HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:21 PM
United States, NC, Chapel Hill
Joined Sep 2009
178 Posts
My elevator looks funny.

I am new to EDF, so before I get on the phone with Tower I thought about asking the experts first. I just received the GP F-86 micro edf today. Everything checks fine, except I noticed that the split elevators do not move the same amount.
At maximum deflection (up or down), the right side elevator moves about 1/8', the left side about 1/4' . The manual gives 1/4' for the elevator throw. I have not flown it yet, and do not want to fly it if this is not ok. My feeling is that someone goofed up hooking up the control surfaces to the servo, but I wonder
if this differential displacement is in fact needed to counteract engine torque or whatever. As I said, I am new to EDF.
Thanks
Alberto
ululi1970 is online now Find More Posts by ululi1970
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some issues with the Sig Wonder
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:31 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ululi1970 View Post
I am new to EDF, so before I get on the phone with Tower I thought about asking the experts first. I just received the GP F-86 micro edf today. Everything checks fine, except I noticed that the split elevators do not move the same amount.
At maximum deflection (up or down), the right side elevator moves about 1/8', the left side about 1/4' . The manual gives 1/4' for the elevator throw. I have not flown it yet, and do not want to fly it if this is not ok. My feeling is that someone goofed up hooking up the control surfaces to the servo, but I wonder
if this differential displacement is in fact needed to counteract engine torque or whatever. As I said, I am new to EDF.
Thanks
Alberto
Is it right NO but is it NORMAL I think so. I'm sure they are all like this both mine are, because of the way the left and right sides are driven by the servo the right one has a U connector to the servo arm and it flexes to much..

Note,, make sure you have the CG balance set right,, NOT to where it says in the GP manual.. If you got the 250 battery with it just make sure that one you Velcro it down and two it's all the way forward as you can get it... EDF's don't have any prop blast to save your ass,, so you need to keep the speed up at all times..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:35 PM
United States, NC, Chapel Hill
Joined Sep 2009
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Is it right NO but is it NORMAL I think so. I'm sure they are all like this both mine are, because of the way the left and right sides are driven by the servo the right one has a U connector to the servo arm and it flexes to much..
So am I ok to try it?
Alberto
ululi1970 is online now Find More Posts by ululi1970
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some issues with the Sig Wonder
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:37 PM
mjp
New Jersey
Joined Jan 2001
143 Posts
Yep the batteries are charged
I will try dropping the trim all the way down
mjp is offline Find More Posts by mjp
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:40 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ululi1970 View Post
So am I ok to try it?
Alberto

Yes I think so.. If you can set up full travel on the elevator, and about 50% EXPO for your first flight.. You might find that it will want to go up,, if it does force the nose down with full down elevator if needed. If you can't force the nose down get ready for a flip flop as the airspeed drops off as it's going vertical. Try to get it back on the ground in one piece and stick a Dime on the battery.. Or better yet do that first.. And then you can later try it with out the Dime..
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:27 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,149 Posts
Alberto, your pushrod is flexing (inside the model) under the load of the right elevator. It(elevator hinge) may be a little stiff so while holding the elevator full up, flex the elevator a little more up and do the same thing while the elevator is down. Repeat this a few times to loosen up the hinge.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:45 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Alberto, your pushrod is flexing (inside the model) under the load of the right elevator. It(elevator hinge) may be a little stiff so while holding the elevator full up, flex the elevator a little more up and do the same thing while the elevator is down. Repeat this a few times to loosen up the hinge.
But be sure to disconnect the elevator pushrods before flexing the elevator...Just an FYI...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is online now Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:48 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
But be sure to disconnect the elevator pushrods before flexing the elevator...Just an FYI...

Kevin
Heck if your going that far move the right one up a hole..
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:21 PM
"Add Lightness"..Colin Chapman
Keystone State, USA
Joined Jun 2007
1,126 Posts
Livonia Bob,

YOu keep mentioning to NOT use the CG recommended in the manual, which I believe is 70mm from the leading edge....

