HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2012, 03:05 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_matt View Post
No problem!! Good luck with your maiden!! Also I haven't tweaked my C.G. yet like many here have. I threw in a little piece of velcro to make sure my battery stays all the way fwd. Mine flys good at the rec C.G., but other guys have moved it a little fwd by adding a little weight up front or using a little bigger MAH battery.
yeah, I think the CG is good to get right on this one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltreato View Post
Thanks Man. I was kinda surprised there's no CG info in the manual. I was also surprised it didn't come with any valcro I'm going to be running 240mah Hyperions with a homemaded UMX to Deans adapter, I'm hoping that will be enough weight initially. That said I saw an earlier post saying the 240 wasn't enough. I'll post up results after the maiden in the coming days.
Great job buddy!
they are easy as pie to make and the 240s will wake this up good and give better CG on this little jet
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2012, 05:28 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppi View Post
Go NAVY

Where'd my picture go?

g
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
Old Feb 26, 2012, 05:49 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,007 Posts
Quote:
Where'd my picture go?

g
I was wondering the SAME THING!!!...Here one minute---Gone the next!!!...I LIKE your Fury paint scheme...I'm thinking of a Navy Fury with the trainer scheme...A little easier for me to SEE!!!......

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Feb 26, 2012, 07:06 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,497 Posts
I'd like to paint mine like a Goldenhawk, but, dont have the skills or patience lol
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Feb 26, 2012, 07:17 PM
Joined Nov 2011
3,257 Posts
Quote:
Where'd my picture go?

g
I really dig that one!
Old Feb 26, 2012, 07:59 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,371 Posts
Hey. It's baaaaaaack!

g
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
Old Feb 26, 2012, 08:07 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Man. I was kinda surprised there's no CG info in the manual. I was also surprised it didn't come with any valcro I'm going to be running 240mah Hyperions with a homemaded UMX to Deans adapter, I'm hoping that will be enough weight initially. That said I saw an earlier post saying the 240 wasn't enough. I'll post up results after the maiden in the coming days.
My manual said 70mm from where the wing meets the fuse,, Which worked out to the panel line across the fuse behind the bellcranks. Which on mine was to far back for my taste..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Feb 26, 2012, 09:38 PM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
557 Posts
The Flying Dentist's Drill

Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
My manual said 70mm from where the wing meets the fuse,, Which worked out to the panel line across the fuse behind the bellcranks. Which on mine was to far back for my taste..
Thanks Bob. I may need to reread mine, I'm sure it's probably in mine too.

Sooo, I got to maiden mine today. Wow, what a plane. This was my first go at flying EDF ever, prior to this I've had about six months flying other micros, so I'm a noob. I had a 240mah UMX Hyperion with an adapter almost identical to the one posted on the last page (parts purchased from Glenn :-) ). It worked great, but the UMX battery wires are a bit long and with the adapter the only way I could get the canopy shut was to have the battery slid pretty far back, further than I would have liked, given the aft center of gravity.

Where I fly all I have for a runway is one of those astroturf cricket runways, it's oriented perpendicular to the prevailing winds, it's okay on calm days for my Pole Cat, but if I could takeoff with the Sabre on it, I know there's no way I could land on it.

So my first hand launch was dicey, I had about 50-60% throttle with a dart toss slightly upwards it flew for about 20ft and started stalling, it even flipped around at me kinda like in Livonia Bob's video, if I had more altitude I might have been able to fly out of it. I gave it throttle and it actually hovered for a second (I was laughing about hovering EDFs earlier in this thread, but this kinda hovered) then fell with no damage. My next throw I gave it a little more of a toss as if I were playing darts with a lawn dart, and it took off just fine. I think the fact my battery was further back in the battery compartment than I would've liked didn't help things the first time around.

Once in the air I couldn't believe how comfortable I felt flying it. I kept it safe flying large circuits, but I felt completely in control with 65% rates and 25% expo (thanks M3_Matt). If anything I'll likely take the elevator up to 80% next time. I didn't have to touch the trim at all.

The area I fly is about the size of two side-by-side soccer fields in a pretty highly-populated neighbourhood. Lucky for me these fields are always empty. I felt completely comfortable coming from my T-28 and Pole Cat background. I actually appreciated how stable it was. This thing didn't feel like a micro, it felt solid and stable. As soon as it was about 100 yards from me I realized I forgot to do a range check, but I didn't need to worry the AnyLink worked beautifully with my DX6i, I'm really happy with it. I hope Great Planes comes up with more exciting micros like this one, so far this is the only one in their lineup that interests me.

