HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:53 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,378 Posts
LBob,

The more I read, the more confused I become regarding the CG. So, I went back and looked at the picture you posted and the comment NC made about it.

I'm posting your picture and a link to his comment.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1187

You are saying the CG is in a circle, but from what I understand from your picture and NC's post relating to it, it looks like it's in the oval?

g
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2012, 01:13 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppi View Post
LBob,

The more I read, the more confused I become regarding the CG. So, I went back and looked at the picture you posted and the comment NC made about it.

I'm posting your picture and a link to his comment.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1187

You are saying the CG is in a circle, but from what I understand from your picture and NC's post relating to it, it looks like it's in the oval?

g
After talking to NC via PM's it turns out that he is not in that oval but in the little circle. So actually he has been flying with a more forward CG than I have been, even with mine being well forward of the instructions location. So when he says that his is flying fine at the proper CG location he actually never flew it there so of course never had the problems I had when I flew it there.. And when I did my first flights with it at the instructions location 70mm from the LE at fuselage when viewed from above which come out to be at that panel line it's about unflyable...
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Apr 02, 2012, 03:23 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
After talking to NC via PM's it turns out that he is not in that oval but in the little circle. So actually he has been flying with a more forward CG than I have been, even with mine being well forward of the instructions location. So when he says that his is flying fine at the proper CG location he actually never flew it there so of course never had the problems I had when I flew it there.. And when I did my first flights with it at the instructions location 70mm from the LE at fuselage when viewed from above which come out to be at that panel line it's about unflyable...
Okay. Didn't realize there was an un-posted discussion. So the little circle we're talking about, using your photo as an example, is the one about even with the two red dots along the wing root? And the sweet spot is in the center of that circle, which measures approximately 68mm from the front of the wing assembly?

g
Old Apr 02, 2012, 03:30 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Okay. Didn't realize there was an un-posted discussion. So the little circle we're talking about, using your photo as an example, is the one about even with the two red dots along the wing root? And the sweet spot is in the center of that circle, which measures approximately 68mm from the front of the wing assembly?

g

Yes those red dots are where I have been flying it with the 300's if I remember right.. I'm going flying now I'll check what happens..
Old Apr 02, 2012, 03:47 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Yes those red dots are where I have been flying it with the 300's if I remember right.. I'm going flying now I'll check what happens..
According to my little ruler here that is 70mm back from the front of the wing assembly where it joins the fuselage.

g
Old Apr 02, 2012, 04:55 PM
Novice in training
United States, NC, Statesville
Joined Aug 2011
708 Posts
Quote:
What connector is on your leads now?
I have the Thunder AC6 charger. http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html
I had to buy an adapter for the Beast with the + and - leads from RC connectors, but can't seem to find one that will work with the F86.
JoshB is offline Find More Posts by JoshB
Last edited by JoshB; Apr 02, 2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 05:35 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
According to my little ruler here that is 70mm back from the front of the wing assembly where it joins the fuselage.

g
BUT not where it should be if you read the instructions.. You are NOT to measure from there.. While it makes more sense to measure for there you are told NOT to.. You are told to measure from where the leading edge of the wing meets the fuselage when viewed from above as per the picture in the instructions. Which makes it on the panel line.

When you just spent $145.00 for a new plane you do tend to follow the instructions thinking that they are correct, and written for a reason.. Which is why from flight one I have been warning that the instruction have the CG to far back,, But NC has been saying wrongly that no they are right and his flies fine there.. When actually it turns out his is even more forward than mine and why his was flying better..

Video of maiden flight of my #2 Sabre might be up in a while,, I haven't looked at it yet..
Last edited by livonia bob; Apr 02, 2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 06:28 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,378 Posts
I didn't have a manual...'til now. Just noticed it's available to view/download on Tower's website. The last time I looked it wasn't available. Been a while since I thought to look.

g
Old Apr 02, 2012, 06:41 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
I have the Thunder AC6 charger. http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html
I had to buy an adapter for the Beast with the + and - leads from RC connectors, but can't seem to find one that will work with the F86.
Okay. I think I see it comes with a male JST. You can get one of these from Tower Hobbies. Or make one up if you have some spares.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...ARCH=gpmm-3134#
Last edited by giuseppi; Apr 02, 2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 06:52 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
OK Guys here is the video of Sabre #2 maiden flight.. Went a lot better than the #1's flights.. Proves you're better off not following the GP instructions..

GP Sabre #2 maiden flight 4_2_2012.wmv (5 min 33 sec)
Old Apr 02, 2012, 07:07 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,378 Posts
LBob,

Glad to see you got it sorted out. So, where did your CG/balance end up being on F-86 Sabre ver. II?

g
Old Apr 02, 2012, 07:25 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
LBob,

Glad to see you got it sorted out. So, where did your CG/balance end up being on F-86 Sabre ver. II?

g
Just a hair forward of the back edge of the little circle. Or right at the 70mm mark if you measured from the front of the wing at the fuselage on the bottom. Or at 63mm if you are measuring as told to do in the instructions. This was with the new 250mAh battery it comes with placed all the way forward...
Old Apr 02, 2012, 07:31 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,243 Posts
Nitro's version of what the manual should say on locating the correct CG

NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Apr 02, 2012, 07:47 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post

Maybe we should add a warning about making the plane unstable if moved back to far/any?? As the more sensitive elevator isn't as strong a warning as it should have..
Old Apr 02, 2012, 09:44 PM
Novice in training
United States, NC, Statesville
Joined Aug 2011
708 Posts
Quote:
Okay. I think I see it comes with a male JST. You can get one of these from Tower Hobbies. Or make one up if you have some spares.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...ARCH=gpmm-3134#
Ok thanks. I couldn't find that. lol Glad I ask. : )
JoshB is offline Find More Posts by JoshB