HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2012, 01:07 PM
Capt, USAF
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Feb 2009
926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
He's not sick of it.. he's just a useless pilot when it comes to micro jet's... he can't touch and go to save his life on smooth concrete.... sheeesh.... he tried a whole 5 times to get it right and gave up, selling it for 10 bucks less than he paid for it. I hope it finds a good home.
Thanks for the kind words from down under! Came off a bit harsh considering we've never met....I'm not going to compare my own stick skills to yours, which are probably vastly superior, but I will say that I found it to be challenging landing this thing the same way I would a full-scale jet....The "runway" was a chruch parking lot, its actually more of an asphault surface, with lots of little pebbles and other inconsistencies that would otherwise go unnoticed on a bigger/heavier craft. Also, I noticed it doesn't take much wind at all to greatly affect the landing character. Plus I'm definitely tail-heavy.

To say I screwed all the landings up would still not be accurate - I nailed a large number of them actually, but the failure rate (Anything less than perfect two wheel touchdown and gradual nose-drop is jet-fail in my book) was a little too much for my liking - For me, this jet is a breath of fresh air and a huge step in the right direction for the micro EDF market, but it isn't the answer on its own.

I picked up the Art-Tech 30mm V2 Sabre, and we will see how that one goes. It is a fair bit larger and has a more robust gear setup, so we'll see what comes of that. Otherwise it will just serve as a hand-launcher - This GP Sabre does quite well in that capacity.

BTW, I don't know what's up with the pricing inconsistencies being reported on the plane, but mine rang up right around $150 after tax (Hobbytown USA) This is a considerably better buy if they are sold in mass @110 shipped somewhere.
Roswalt is offline Find More Posts by Roswalt
Last edited by Roswalt; Feb 22, 2012 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Additional info
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2012, 04:33 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
Sorry Roswalt - the big huge smilie face at the end was me trying to indicate a tongue in cheek poke of fun at you. My apologies if it came off otherwise.

They should have a clown smilie to indicate humour in this forum.... text makes it hard to convey 'poking fun'.

I think for you to grease a landing you'd have to fly indoors and land on fake sports ground stuff or basketball flooring. The wheels are tiny so any bumps will have a hideous affect on them.

Keep us posted on the Artech version over in the other thread!
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Feb 22, 2012, 08:11 PM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,552 Posts
Micro Minute Men F-86

My idea of fun.
pdawg is offline Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Feb 22, 2012, 09:59 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,900 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg View Post
My idea of fun.
Cute. Is that the new Sabre per this thread just refinished? I like it!
strictlyscale is offline Find More Posts by strictlyscale
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:06 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
Goofing off darn you! Nice.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:35 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,020 Posts
Quote:
My idea of fun.
You've already re-done this Sabre and made it your own...I HATE YOU!!!......Where/how did you get/do the "Minute Man" logo????---And the rest of the decals for that matter???

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:45 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
You've already re-done this Sabre and made it your own...I HATE YOU!!!......Where/how did you get/do the "Minute Man" logo????---And the rest of the decals for that matter???

Kevin
We don't really hate him. Regular Artist isn't he! Must be searching the old web 24-7, and no sleep. Ahhh what it was to be young and full of energy. Now we can fly formation and remember which F-86 is ours.

Fred
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:12 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post
We don't really hate him. Regular Artist isn't he! Must be searching the old web 24-7, and no sleep. Ahhh what it was to be young and full of energy. Now we can fly formation and remember which F-86 is ours.

Fred
Yep--I don't hate him but envy him...He has talents in this hobby that only come around every now and then...Have you seen his moulded wings for his own design micro EDF???...No doubt you have!!!...I just wish that I lived closer to him to learn his techniques...A FINE doctor/surgeon he will be if he is half as talented in his profession as he is modeling!!!..

Kevin
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:17 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
Hey pdawg, here's my idea of fun! A little warm out there today (100F) so cruised around with the top down... video to follow....

NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:34 PM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,552 Posts
Sean,
This is definitely the Great Planes F-86. I just took some time to give it a new look.

Kevin,
The model is approximately 1/28th scale. I used Callie graphics and a few Internet photos to scale down the decals. Highly recommend Callie! She is so nice to work with and her decals are great! And thank you for the kind words...I do enjoy building.

Freddie,
Glad you like it....I did search the Internet a bit for the scale photos
pdawg is offline Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:35 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,020 Posts
Nitro---I like that "High Tech" hold down device you have there!!!......Doing a little bit of testing, are we???......

Kevin
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:58 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,821 Posts
so some people have these that are testing them I guess? Going to be interesting to see these compare to the HH Mig
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:04 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,882 Posts
Quote:
My idea of fun.
Awesme!
makes me wana do my own version now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Hey pdawg, here's my idea of fun! A little warm out there today (100F) so cruised around with the top down... video to follow....

Uhhhhh...
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:27 AM
Joined Mar 2007
4,020 Posts
OK ..Pdawg!!!...You've raised the bar---Whether you wanted to or not!!!...Since my wing is trashed and there aren't any spares available I'm going to dive into my stash of Depron and make a wing...I'm thinking of a symetrical/semi-symetrical wing with separate aileron servos....As for the paint scheme---How many THOUSANDS are out there???....I'm thinking of an easy Navy version of the F-86...A Fury!!!...

Kevin
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:58 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
Nitro's version is actually a movie prop for the upcoming Movie "Terminator 8", and that is his cyborg pilot 'Mikey'.

I'm sure it adds to the aerodynamics and streamlining of the special version of the F-86. LOL.

Oh, probably a 4 cell, 120 MPH speed demon just so the rest of us can drop our jaw and give up! Now why in the heck did they have to ship one of these down under anyways!

Fred