I ended up doing two minute and a half flights. On my second landing into about 1-2mph wind I brought it in slow and low and flared before touching down, but it stopped quite suddenly. This thing doesn't flare quite like my other micros. When I got to it, both wing tips had dime-sized perforations at the trailing edge where it meets the far end by the ailerons. I'm not sure if they dragged on landing or what, but they were easily repaired with CA. I've taped 'em too and I hope they'll be fine as I'm limited to belly landings. I'm a bit concerned about what may happen wiht future belly landings. This thing was so much fun I'd consider buying land and making my own airstrip for it, I would love to land with the gear on.

One thing I couldn't get over was the noise, this bird is loud. It sounds great, but it could be quite obnoxious for anyone other than moi. I kept the throttle down to keep the noise down and found the flight envelope to be very deep on the low end, thanks to all the wing camber. On one or two passes I gave it about 80% throttle and found that it start climbing at maybe 30 degrees or so, it felt like I could easily use my throttle as my elevator if I had to.

Anyways this thing is crazy fun, I'm looking forward to really being able to test out its top end.

Oh yeah, and after flying this thing I pulled out my Pole Cat and immediately dorked it breaking the rudder by pulling out of an inverted pass the wrong way, it's so snappy compared to this thing. In a way I felt more in control with the Sabre

Cheers,

eltreato
eltreato is offline Find More Posts by eltreato
Old Feb 26, 2012, 09:50 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,194 Posts
The reason it climbed when you throttled up is you are nose heavy. 70mm back is a great spot for CG.

If ever in doubt on CG, fly upside-down and see how much elevator you have to hold down to keep it level.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Feb 26, 2012, 09:55 PM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
The reason it climbed when you throttled up is you are nose heavy. 70mm back is a great spot for CG.

If ever in doubt on CG, fly upside-down and see how much elevator you have to hold down to keep it level.
Ahh thanks, I'm curious to find my CG before my next flight.
eltreato is offline Find More Posts by eltreato
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:11 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Ahh thanks, I'm curious to find my CG before my next flight.

Always make sure the advise you are following is for the plane you are flying..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:07 PM
Joined Nov 2011
3,257 Posts
Quote:

I don't understand that?
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:37 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,194 Posts
Turn upside down with a nose heavy micro jet and watch it head for the deck!

Same as if you throttle off and the plane dives, it's because you've been holding the heavy nose up with up elevator... so if you throttle up - more wind on the elevator - more response - more nose up.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:46 PM
Joined Nov 2011
3,257 Posts
Quote:
Turn upside down with a nose heavy micro jet and watch it head for the deck!

Same as if you throttle off and the plane dives, it's because you've been holding the heavy nose up with up elevator... so if you throttle up - more wind on the elevator - more response - more nose up.
Now I got it..
thanks!
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:29 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,194 Posts
As for my Sabre - I've been flying it all during the week and it flies great! .

For those who guessed right, I had strapped a stripped down #11 HD keychain cam sitting on top of the lipo. Unfortunately, the sucker kept switching off on me right after launch all week.

First, I tried powering it from one cell of the jet's lipo - the cam would switch off when I throttled up. I tried repeatedly to film in flight, thinking each time I was getting interference.
To eliminate suspected power problems, I tried running a separate 160mah lipo (crappo-tech) but the same thing happened, so I was still thinking interference somewhere.

Yesterday, after it cut out repeatedly at the field each time I throttled up, I decided to run the cam via one of the jet's lipo cells without the motor running and it recorded all the way home.

OK, I must be hitting LVC for the cam, so I strapped a 3.3V regulator to it and powered it from both cells via the balance plug. It cut out the moment I tried to record. Bingo! LVC on the keychain cam is pretty high! So I floated the GND of the AMS1117 VR (3.3V regulator) using a 470 ohm resistor which brought the output voltage up to 3.9V. I turned on the cam, hit record and throttled up and left it running. No more cam shut downs!.

Thanks to the CT lipo - I had wasted more time because the 25C rated lipo couldn't handle powering a keychain cam... pfffft!..... more reason to never touch that brand again...

The weather finally cooled down enough for me to get a few onboard video's this morning. I hope to upload them this evening if I can. This is just me filling time until I can get my video guys at the field with me and I can do a proper review.