HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 16, 2012, 09:08 PM
Yosef Sailor
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jul 2011
513 Posts
Little set back tonight. While working on little mans pinewood derby car, my seawind fell off the stand and landed on the concrete. Chipped the paint on the bow and stern and rails. I sanded it down, re-primed and sprayed as much white as I had left in the can. Instead of putting on my color tomorrow, I will be spraying more base white.

When will I get this done?

DW
dwatson is offline Find More Posts by dwatson
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2012, 01:08 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwatson View Post
Little set back tonight. While working on little mans pinewood derby car, my seawind fell off the stand and landed on the concrete. Chipped the paint on the bow and stern and rails. I sanded it down, re-primed and sprayed as much white as I had left in the can. Instead of putting on my color tomorrow, I will be spraying more base white.

When will I get this done?

DW
Ugh! That is a shame! Just glad there was no structural damages! Don't ya just hate when things like that happen!

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Mar 17, 2012, 08:18 PM
Yosef Sailor
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jul 2011
513 Posts
Well.......

After I sanded, primed and repainted the boat, I got in a hurry and apparently did not let the white base fully dry before applying my vinyl logos and the 1st color down red. When I went back to apply a second coat of red, parts of hull looked mottled while other had a bright gloss to them. Not sure if it is a cure issue or capatibiltiy issue.

I used Duplo-color Acrylic Enamel sandable primer followed by Duplo-color Acrylic white as a base coat. Wet sanded, everything looked ok. Used alcohol to wipe down hull followed by tack cloth.

Next applied the Red, Duplo-Color auto match. I looked at the label and I hope it is Acrylic Enamel also. If not, that may explain the result.

Either way, I am traveling for a entire week starting tomorrow and I will order a new set of vinyls and upon return, sand down to bare hull and most likely try some Krylon this time.

I just down understand. It was looking so good also.

DW
Old Mar 27, 2012, 03:03 PM
Joined Aug 2009
48 Posts
sorry to hear about your luck. i think i stripped mine at least 2-3 times before it finally got its last color coat on it....3 races in, and it got more than a few chunks taken out of it.....now, the top of the hull has this nice, faded patina of what used to be flourescent orange. Just like a kayak or a regular boat, the first scratch is the hardest....after that, the stories that cause the scratches get alot more fun.
stevezero is offline Find More Posts by stevezero
Old May 06, 2012, 07:39 PM
Yosef Sailor
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jul 2011
513 Posts
After much to do with my paint, I finally got the milkiness polished out of both the color and the clear.

According to Dupli Color, the milkiness is a result of the lacquer not fully flashing off. Over time, it dried to a haze that I was able to polish out and make glossy.

I installed the accessories and servos, trays, rudder steering wheels. I sails insalled on the mast and booms, I need to rig my lines and sails and finish the ballast off and paint it.

It is finally starting to look like a boat instead of project.

Will post photos later.

DW
Old May 13, 2012, 03:51 PM
Yosef Sailor
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jul 2011
513 Posts
Final Paint Job

After many issues with paints, this is the final outcome.

I used white and clear Testers decal paper and printed the logos on it and cut them out with an xacto and applied them the hull.

I cleared the hull after application and used scratch remover and buffed to a shine using my drill and a buffing pad.

I sprayed the steering wheels and other accessories in a stainless and cleared them.

I am finishing up fairing my keel and bulb then will shoot it white and coat it.

DW
Old May 14, 2012, 12:35 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,298 Posts
Looks great.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old May 15, 2012, 08:17 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,497 Posts
I agree. DW you have to be happy with the outcome. All that work has finally paid off!
Glad you hung in there! Looking forward to some fully assembled pictures and on the water shots.

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1