Old Feb 13, 2012, 05:19 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
Bob - please keep us updated.

T-spin - I thought I read somewhere that the F86 was faster? Didn't someone say that the Sabre will go 40+ MPH?

I can't be certain but I thought someone in the mig thread quoted speeds of less than 40 MPH

Then again; not sure.

Can't really see why the mig would be faster though ?
I was able to use my flame-less micro torch and melt holes in the foam box all the way down to the cardboard and now it will sit in the box with the wheels on..

Now why in the world would I have to do this.. It never occurred to them that some of us would be flying with the wheels on all the time and don't wish to risk damaging the plane taking them on and off just so we can store it in the box??

It only has a three bladed fan so I can see where it might be slower than the Mig..
livonia bob is online now Find More Posts by livonia bob
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2012, 05:50 PM
Current project: Electrolyte
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,461 Posts
After all Liviona Bob's bitching and screaming I am glad he received his model first so we don't have to continue to hear his negativity. I'll continue to be positive and patiently wait for my order to be processed like all the other adults around here!
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Feb 13, 2012, 06:01 PM
Joined Mar 2005
1,077 Posts
Razors,

I was watching them fly side by side...Like I said I don't know if the F-86 was wide open ? But I would think the Co reps would showoff all they had...Lots of room.

Tony
T-spin is online now Find More Posts by T-spin
Old Feb 13, 2012, 06:21 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,184 Posts
damn - I was hoping the Sabre would be faster - oh well; one can always mod it
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Feb 13, 2012, 06:24 PM
Just some guy
Joined Aug 2006
662 Posts
Fly in there some time at 40 + mph and you will know why flat out all the time isn't always the way to go. The only "rep" I saw flying was flat out Frank Noll. The rest were team Futaba guys who had never seen the planes prior to Sat morning. I gave mine away as I have had the chance to fly there before and will again in the future. BTW, numbers of blades has nothing to do with speed or we would wind up with a solid plastic disk:-)
D Johnson is offline Find More Posts by D Johnson
Old Feb 13, 2012, 06:30 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Johnson View Post
Fly in there some time at 40 + mph and you will know why flat out all the time isn't always the way to go. The only "rep" I saw flying was flat out Frank Noll. The rest were team Futaba guys who had never seen the planes prior to Sat morning. I gave mine away as I have had the chance to fly there before and will again in the future. BTW, numbers of blades has nothing to do with speed or we would wind up with a solid plastic disk:-)
Good news on the blade thanks...,, Now how about you make some holes in the foam in the box for the wheels to fit into. Change the printing on the box so that it's right side up when the model in the box is when looking at the handle end as it's confusing. Or where these boxes just the first ones rushed out the door so I could get mine...
livonia bob is online now Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Feb 13, 2012, 06:31 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,184 Posts
See I knew it wasn't slow

P to the D, double dawg - dont be too hard on Livonia,
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Feb 13, 2012, 06:39 PM
"Add Lightness"..Colin Chapman
Keystone State, USA
Joined Jun 2007
1,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post

Now why in the world would I have to do this.. It never occurred to them that some of us would be flying with the wheels on all the time and don't wish to risk damaging the plane taking them on and off just so we can store it in the box??

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg View Post
After all Liviona Bob's bitching and screaming I am glad he received his model first so we don't have to continue to hear his negativity.
Uhh..... WHAT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Good news on the blade thanks...,, Now how about you make some holes in the foam in the box for the wheels to fit into. Change the printing on the box so that it's right side up when the model in the box is when looking at the handle end as it's confusing. Or where these boxes just the first ones rushed out the door so I could get mine...
Elisecat is offline Find More Posts by Elisecat
Old Feb 13, 2012, 06:46 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,842 Posts
damn, so much for Karma...
foam and tape is offline Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Feb 13, 2012, 06:46 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,184 Posts
I've dopplered both and the Sabre is faster.

Looking at the Sabre's rotor, I think they have a good balance of both static and eflux with low blade count but a good sized paddle of a blade.

The fun begins when we start hopping them both up and see who can rip the wings off which one first! LOL
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:02 PM
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined May 2007
145 Posts
I have not flown either the mig or the f-86. I did get to see them fly at E-Fest and what impressed this non-jet pilot was not the all out speed, they can both go fast, but the speed envelope of the jets. Both of them could be slowed to a speed where a biplane pilot like myself could fly them. The most impressive demonstration I saw was the 5 ship formation flight around the building by the mig pilots. It looked very realistic. All that was missing was the heat plume off the exhaust. The same thing could have been done with the F-86 though.

I dont know which is faster. Red objects always appear to be going faster than they actually are . From what I saw they looked too close in speed to call. Both of the models looked like they would be fun to fly. I can understand the frustration of having to wait for delivery of either one. I think I read somewhere, perhaps on this forum, that both hobbico and horizon service their vendors before orders from the web site. I think my new strategy will be to order through my LHS (luck to still have one) if I want something from either supplier as fast as possible.

It is amazing that these two products came out nearly simultaneously. And the classic mig vs sabre match up too. It almost like horizon and hobbico planned it that way. It is a good thing both companies have liberal return policies. If you bought a sabre and decided you want a mig I bet you could return your sabre for a full refund. Of you might be able to sell it to one of the other folks on the thread still waiting for theirs.

cheers
Dave s
semeraro is offline Find More Posts by semeraro
Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:10 PM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,196 Posts
What Great Planes should do is not post the expected delivery date anymore. Give a general delivery date, and they get here when they get here. It makes me sick to read what some of the so called modelers have written in this thread. You would think some of the people posting here, are at the most 10 years old. Just another example of whats happening to our society as a whole these days. Gimme Gimme Gimme, mine mine mine, me me me. I have also noticed that HH has quit posting the arrival date by each of their models on their site. Smart move on their part. Shame that we have to be treated like a bunch of children, because of the immaturity of some.
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:17 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg View Post
After all Liviona Bob's bitching and screaming I am glad he received his model first so we don't have to continue to hear his negativity. I'll continue to be positive and patiently wait for my order to be processed like all the other adults around here!
Seriously---Sounds an awfull lot like you're looking down your nose at him...I'm glad you're positive and "patiently" waiting for your plane...I, as well as others, expect people to do what they say they are going to do and DO IT!!!...You and others have been sucked into the trap of empty promises and missed deadlines...

I will buy the Sabre when it finally arrives but I don't appreciate GP hyping this plane up to have only a handfull show up...What do we have???---Three confirmed delivered planes in this thread???...When you finally become a doctor certified in your field I hope that you don't treat your patients with such disrespect...

You are a BRILLIANT person with a great future ahead of you...Your modeling skills alone are heads and shoulders above most of the rest...Please don't ruin it by looking down on someone else...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:37 PM
Just some guy
Joined Aug 2006
662 Posts
...signing out....
D Johnson is offline Find More Posts by D Johnson
Last edited by D Johnson; Feb 13, 2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:44 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,184 Posts
You know, Bob might end up becoming the best ambassador for the model for all we know! Now that would be good Karma.

He's already made a recommendation on providing wheel space in the foam of the box so we don't have to remove the LG each time we pack it away.

Post piccies of the foam mod if you have them Bob. I'm sure every one of us will be doing the same mod!
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged