HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Thermaler, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 07:20 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,773 Posts
Oooooh the Wasp 21 have the plan's have the rib template's now I hope I have the time to eventually build it. A while back some one wrote an article in Sailplane and Electric Modeler about the designer of the Wasp pushing over into a dive from high altitude. It's nick name was White Death. It's amazing that it was designed as a R/E model. I even have the issue of RCM with it on the cover.
prodjx is online now Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:40 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,135 Posts
Model Builder May 1978

A bit about Torrey Pines and crash repair.

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Feb 18, 2012, 03:08 AM
launch low, fly high
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Havelock North
Joined Dec 2004
1,856 Posts
The Wasp 21... I strongly remember reading about this plane when I was just starting out in RC soaring. The concept and the plane was sooo cool! I really liked the analytical aspect of the planes development. A seed planted for my eventual career path, thanks for bringing back the memory!
Joe W is offline Find More Posts by Joe W
Old Feb 18, 2012, 07:07 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,135 Posts
And the kids today say we can't remember.
Glad I am stirring memories, glad others are bringing them back for me.
Really glad to learn about new to me magazines!

Joe

"I'm pulling for you 'cause we're all in this together" - Red Green
Old Feb 18, 2012, 07:08 AM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermaler View Post
A bit about Torrey Pines and crash repair.

Joe
Articles like that made Torrey Pines attain Mecca-like status in my mind. I didn't actually get there until 2002.
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old Feb 18, 2012, 07:17 AM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Montrose, NY
Joined May 2003
1,374 Posts
Quote:
My slope experince has been tree line, after reading this article I do believe I need to get to a real slope!

Joe

So here is a little tidbit of info. Seeing the 1978 ad for the WRAM Show is what inspired this. I was in College and remember traveling 6 hours home for the weekend just to go to the show. Now what is also interesting is the contact person at that time is a very good friend of mine, bit didn't get to befriend him until years later.
This is where things go to "you can't make this stuff up". I found out just a few weeks age my friend (Larry) grew up in Peekskill, NY and had lived in Buchanan, NY. It gets even more interesting..... Today I live less than 1 mile from where Larry used to live. As I said you can't make this stuff up.
kzimmerm is offline Find More Posts by kzimmerm
Old Feb 18, 2012, 07:27 AM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,299 Posts
Quote:
. . . . . . . Oh, and that what looks to be a 2x Paragon at 25 lbs again. Would like to know more about this . . . . . . . .
So would I. I like the fact that, even at double size, the builder didn't bother installing spoilers on it.
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old Feb 18, 2012, 08:11 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisquire View Post
So would I. I like the fact that, even at double size, the builder didn't bother installing spoilers on it.
Might have had something to do with that slime maker on the front!

Joe
Old Feb 18, 2012, 08:19 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,135 Posts
A different Merlin

Not as big as Ken's but . . . . . .

Some say the Wanderer 99 was a do but mine flies pretty good. I was pretty high in the RES standings in 2009 with it until I bent the tiny wing rod in the last round. Talk about too much dihedral, touch the rudder and over it went!
It now has a 3/8" joiner in it and heavy tapping and a decent zoom are no problem.

Joe
Old Feb 18, 2012, 11:45 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,135 Posts
More Ads and a Cover

Joe
Old Feb 18, 2012, 12:24 PM
AMA 5285 LSF 8104
United States, OR, Hood River
Joined Aug 2008
342 Posts
and a cover...

(doing my Groucho Marx impersonation) What a gorgeous model... and the sailplane is beautiful too!!

Seriously, the Soarcraft line was always on my want list. I have a NIB Magnum 12 but would love to have the Kestral and the Libelle (two of my all time favorite classic glass slippers!).

And the Wasp 21 brought back memories as well.

Thanks Joe for starting this wonderfull trip down memory lane. Everyone keep them coming! When I get moved and unpacked, I have a bunch of old magazines I'll look thru.

Scot
Aquila Guy is offline Find More Posts by Aquila Guy
Old Feb 18, 2012, 01:29 PM
Dragons, Windmills. All Same.
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
4,153 Posts
A original NIB Soarcraft Magnum 12 kit in mint condition is really something to behold. I have never seen a RC sailplane kit like one.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...raft+magnum+12
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2012, 01:44 PM
AMA 5285 LSF 8104
United States, OR, Hood River
Joined Aug 2008
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcstalls View Post
A original NIB Soarcraft Magnum 12 kit in mint condition is really something to behold. I have never seen a RC sailplane kit like one.
Agreed! Part of me wants to build it, another wants to just look and savor how a quality kit from long ago was put together.

Scott
Aquila Guy is offline Find More Posts by Aquila Guy
Old Feb 18, 2012, 03:57 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,134 Posts
Joe,

Have you run across the articles of Dick Sarpolus' King Kong gliders? I think they may have been in Flying Models, late 60's or early 70's. These were 12 or maybe 14 footers, foam wings, glass fuses ... should have been XC machines if anyone had thought of XC then.

There were articles about cutting wing cores, making fuse molds ... great stuff. I wish I had kept all those mags, and the American Aircraft Modeler magazines, too. Not soaring related, but there was an F4 Phantom, RC with a Dynajet pulse jet motor ... yeeee haaaaaaa!
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Feb 18, 2012, 06:39 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkallev View Post
Joe,

Have you run across the articles of Dick Sarpolus' King Kong gliders? I think they may have been in Flying Models, late 60's or early 70's. These were 12 or maybe 14 footers, foam wings, glass fuses ... should have been XC machines if anyone had thought of XC then.

There were articles about cutting wing cores, making fuse molds ... great stuff. I wish I had kept all those mags, and the American Aircraft Modeler magazines, too. Not soaring related, but there was an F4 Phantom, RC with a Dynajet pulse jet motor ... yeeee haaaaaaa!
TK,
Not yet. I did find his Canard though, on it's way. Like you, I wish i had kept the ton of FM, MAN, MA, MB and RCM that I had. I could collect a tidy little sum.

A search of what is availible on feebay turned up some crazy people thinking that other crazy people (me ) are crazy enough to pay $12 + $5 for shipping for a $0.35 magazine. When they put it in a 20 cent envelope and a buck and a half for postage? Flat rate boxes for the lot offers that want $10 for shipping. There is even someone want $25 an issue!!

$4 an issue, multiple issues with a shipping discount get my money.

MAYBE someone that has been stopping by here has them or remembers what issue.

Joe