SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 14, 2012, 06:26 PM
DONT PANIC! :)
United States, FL, Lehigh Acres
Joined Jan 2012
1,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausf View Post
Please, in all seriousness, if you decide to go that route, do it in a large area away from people, etc.

Any damage you inflict will directly affect other flyers in your area.

I don't mean that as a slam or to discourage you. I assume you're an adult and will do what you have in mind, just try not to hurt someone else. Things go south quick in the air if you're not ready.
very true indeed. i made sure where i maidened that there was nobody around. just open plains.

im not trying to encourage anyone to follow these steps, i just want to know how many other hard headed guys like myself are out there lol cheers!

kids dont try this at home! there are rtf rc planes under $75 to get your feet wet lol
out of stock is offline Find More Posts by out of stock
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2012, 08:48 PM
USA, TX, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2004
1,365 Posts
O.O.S., I did it and will go on record to say that I don't recommend it. Back in the 1970's, we didn't have the electrics or light weight foamie trainer options. I was trained via the "pass the transmitter" method and my first solo was on a low wing, .60 nitro-powered Lanier Jester. It had a 60 in. wingspan and was fast and fully aerobatic.

My first attempt at a landing resulted in a cartwheel. After repairs, my next try was successful. I later became an instructor but had better recommendations for my students, including the use of a buddy box! The larger trainers are usually more stable and predictable. Sig Kadets were a predominant choice in those days, along with the Goldberg Senior Falcon and Jensen Ugly Stik.

These days, there is a whole truckload of choices for a decent trainer.........it should be a top wing bird, with around a 500 - 600 sq. In. wing area. In general, a wing with a thicker chord and smooth-rounded leading edge will also be able to fly stable at slower airspeeds. If you are looking for full throttle aerobatics(later), look for a thinner chord with a relatively sharp leading edge. Balanced correctly, these birds will usually snap roll on a dime. It sounds like you are also past this point but thought I would throw it out there, anyway.....

Larry

Larry
txflyboys2 is online now Find More Posts by txflyboys2
Last edited by txflyboys2; Jan 14, 2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 09:41 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,579 Posts
I went from a sim to a 45mph MiniSpeedWing with no problems.
My computer nut neighbor went from 30 minutes on my sim to my Stryker-lite with no problems.
But it took my cousin 20 flights after several trys on the sim to finally get it.

Everybodys got a different learning curve. Butch
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:15 PM
DONT PANIC! :)
United States, FL, Lehigh Acres
Joined Jan 2012
1,902 Posts
I think your best bet is over 5 hours of sim time and a stable parkzone spitfire on low rates. Or a similar average sized foam plane.
out of stock is offline Find More Posts by out of stock