Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:43 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,997 Posts
Pdawg---About the Firebird---Did you use a drop tank as a template for a fuselage like I did??

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:47 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,369 Posts
KG,

Try walking 50 yds. instead.

Seriously, hope they get it all sorted out soon.

g
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:59 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Hope they get you back in shape...

What/where were you calling the right CG at? the 70mm or the 67mm I advised was best?
When mine was nose heavy mine was at your forward marking...It actually flew with zero elevator trim and only a click or two of left aileron...But in the turns she felt nose heavy, tucking when banking...I'm thinking that with the undercambered airfoil with the CG in the right spot the plane will probably climb a little at full throttle and at low throttle sink a little...My symetrical winged planes all are neutral at all throttle settings, not climbing when advancing the throttle, not loosing much altitude when the throttle is chopped...(Other than what normal drag/gravity imposes on the plane.)

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:25 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
30mm fans arrived.

I got my GP 30mm EDF units. I'm posting a photo just because.... These units are lightweight and have such a cool and agressive impeller. I have the Ammo Brushless NIB waiting. Got to finish up my F-84 first, but these are itching to be put into a 'homebuilt'! I like the idea of the ducting becoming a large portion of the shroud, since plastic is always very heavy compared to other building materials.

These just won't be much good on quick and dirty profile jobs if the builder doesn't want to make cones. Yogurt cups here we come.....

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:50 AM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,369 Posts
bruff,

Did you take any pictures of the alieron servo in the fuselage/wing before you glued it?

If yes, will you post them?

g
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:52 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Sabre wing is brittle?

So in reading the posts on wing damage, and seeing photos of wing breakage, plus I own the Sabre I have concluded a thought. Great Planes came out with a fantastic looking Tiger Moth in the Electrifly line. The model got a real bad rap because the wings snap and break constantly with little influence needed for such an event. I own that model too, and although I've been careful, mine too seems to be extreemly sensitive to wing breakage. There is a thread on the TM, and it is mostly about disappointed ownerse. The wings are much bigger, but just as thin, so breakage is constant.

The wings are a Depron molded to shape, covered in a very thin plastic film. I really believe that this film has stress causing properties, the foam is thin, and the combo is not ideal.

I do not like to renforce stock airplanes, but the suggestions on a bit of carbon fiber, or even thinking about some lightweight supple covering like Silkspan or Fiberglass might be warranted. Just a thought, carry on!

Fred
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:02 AM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,369 Posts
Freddie B,

I was just thinking about some silkspan and Polycrylic on the wing but am more than a little concerned about the weight.

Checked your blog. Like the wing baking jig.

g
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:41 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppi View Post
Freddie B,

I was just thinking about some silkspan and Polycrylic on the wing but am more than a little concerned about the weight.

Checked your blog. Like the wing baking jig.

g
Giuseppi,

Just posted a wing blank (raw foam) that I covered in '000' Silkspan, 2 coats of polycrylic, and the weight gain is respectable. See this Here.

If you want to see another silkspan test, same build, for an idea of weight, See Here.

I'm encouraged how light this process actually turns out.

Fred
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:08 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppi View Post
bruff,

Did you take any pictures of the alieron servo in the fuselage/wing before you glued it?

If yes, will you post them?

g
No but I'm building a couple more F-86 so I'll take some pictures. I will be a day or so.
Bob
bruff is offline Find More Posts by bruff
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:52 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,369 Posts
FreddieB,

Excellent. I have some of that same silk that has been Rit Dye colored. Also still have some plain. A bunch of 1/2oz. fibreglass cloth as well. Thanks for doing the research

bruff,

Looking forward to seeing those images. Because my servos are bigger than stock I'd like to see where the servo horn fits in the slot in the wing. Is it centered or off to one side a bit? Can't wait to see one with your custom paint job.

g
Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:40 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,369 Posts
Made these aileron bell cranks today. Cut some discs from scrap plastic sheet with a Hobbico circle cutter to fit the recesses in the wing. Removed 2 of the arms from some 4 way servo arms and attached them to the discs with screws.

g
Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:54 PM
USA, MO, O'Fallon
Joined Dec 2003
2,075 Posts
How does this plane fly in comparison to the RealFlight 6 model? I just got my F-86 today and am curious about what to expect(ish) on the maiden.

Also, best wish on the ticker problem - That is the sort of thing that takes some small amount of precedence over flying.

Another coda is thanks for the weight gain vs. wing reinforcement. I have one of those fragile moths and while it flew with grace and beauty I got tired of the wings snapping in flight. I do NOT want a repeat of that.
martimer is offline Find More Posts by martimer
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:47 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,191 Posts
martimer, they won't snap. I have done hard loops with a heavy lipo and nothing happened at all - except that it flew great...
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:51 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
martimer, they won't snap. I have done hard loops with a heavy lipo and nothing happened at all - except that it flew great...
The snap or breakage is usually during a hard or early arrival. Flight loads are nothing with the AUW of this airframe. All that shipping damage is a whole different subject.

Fred
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:29 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,255 Posts
No but it will hopefully be more apt at handling the crashes the poor thing will likely go through lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
So if I just add some CF to the wing and tail I'll go back to a old stall where the nose drops down and get rid of this new stall where it goes up? I'll have to peal off all the tape to do this..
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29