Could you tell us, or me, what CG should be used then????

Ululi1970,
My elevator acts the same as you described for yours. It has not been noticeable in flight. The main problem with my elevator is
that it is is slightly off center. I need about 2 or 3 clicks of up elevator trim to get it to fly without it diving slightly. I would like to adjust it mechanically but looks as if it would be kind of difficult. I think I can live with 2 clicks of elevator trim.
Elisecat is offline Find More Posts by Elisecat
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:26 PM
Joined Mar 2007
3,910 Posts
Quote:
Heck if your going that far move the right one up a hole..
C'mon Bob---Seriously?!?!???...This is not the way to solve this problem...Just another way to make an airplane fly skewed in a loop or applying any up/down elevator as a matter of fact...I can't believe that you actually recommended this...You can't be serious---If you are then I FULLY understand why you've had as many problems with this plane...Again---SERIOUSLY?????

Kevin
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:46 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
C'mon Bob---Seriously?!?!???...This is not the way to solve this problem...Just another way to make an airplane fly skewed in a loop or applying any up/down elevator as a matter of fact...I can't believe that you actually recommended this...You can't be serious---If you are then I FULLY understand why you've had as many problems with this plane...Again---SERIOUSLY?????

Kevin
As no mater how loose you make the right side hinges the flex in the "U" will not give full travel under air loads which is what counts.. So one way to make them even in flight is to have the right one set to travel more to allow for the flex at the "U"..
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:50 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisecat View Post
Livonia Bob,

YOu keep mentioning to NOT use the CG recommended in the manual, which I believe is 70mm from the leading edge....

Could you tell us, or me, what CG should be used then????

Ululi1970,
My elevator acts the same as you described for yours. It has not been noticeable in flight. The main problem with my elevator is
that it is is slightly off center. I need about 2 or 3 clicks of up elevator trim to get it to fly without it diving slightly. I would like to adjust it mechanically but looks as if it would be kind of difficult. I think I can live with 2 clicks of elevator trim.
You can read the corrected manual here.. It's still 70mm but they tell you to measure it from the top looking down at where the leading edge meets the fuse,, we want you to turn the plane over and go 70mm from where the LE on the bottom meets the fuse..

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1594808
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:02 PM
Joined Mar 2007
3,910 Posts
Quote:
As no mater how loose you make the right side hinges the flex in the "U" will not give full travel under air loads which is what counts.. So one way to make them even in flight is to have the right one set to travel more to allow for the flex at the "U"..
Ohh Jeeez!!!...."Sound of palm of hand slapping my forehead---HARD!!!".........Just flex the hinges and both sides of the elevators will travel equally....Introducing other control throw issues isn't going to help at all....

Kevin
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:13 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,835 Posts
I just added a second servo to my F-86 build. Eliminated the problem. I have a stock one also. The parts built one is better I think with the 2nd servo.
Bob
bruff is online now Find More Posts by bruff
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:05 AM
"Add Lightness"..Colin Chapman
Keystone State, USA
Joined Jun 2007
1,126 Posts
Quote:
You can read the corrected manual here.. It's still 70mm but they tell you to measure it from the top looking down at where the leading edge meets the fuse,, we want you to turn the plane over and go 70mm from where the LE on the bottom meets the fuse..

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1594808
Ok Thank you.

I measured mine initially using the LE on the BOTTOM of the plane so I think I did it right from the start. However, mine does not balance there. With 2gm added weight in the nose (where it flies just ABOUT perfectly) mine balances probably in the range of 65-67mm from the leading edge on the bottom of the fuse.

Does anyone have any tricks for getting the pushrods out of the control horns? They both seem very stiff and brittle. Afraid if I try to move a pushrod to a different hole I'll destroy the whole thing....
Elisecat is offline Find More Posts by Elisecat