HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:09 PM
DONT PANIC! :)
United States, FL, Lehigh Acres
Joined Jan 2012
1,830 Posts
Discussion
from sim to intermediate, have any of you walked this path?

is there anyone who has jumped from simulator to the big boys?
out of stock is offline Find More Posts by out of stock
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:16 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,371 Posts
What would be considered "the big boys"?
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:56 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
2,989 Posts
It can't be done.
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:59 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP16 View Post
What would be considered "the big boys"?
anything over 50" wing span! sorry for not being very informative! or edf.

like totally skipping the cesna or piper cub foamies.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 11:05 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrb4 View Post
It can't be done.
i did it. it can be done! i went from realflight g3.5 to het f15 twin edf. (belly lander) over 10 successful flights till one motor just gave out and yet i still brought her down with minimal damage. sold the fuselage then got a helicopter which lasted a week till i recked it lol. then a parkzone spitfire then now, sbach 342 60"!

im pretty sure someone else has done it as well. hard headed is another name for pilots like us.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 11:12 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
Joined Nov 2011
2,989 Posts
I got interested in RC sim flying 1.5 yrs before my first plane.
I bought GP4.5 and later upgraded to 5.5 with combat.
I flew & flew & flew.
First plane 47" SuperCub, 20 flights in 2 weeks (no crash)
2nd Plane 1100mm P-47, 40 flights with no crash.
3rd plane F4F. Crash maiden by mechanical failure, my fault. 2 successful flights after repairs.

The sim has does teach the most important thing about RC flight which is that the R/L controls reverse when the plane is coming towards you. But it is no substitute for the hands on flying experience you get at the field.
The sim perspective is off, making it harder to fly from a fixed due to a lack of realistic field of vision.

Sim flight has no consequences which leads to casual risks you will never take flying at the field.

My experience is while it has helped me get a clean start and advance quickly, there is no substitute for the real flying experience you will need to fly with the dig dogs.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 11:23 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,830 Posts
Quote:
I got interested in RC sim flying 1.5 yrs before my first plane.
I bought GP4.5 and later upgraded to 5.5 with combat.
I flew & flew & flew.
First plane 47" SuperCub, 20 flights in 2 weeks (no crash)
2nd Plane 1100mm P-47, 40 flights with no crash.
3rd plane F4F. Crash maiden by mechanical failure, my fault. 2 successful flights after repairs.

The sim has does teach the most important thing about RC flight which is that the R/L controls reverse when the plane is coming towards you. But it is no substitute for the hands on flying experience you get at the field.
The sim perspective is off, making it harder to fly from a fixed due to a lack of realistic field of vision.

Sim flight has no consequences which leads to casual risks you will never take flying at the field.

My experience is while it has helped me get a clean start and advance quickly, there is no substitute for the real flying experience you will need to fly with the dig dogs.
indeed.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 11:40 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Oct 2011
111 Posts
Why skip it? Learn to fly on a $100 plane so you have less chance of messing up a $700 plane.
rcninja is offline Find More Posts by rcninja
Old Jan 14, 2012, 02:19 AM
Joined Mar 2009
368 Posts
Flying a large plane is easier then flying a small one; there's the extra cost of crashing to consider, along with the extra danger to innocent bystanders.

Myself, i went from sim to a 36" 4 channel biplane, skipping the micro and/or 3ch high wing trainer step. It went well, but i wouldnt recommend someone make an even bigger leap.
djacobox372 is offline Find More Posts by djacobox372
Old Jan 14, 2012, 06:06 AM
If it flies.....I can crash it
United Kingdom, England, Preston on Stour
Joined Nov 2011
2,103 Posts
I have am going from a sim to a micro Su-26 to a extra 300.....I'll let you know how it goes in a day or two.
blackbrabus is online now Find More Posts by blackbrabus
Old Jan 14, 2012, 08:34 AM
United States, NY, CENTRAL VLY
Joined May 2011
1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of stock View Post
anything over 50" wing span! sorry for not being very informative! or edf.

like totally skipping the cesna or piper cub foamies.
Please, in all seriousness, if you decide to go that route, do it in a large area away from people, etc.

Any damage you inflict will directly affect other flyers in your area.

I don't mean that as a slam or to discourage you. I assume you're an adult and will do what you have in mind, just try not to hurt someone else. Things go south quick in the air if you're not ready.
ausf is offline Find More Posts by ausf
Old Jan 14, 2012, 08:42 AM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
Joined Nov 2011
2,989 Posts
Quote:
It can't be done.
What I meant was there is no substitute for real rc flying... So you will still be a green beginner rc pilot when you first take to the air. But you will be one with better classroom training, IMHO.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 04:28 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
1,486 Posts
There are some things that a sim wont teach you. Even the RTF airplanes will require minimal set up and maintenance. There is quite a bit of trouble shooting to do when something stops working as well. A sim will get you pretty close to jumping into flying an intermediate plane, but there is a tad bit more to this hobby than flying (even if some people pay lots of money to avoid it).

Back in the day, people would start into this hobby with a .40 size trainer. Its not unusual for these trainers to have 65+ in wing spans and even budget .46 size motors will pull these planes faster than most foamys fly. For the most part they are pretty aerobatic as well (of course I tend to do low inverted passes with J3 Cubs as well).

Something like this would not be out of question for someone with a ton of sim stick time. I doubt you would get bored of it any time soon. These larger/faster planes are not considered park flyers. Well, by the AMAs definition anyways. They can do quite a bit of damage to themselves, and more importantly, to people and property.
Eclipse_7 is offline Find More Posts by Eclipse_7
Old Jan 14, 2012, 04:51 PM
REAL old new guy!
United States, HI
Joined Jul 2011
491 Posts
I spent 3 weeks on a Phoenix simulator and then flew a Hawk Sky. No crashes on my first flight but plenty since!
Simulator DEFINITELY helped and still does. It's basically automatic turning now when the plane is coming towards me. Indoor heli helped also!
If you have to think which way to turn you will crash a lot.
Dakine48 is offline Find More Posts by Dakine48
Old Jan 14, 2012, 05:22 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Oct 2011
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacobox372 View Post
Flying a large plane is easier then flying a small one; there's the extra cost of crashing to consider, along with the extra danger to innocent bystanders.

Myself, i went from sim to a 36" 4 channel biplane, skipping the micro and/or 3ch high wing trainer step. It went well, but i wouldnt recommend someone make an even bigger leap.
Which biplane? Looking for one that size.
rcninja is offline Find More Posts by rcninja