HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2012, 01:54 AM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
942 Posts
I wonder how many of these were sent out since I have been to the LHS about 3-4 times and they said the ordered 3 weeks ago! I was hoping I'd get one. It's not too bad for me though since I have to get my Kid some dental work after his tooth was chipped during wrestling matches so there goes the disposable income any ways .
MUTCAKE is offline Find More Posts by MUTCAKE
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2012, 02:10 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,200 Posts
Once I see how the model is constructed, I'll plan the best way to make the mods. All this will be done after a full round of testing and a full review of the model flying indoors and outdoors stock out of the box... and if me likey lots... mods may be postponed while I enjoy the fun.

So far, the mods I plan are steerable nose wheel, retracts, internal aileron control, air cooling holes in the inrunner then a fan unit upgrade and 3S to see how it handles some speed and last but not least FPV flight. Just a slight buff up really..... ...did I miss any smilies?

NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Feb 19, 2012, 02:22 AM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Brushless55 - At a guess, based on the fact the ESC is 6A - No!! the extra current and voltage would more than likely damage the ESC. Even if it didn't, it may reduce the ESC's ability to drive the 3 servo's. Grab a 10A 3S capable ESC and be safe, oh - and a bigger motor.
Ditto!!!...I have plenty of itty bitty 10-12 amp ESC's rated for 3 to 4 cells that will slide right into this Sabre...The motor is another problem that we'll have to solve with less kv...I'm sure that the experimenters here will play with 5 blade and 6 blade rotors as well as 3S with a different motor...The Sabre already has plenty of thrust to loop from level flight---As Nitro stated, now go after SPEED!!!......

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:31 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
C'mon guys, the weekend is "almost" over already, where are all the videos??? Must have been flying like crazy yesterday no?

AndyMatt, you're video is totally awesome btw! Crossing fingers that you have fixed it up and made some more video already? Please, please?
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:46 AM
Team Futaba
Rochester New York
Joined Oct 2004
948 Posts
I will try and shoot a video tomorrow night indoors
Devin McGRath is online now Find More Posts by Devin McGRath
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:49 AM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
C'mon guys, the weekend is "almost" over already, where are all the videos??? Must have been flying like crazy yesterday no?

AndyMatt, you're video is totally awesome btw! Crossing fingers that you have fixed it up and made some more video already? Please, please?
I'm going to go pick mine up in about a couple of hours....A front just came through and it's gusty---Last night winds were 30-40mph!!!......If the winds die down I may get in a flight or two just before dark...My 10 year old will have to hold the camera so don't expect too much in the way of quality...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Feb 19, 2012, 12:23 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Yeah, that's the spirit!
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Feb 19, 2012, 01:12 PM
The building never ends!
Tucson, AZ
Joined Oct 2008
1,056 Posts
I got mine Friday for $127.99 before tax. Hooking up the AnyLink to my old DX6i and making all the necessary control mapping and reversals was relatively painless.

I made two mods before flying the Sabre. One was small carbon fiber rods in the horizontal stabilizers, since the elevator seemed less-rigid than I would've liked, and clear tape along the vertical stabilizer, since it tended to flex a bit with rudder movement. Also, I put a couple of short strips of clear tape along the leading edges of the wingtips. I charged up the stock battery, and one of my Hyperion 240 mAH 2S packs (I have several of those, since I have two planes that use them,) and waited for the morning.

Flying the Sabre is an interesting experience. It tracks well in the sky, and it has a crisp roll rate. It has plenty of power for huge loops, and will do all the expected warbird aerobatics. It also slows down well, though have to be careful to keep the nose close to level. Landing is different than landing other micro planes, since it has to be flown all the way to the ground. I'm still working on that.

It also has a really nasty stall. Others have noticed that it has a tendency to drop the tail and go nose-up when it runs out of airspeed. I've had it happen on two flights. One was a landing (this Sabre has enough power to hover with a Hyperion pack . . . but without vectored thrust, it works about as well as you'd expect.) The other time was when it was 400 - 500 ft out, going into the wind. Fortunately it was about 20 mistakes high, and I spent about 10 of them getting the Sabre back under control.

I'm pretty sure the cause for this is a couple of things. First, this Sabre has a noticeably bigger wing than other Sabres. This makes it more likely that the wings will disrupt airflow over the tail in high-alpha flight. Without propwash over the tail to keep it working, the tail plane stalls and the back of the Sabre drops. Second, is that the wing is deeply undercambered. Undercambered airfoils have lots of lift and lots of drag. That's how Great Planes made it so the Sabre could slow down so much . . . a lightweight airframe held up with lots of high-lift wing.

Undercambered wings don't handle wind as well as other airfoils. When they fly into the wind, they tend to balloon at the expense of airspeed. So when the wind stops, the effective airspeed is suddenly much lower, unless you keep the nose down and the power on.

tl;dr - Keep the nose down. Overall, I'm happy with the Sabre, and I think this thread needs more pics. So, without further ado . . .
Ensign Jimmy is offline Find More Posts by Ensign Jimmy
Old Feb 19, 2012, 02:38 PM
The building never ends!
Tucson, AZ
Joined Oct 2008
1,056 Posts
After I wrote the above message, I looked a little more into the problem and read about something called the "Sabre Dance," which sounds suspiciously like the behavior I've seen out of this Sabre (i.e. the stall is characterized by a violent pitching-up.) Only that was described as being the nature of swept-wings . . . i.e. the wingtips stall first and the center of lift sweeps forward as the stall progresses back to the wing roots, causing a violent nose-up movement.

The fix seems to be wing fences. So I tried cutting some out of clear plastic packaging material (to preserve that "looks about right from here" scale,) and affixed them on the wings. And then I took it right back outside where the winds are currently gusty and variable . . . i.e. an undercambered micro's worst nightmare.

Stall behavior seems dramatically improved. There were a couple of instances where I intentionally nosed up and cut back power while turning into the wind. I saw wing-rock but no sudden nose-ups followed by loss of control. I will have to continue experimenting, but the first outing seems very promising.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 02:56 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,544 Posts
EJ, What do you think about the ventral fins approach?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=109
pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Feb 19, 2012, 04:42 PM
The building never ends!
Tucson, AZ
Joined Oct 2008
1,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
EJ, What do you think about the ventral fins approach?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=109
I think what the ventral fins do is they add lift to the tail, pushing the center of lift back. That way, if the wing stalls, they counteract the pitch-up of the nose, preventing the deadly "Sabre dance."

What they're saying about the tail being "blanked" is probably true, but if I were to guess, the reason the tail is blanked is because it's sitting in turbulent airflow behind the wings, and the reason it's turbulent behind the wings is because they're already stalled.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 05:34 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
GP F-86, 2_19_12, 3rd flight, 320mAh battery, tape on stab, full rate +120%TA on Elev. (4 min 13 sec)
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Feb 19, 2012, 06:34 PM
United States, PA, Carlisle
Joined Oct 2011
297 Posts
Ensign Jimmy, what size carbon rods did you use on the horizontal stab and did you inlay them or just glue them to the top of the stab? I just got my Sabre this weekend and haven't had a chance to fly it yet. I noticed the stab is pretty thin so some reinforcement definitely seems like a good idea.

I have flown my Evader a few times and it really cooks and gets small really fast. I have great respect for it and don't let my speed decay, especially when I'm at a high angle of bank and the stall speed is higher. I'm going to use this strategy with my Sabre.

Thanks in advance for your reply,

Dave
dreisinger is offline Find More Posts by dreisinger
Old Feb 19, 2012, 06:52 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,200 Posts
I got a great surprise this morning - my Sabre arrived.

Why such a surprise? I found the box behind my green waste bin around the side of my house when I went to fill the watering can this morning!!..
I am really looking forward to reviewing this jet! It has been said by all who have received theirs that it looks really nice in real life. I agree, this looks great!

NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Feb 19, 2012, 07:03 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,253 Posts
Replacement Part

Evening Gents,

My nephew reminded my Misses about a package I received yesterday. Funny how things can be forgotten. Anyway, much to my surprise, it was a package from Tower Hobbies. No, not a F-86, IMHO something more important, scratch building that is. That itty bitty Ammo 10-15-11500KV brushless motor. Two in fact. They weight in at 6g and mounting screws are included. But more importantly, it comes with a 1.5mm shaft, that is a whisker short of 9mm in length. This little pup will take a 1.5mm ID prop adapter to boot if need be. For you scratch builders out there, this may be the Holy Grail, the 10mm motor you've been wishing for. And better yet, Tower Hobbies has them in stock. At least when I ordered two more. So, go get'em while there hot, or still in stock.

Unfortunately, it'll be mid week before I'll be able to set one up and take measurements. But when I do, I'll be sure to post results.

Ksqm
ksqm is offline Find More Posts by ksqm