HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2012, 05:26 PM
Can't leave well enough alone
United States, VT, Burlington
Joined Apr 2007
393 Posts
WooHoo! Mine FINALLY arrived this week, just waiting for the weather to cooperate (figures it arrives the temps went back down to the 30s AFTER it was in the 70s for 5 days straight...GRRR) and to sift through all the great posts from you guys who got yours a bit earlier. :-D

So what's the consensus: Best tip before the maiden? Best mod so far?

Gonna be decent weather this weekend, can't wait!
-Scott
SyncroScott is offline Find More Posts by SyncroScott
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2012, 05:33 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyncroScott View Post
WooHoo! Mine FINALLY arrived this week, just waiting for the weather to cooperate (figures it arrives the temps went back down to the 30s AFTER it was in the 70s for 5 days straight...GRRR) and to sift through all the great posts from you guys who got yours a bit earlier. :-D

So what's the consensus: Best tip before the maiden? Best mod so far?

Gonna be decent weather this weekend, can't wait!
-Scott

Keep the speed up and the nose down..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Mar 30, 2012, 06:22 PM
Just having fun before I die!
DeKalb,IL
Joined Dec 2008
932 Posts
I just opened mine the first problem is the nose cone is turned to the few degrees clock wise. Not a big problem I can live with that. Second I hooked the battery to the charger all I got was both lights flashing error. I checked the battery it is balanced close enough for charging. So I'm break out the big charger and need to make an adapter cable for the mini dean connector. If I get to strike 3 it's out and going back. I know it's only $150.00 bucks but..... Will see well it does have the cool factor!
BadLemon is online now Find More Posts by BadLemon
Old Mar 30, 2012, 06:22 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppi View Post
Repaint thread?

g
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=1600819&pp=25
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:15 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,782 Posts
thanks

Quote:
Check out Freddie B's F-84 build thread. The last few pages in particular .

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1615245

g
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:30 PM
Joined Apr 2007
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Keep the speed up and the nose down..
Thanks, seems like that is a bit of a mantra with this tiny beast. Gonna double check the CG again tonight and maybe mod the elevator balance tabs in hopes of taming the tail heavy demons.
-Scott
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:09 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Check out Freddie B's F-84 build thread. The last few pages in particular .

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1615245

g
Thanks for the plug Giuseppi, and BTW, Silkspan covered wing is now complete, it has been weighed, and the results were fantastic. Jump to the bottom of page 6, and top of page 7 which has all the data and photos of the Silkspan wing info. Thanks again.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Mar 31, 2012, 01:48 AM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,957 Posts
I went with two servos for the elevator. Here are some pictures showing what I did.
Bob
bruff is offline Find More Posts by bruff
Old Mar 31, 2012, 04:29 PM
Joined Apr 2007
393 Posts
Grrrr! Maiden didn't go so well. Flew it in a field with shin-deep grass, perfect for cushioning the occasional premature return to earth. In fact, after it nosed in nearly vertically from about 30' agl I feared the worst only to find...not a single scratch or dent! However that same grass swallowed my battery, canopy, and nose gear; never to be found. Darn it!

Murphy's law worked against me since I had JUST put an order in with Tower Hobbies this morning, working hard to hit the $100 to get free shipping. I called in hopes of getting replacement items added to that order but alas I was too late. Looks like I'll be paying shipping after all! Not to mention if I had waited to place the first order I think I could have hit $125 and may have been eligible for $15 off in addition to the shipping! Darn you Murphy!

Oh well; Build, Fly, Crash, Repeat!
-Scott
Old Mar 31, 2012, 04:59 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyncroScott View Post
Grrrr! Maiden didn't go so well. Flew it in a field with shin-deep grass, perfect for cushioning the occasional premature return to earth. In fact, after it nosed in nearly vertically from about 30' agl I feared the worst only to find...not a single scratch or dent! However that same grass swallowed my battery, canopy, and nose gear; never to be found. Darn it!

Murphy's law worked against me since I had JUST put an order in with Tower Hobbies this morning, working hard to hit the $100 to get free shipping. I called in hopes of getting replacement items added to that order but alas I was too late. Looks like I'll be paying shipping after all! Not to mention if I had waited to place the first order I think I could have hit $125 and may have been eligible for $15 off in addition to the shipping! Darn you Murphy!

Oh well; Build, Fly, Crash, Repeat!
-Scott
Any idea why did it a 30' nose dive?? Did you have your battery Velcroed in place? Mine has yet to come out. If you think you will always be flying with the landing gear on you can push it into the holder more and it snaps in so it will not come out.. But then you have to melt the holes in the box that GP forgot to do so it will still fit.. I'm always finding the canopy off,, I'm going to add a stop at the front to see if this will help as I think it's sliding forward and off the magnets in a crash..
Old Apr 01, 2012, 11:53 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,782 Posts
I wish GP would hurry up and offer these micro servos and RX for sale.

I could use them in some scratch builds vs HK junk!
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:13 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,373 Posts
Here's the insides w/o the pushrods installed. Still waiting for control horns to arrive.

g
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:16 AM
Novice in training
United States, NC, Statesville
Joined Aug 2011
708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadLemon View Post
So I'm break out the big charger and need to make an adapter cable for the mini dean connector.
I have kind of the same issue. My charger will not charge just through the balance port. I have to have the + and - leads to hook in. I ran into this same problem with my UMX Beast I got for Christmas. You or anyone know of anyone that is making such adapter? I got my Beast adapter from RC connections but don't see anything like that for the F86.
JoshB is offline Find More Posts by JoshB
Old Apr 02, 2012, 10:13 AM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
As most of you know Nitro and I have had a little disagrement on how this plane flies..

After a couple of PM's we have found out why..

I think we have found the problem.. I followed the GP Sabre instructions to the letter as to where to measure the CG from, "70mm from the wing leading edge where it meets the fuselage when looking down at the fuselage from above (see photo). Where he used common sense like they should of and measured from a better place where looking at the bottom where the wing meets the fuselage. There is a 6mm difference between these to points. So Nitro has actually been flying with a more forward CG location then I have been and not the place that the instructions say to have it as he reported..

Even with me moving mine more forward from the instructions location his was even more forward. So he never had the pitch up problems that those of us that did follow the instructions to the letter have had...

So my new CG location of 3-5mm in front of that panel line I have talked about is actually making mine still more tail heavy than his is while being 4mm in front of the instructions location..

So to make things a lot easier for you all.. Look at the bottom of your Sabre and find the little circle on the bottom behind the push rods. You want the CG to fall within that little circle. More towards the front for a more stable flight, more towards the back for aerobatic flight, but keeping within the circle.

My #2 Sabre with it's 250 battery does balance in the middle of the circle...

Have any of you actually followed the instructions and checked that the elevator right and left has 1/4" of travel and that the rudder has 5/16" up and down? Do you hold the plane so it's canopy is to the right or the left with the wings up and down??
Last edited by livonia bob; Apr 02, 2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 10:27 AM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
I have kind of the same issue. My charger will not charge just through the balance port. I have to have the + and - leads to hook in. I ran into this same problem with my UMX Beast I got for Christmas. You or anyone know of anyone that is making such adapter? I got my Beast adapter from RC connections but don't see anything like that for the F86.
What connector is on your leads now?
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi