kit was available and when was just about to place the order that is when I was informed of the foam wing issue. It was at that point I canceled my order. I was very upset. Oh well...

FYI, I got to see Dwight fly in the LISF event in Syosset, NY back in the early 80's. I didn't fly in the event, just acted as a spectator. It was then I witnessed a zoom launch. I was totally amazed to see it. Dwight was certainly a head of his time.

Kurt
kzimmerm is offline Find More Posts by kzimmerm
Old Mar 01, 2012, 10:59 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,398 Posts
Hey Joe,

While looking at that last ad page I saw the Drifter II with an optional 2 meter wing. The Drifter II is a NOS legal design but is the 2M wing option eligible as well?

Wayne

Edit: I was able to answer my own question by digging out my Drifter II plan. In the writing on the top of the plan are instructions for stretching the wing out to 2 meters. I bet with modern radio gear you could get the flying weight down to under the 19oz listed weight. Balance might be tricky but could be fun to try.
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Last edited by Windependence; Mar 01, 2012 at 11:33 PM.