HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:54 PM
Joined Apr 2004
106 Posts
I lauch mine with a underhand gentle toss. I make sure to toss it completely level and it seems to work fine. Try that?
AWDEVO8 is offline Find More Posts by AWDEVO8
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:07 PM
Joined Mar 2005
1,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmans21 View Post
Hi guys, I am brand new to the forum and new to the f-86 sabre. I just received my sabre from towerhobbies on Friday along with the cable to use with my DX8 and 3 250 mah lipos. I was a little surprised when it didn't come with one of the 250 mah lipos like I had read on this forum. We had a perfect 70 degree day with very little wind here in Connecticut, so I decided to maiden the little jet today. As you can tell from the pictures I didn't get very far. I used the 250 mah lipo that tower recommended for the jet and placed it all the way forward like I read on this forum. I launched the jet into a very light 2-3mph wind while holding the throttle at about 80%.....and the jet basically went nose straight up to the sky (about 10 feet) and then came right down nose first. It seemed like the weight of the lipo just tore right through the nose of the jet. I repaired it and went back out a couple of hours later and the same exact thing happened except this time I had more damage (pictures are after the second crash). Any suggestions on what may be causing this (I made sure that all servos were moving in the proper direction)? Also do you think my shotty repair work is going to make the jet unflyable?? (I have a micro t-28 and brushless p-51...never crashed either of them). I am off tomorrow and will make another attempt this time with a camera recording so that if the same thing happens it may be easier to point out what I'm doing wrong.
I would ck the cg. I have a penny in front of my 250 battery. May be a bit nose heavy. Nose heavy you will fly again, tail heavy you only fly once. I do use the runway to take off. I find hand launching you tend to get a bent nose.I usely get a bent nose form a dead battery having to much fun.

Tony
T-spin is offline Find More Posts by T-spin
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:18 PM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmans21 View Post
Hi guys, I am brand new to the forum and new to the f-86 sabre. I just received my sabre from towerhobbies on Friday along with the cable to use with my DX8 and 3 250 mah lipos. I was a little surprised when it didn't come with one of the 250 mah lipos like I had read on this forum. We had a perfect 70 degree day with very little wind here in Connecticut, so I decided to maiden the little jet today. As you can tell from the pictures I didn't get very far. I used the 250 mah lipo that tower recommended for the jet and placed it all the way forward like I read on this forum. I launched the jet into a very light 2-3mph wind while holding the throttle at about 80%.....and the jet basically went nose straight up to the sky (about 10 feet) and then came right down nose first. It seemed like the weight of the lipo just tore right through the nose of the jet. I repaired it and went back out a couple of hours later and the same exact thing happened except this time I had more damage (pictures are after the second crash). Any suggestions on what may be causing this (I made sure that all servos were moving in the proper direction)? Also do you think my shotty repair work is going to make the jet unflyable?? (I have a micro t-28 and brushless p-51...never crashed either of them). I am off tomorrow and will make another attempt this time with a camera recording so that if the same thing happens it may be easier to point out what I'm doing wrong.
Sorry to hear about your crash, it sounds a lot like my experience, mine did the exact same thing on my first few outings. My fuselage looks much like yours. Solid velcro on the battery ensures that it doesn't slam forward in a crash. This will spare your fuselage. I have also added foam in the slot in front of the battery compartment to strengthen things up a bit up there in case the velcro lets go. Sure it adds a few milligrams of nose weight, but this thing needs it.

Good luck!
eltreato is offline Find More Posts by eltreato
Old Apr 16, 2012, 07:19 AM
"Add Lightness"..Colin Chapman
Keystone State, USA
Joined Jun 2007
1,153 Posts
Also sorry to hear about your crash. Your repair doesn't look too bad and should be flyable. One trick though, if you dipped it in some hot water prior to repair you could have gotten out a lot of the creases, etc as the foam will expand back to its original shape. It's a great tool... hot water! I used it on mine already and it worked very well.

I had a similar set back on my maiden. However I added a dime underneath the battery and it flew flawlessly. The dime weighs 2.3gm for reference. I've flown it 4 times since without a problem but I found that the dime is just a BIT too heavy.
I've now gone to 6 BB's (as in BB gun) placed just in front of the battery. The 6 BB's weigh approx 2gm. I haven't had a chance to fly it yet with the change but I'm hoping this will get if flying very neutral. I'm also using Hyperion 240's which are approx 1.2gm less in weight than the stock 250mAh battery.

With the added weight in the nose (dime or BB's) my CG is NOT at 70mm. I would say it is more like 65-67mm from the leading edge. I have the 70mm marked on the bottom of the wings and it balances in front of this mark but I can't get the exact measurement. I'm using 2 pencils stuck in foam to balance.

I also found that moving the dime around even just a couple mm's makes a big difference. Of course on small airframes like this any change can be dramatic.
Elisecat is offline Find More Posts by Elisecat
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:10 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,378 Posts
I glued the fuselage after getting the elevator linkage installed. Wish I'd taped it like was my original plan. Only one side of elevator wanted to work correctly. I'd glued in some pushrod guides and ripped the fuselage to shreds attempting to remove them. A total loss. Gonna use all the internals in another try at an He-162.

I still have a new wing/tail set so maybe I'll get another fuselage kit later and build another.

g
giuseppi is online now Find More Posts by giuseppi
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:20 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,026 Posts
my hobbyking nanotech 300 2S arrived today, they weighed in at 16.85 grams and I reduced the length of the power leads, so that saved a bit. They fit well; I hope to try them tomorrow
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Apr 18, 2012, 02:00 AM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,988 Posts
Mine is flying great with a TP 2S 250 ma pack. Here are some pictures of mine. Stock fan/motor Hacker X-5 ESC 4 servos, 2 elevator, 1 aileron & 1 rudder. XPS Nano receiver
Bob
bruff is online now Find More Posts by bruff
Old Apr 18, 2012, 04:58 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,490 Posts
Buyer Beware! IMHO It ain't worth 40 bucks let alone 140.
Wasn't it WC Fields said there's a sucker born every minute?
Our LHS sent them back, wouldn't even carry them due to the disappointment when the box was opened....
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
Old Apr 18, 2012, 05:51 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,243 Posts
Apex' - no offence but your post is not very constructive.

Have you flown one or do you own one? I couldn't see any posts by you of late referring to either.

If not - it doesn't even sound like you got to see inside the box as your LHS 'sent them back' and all you have to go on is his word?

He must of sent back every other UM model he has ever ordered in as they pretty much look the same when 'flipping the lid open and looking inside'....
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:28 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts

Our LHS can't keep them in stock. Opinions vary. Guess I would ask "what is the reason for your statement?" The GP Tiger Moth was so bad in the durability department I had a similar opinion. However I own both and wouldn't change history in my experiance at all.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:42 AM
United States, NC, Oak Island
Joined Mar 2010
83 Posts
Has anyone tried installing a Spektrum Rx in the plane? It looks like it would be fairly easy. I just don't want to spend another 20 to purchase the anylink adapter so it works with my DX8. It would be cheaper to just get a 2.4 Spektrum compatible Rx and not have to deal with the anylink at all.
Jbray is offline Find More Posts by Jbray
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:04 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Apex' - no offence but your post is not very constructive.

Have you flown one or do you own one? I couldn't see any posts by you of late referring to either.

If not - it doesn't even sound like you got to see inside the box as your LHS 'sent them back' and all you have to go on is his word?

He must of sent back every other UM model he has ever ordered in as they pretty much look the same when 'flipping the lid open and looking inside'....
agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post

Our LHS can't keep them in stock. Opinions vary. Guess I would ask "what is the reason for your statement?" The GP Tiger Moth was so bad in the durability department I had a similar opinion. However I own both and wouldn't change history in my experiance at all.

Fred
Same here.. My LHS is out again

has anyone gotten any real world MPH numbers on this little guy?
thanks
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:34 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,026 Posts
What the hell kind of post is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero View Post
Buyer Beware! IMHO It ain't worth 40 bucks let alone 140.
Wasn't it WC Fields said there's a sucker born every minute?
Our LHS sent them back, wouldn't even carry them due to the disappointment when the box was opened....
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:01 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
What the hell kind of post is this?
Sure makes me look like a fool with two of them doesn't it?? Funny that I think it's a wonderful plane as long as you use the correct CG location and not the one in the GP Sabre manual.
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:02 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
agreed!

Same here.. My LHS is out again

has anyone gotten any real world MPH numbers on this little guy?
thanks

I only have my make believe world numbers..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob