Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 12, 2013, 10:30 PM
Low rates are for wimps
bwoollia's Avatar
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by striker01 View Post
Hey guys how is this kit for a beginner? I want something that is more or less ready out of the box and not too hard to fly as in- I wont destroy it first time out. Your thoughts?
Seeing as this is your first post - if you've never flown before this is a very bad choice. I know it's not as sexy, but a proper trainer or an easier to fly micro like the Champ or the Playmate are a much better choice. Even though this one is quite repairable, the foam will be worn out from crashing before you have any success with it.

This is the bad news that is explained all over this forum - you have to learn to fly before you fly the more challenging models!
bwoollia is online now Find More Posts by bwoollia
RCG Plus Member
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2013, 10:33 PM
Registered User
brittcrowell's Avatar
Wetumpka, Alabama
Joined Sep 2005
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtcat09 View Post
Definitely not a beginner plane. Maybe as a first jet, but not as a trainer.
yea, its fast, 2nd ... not a beginner plane
however if you have the sim time and can fly / land it, you may be ok.
i can barley fly a sim heli, but i can fly my real heli just fine.
Mind the CG if your a beginner.
brittcrowell is offline Find More Posts by brittcrowell
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 10:33 PM
I can put anything here?
sgtcat09's Avatar
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Aug 2009
560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittcrowell View Post
Only time mine flew off in flight was when I hit a power line.
Its popped off quite a few times on hard landings in the grass though.
Front magnet on mine, the foam around it including the magnet got torn off, glue didnt hold for too long. Rubber band is holding it fine now.
sgtcat09 is offline Find More Posts by sgtcat09
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 08:36 AM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2013
16 Posts
That's too bad I really like the look of this and the fact that its out of the box ready is a plus. No, i've never flown before, just rc cars thats it.
striker01 is offline Find More Posts by striker01
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 11:36 AM
"Unappreciative tosser"
eltreato's Avatar
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
550 Posts
This thing is a handful. There's a lot going on with EDFs that make them more challenging than prop driven planes, especially at takeoff and landing. I'd been flying fixed wing for about a year before I got my Sabre, I'm glad I had the practice. I've had it for a year now and it's amazingly still going strong despite me still having the occassional crash. Prior to the Sabre I learned to fly on a Parkzone micro T-28, it's a great trainer, it's 4-channel and aerobatic capable. I would recommend starting with something like that along with a cheap sim and USB transmitter.

Good luck!
eltreato is online now Find More Posts by eltreato
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:23 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2013
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltreato View Post
This thing is a handful. There's a lot going on with EDFs that make them more challenging than prop driven planes, especially at takeoff and landing. I'd been flying fixed wing for about a year before I got my Sabre, I'm glad I had the practice. I've had it for a year now and it's amazingly still going strong despite me still having the occassional crash. Prior to the Sabre I learned to fly on a Parkzone micro T-28, it's a great trainer, it's 4-channel and aerobatic capable. I would recommend starting with something like that along with a cheap sim and USB transmitter.

Good luck!
I'll do some research on the t28 you mentioned. I just want something to learn to fly on, but really dont wanna step into a prop if i dont have to. Is the T28 all ready to go out of the box?
striker01 is offline Find More Posts by striker01
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:36 PM
"Unappreciative tosser"
eltreato's Avatar
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
550 Posts
It sure is, you can pick it up BNF or RTF (with a little controller) for the same price of $99, it's strange they don't charge more for the controller. Just charge the battery, check the center of gravity, and you're ready to get going. The steerable nose gear on this plane is a really nice feature too. There's a T-28 thread in the Micro RTF section full of useful information.

All the best!
eltreato is online now Find More Posts by eltreato
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 01:07 PM
Registered User
CorvetteC5's Avatar
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltreato View Post
It sure is, you can pick it up BNF or RTF (with a little controller) for the same price of $99, it's strange they don't charge more for the controller. Just charge the battery, check the center of gravity, and you're ready to get going. The steerable nose gear on this plane is a really nice feature too. There's a T-28 thread in the Micro RTF section full of useful information.

All the best!
Nix the RTF UM T-28. They sold out of those in 2011 or 2012 at the latest. Only BNF available now. Even so it is a good trainer and I bought one for a young friend last Christmas as his first aileron ship.
CorvetteC5 is offline Find More Posts by CorvetteC5
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 01:29 PM
I can put anything here?
sgtcat09's Avatar
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Aug 2009
560 Posts
Alright, got my OrangeRx in the mail today (R415), threw it in and binded it to my dx5e, charging up my 5 packs and gonna see what happens. Fingers crossed that the range problem goes away.
sgtcat09 is offline Find More Posts by sgtcat09
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 01:30 PM
I can put anything here?
sgtcat09's Avatar
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Aug 2009
560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by striker01 View Post
I'll do some research on the t28 you mentioned. I just want something to learn to fly on, but really dont wanna step into a prop if i dont have to. Is the T28 all ready to go out of the box?
T-28 would make a good AILERON trainer, but you really should start out with a cub or champ or something along those lines unless you have a bunch of sim time. I started with a Parkzone corsair after hours and hours of sim time and it worked out fine, so sim time+t-28= you should be fine. I wouldnt jump right into a t28 though.
sgtcat09 is offline Find More Posts by sgtcat09
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 01:38 PM
"Unappreciative tosser"
eltreato's Avatar
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvetteC5 View Post
Nix the RTF UM T-28. They sold out of those in 2011 or 2012 at the latest. Only BNF available now. Even so it is a good trainer and I bought one for a young friend last Christmas as his first aileron ship.
You're totally right, it's a shame, the RTF was a great starter package.

Back on topic, my Sabre has it's birthday in a few days it's pretty unreal in my mind it's still going. My spare is gathering dust. Over the last year I've done the following:

-Nosed in a few times, heated it and straightened it out - mostly
-Snapped off dime size pieces of the wingtip by the trailing edge after a flip on landing
-Ripped the right wing off entirely
-Sheered most of the left wing off
-Broke the vertical stabilizer a couple times on landing
-sucked dirt through the intake when I bumped full throttle while it was sitting on the grass

And that's just all I can remember. Most of the carnage was caused by takeoffs and landings before I got the hang of them. Despite everything, it's still going strong and flies as well or better than new.
eltreato is online now Find More Posts by eltreato
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 02:05 PM
Registered User
deltapilot's Avatar
United States, KY, Highland Heights
Joined Dec 2012
48 Posts
For those of you running this sabre on 3s are you ising the stock esc,, or will a 10 amp be big enough to replace the stock esc with
deltapilot is offline Find More Posts by deltapilot
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 05:05 PM
Registered User
Flint, Michigan
Joined Aug 2008
727 Posts
Agree on the take offs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltreato View Post
You're totally right, it's a shame, the RTF was a great starter package.

Back on topic, my Sabre has it's birthday in a few days it's pretty unreal in my mind it's still going. My spare is gathering dust. Over the last year I've done the following:

-Nosed in a few times, heated it and straightened it out - mostly
-Snapped off dime size pieces of the wingtip by the trailing edge after a flip on landing
-Ripped the right wing off entirely
-Sheered most of the left wing off
-Broke the vertical stabilizer a couple times on landing
-sucked dirt through the intake when I bumped full throttle while it was sitting on the grass

And that's just all I can remember. Most of the carnage was caused by takeoffs and landings before I got the hang of them. Despite everything, it's still going strong and flies as well or better than new.
I bought 3 of thes when they were on sale with a free Any Link. Never had a problem while flying, always damage done on the take off! Our field is grass so a hand launch is always needed. I never was good at throwing darts but you realy have to nail the hand toss at just the right trajectory(sp?). Many times if I do not get the "perfect hand launch", she ground loops and bam. Gonna put the other two I have still in the box up for sale on here when summer gets here...

Nice flyer thought once airborne!!
aviator24 is offline Find More Posts by aviator24
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 07:15 PM
Fly Freely, Fly Responsibly
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Jan 2010
727 Posts
I got this little guy for Christmas and haven't posted since Jan. or so. I'd been feeling a little "guilty" about not putting mine in the air. Assembled and did a run-up...pleasantly surprised that it's the "rev 2" or "1.5" with the metal rods and updated LiPo and such!

I got side-tracked by a PZ Icon A5 that I have about 6 flights on now. I snapped the tail on it on flight 4, by a "furtive aborted go-around" (indecisive landing).
It's back together now and flying fine.

My point is that I "renewed" my ClearView R/C sim software, and it has the GP F-86. I'm glad I waited, before putting it in the air!
I last between 10 seconds and 1.5 minutes - not even to the end of a pack, before I lose orientation, or otherwise take a dirt nap with it, in the sim!

I have 6 other planes, and crash rarely - been flying, maybe, 3 years now...
All this to say, if you can - get some sim time in on it - or pick another plane, for now, if you don't feel your skills are up to it. I thought mine were, but my sim "excursions" have been humbling, to say the least!

When I can routinely keep it in the air, do inverted passes, transition from low speed to high speed with no altitude changes for at least 2 packs equivalent time in the air on one flight, and land it within 10 feet, regularly, I'll be "there."

This'll be important, because mine is the RTF version, and I won't have the luxury of the expo, rates and other advantages of my regular Tx. I'm also determined to use the gear. Just honest stick n' rudder!

I'll probably spend 2-4 weeks of fairly nightly practice...

I'm no stranger to repairing my 'frames, but I get more joy out of flyin' than crashin' and repairin'!
WhirlyBits is offline Find More Posts by WhirlyBits
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 02:33 AM
"Unappreciative tosser"
eltreato's Avatar
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhirlyBits View Post
My point is that I "renewed" my ClearView R/C sim software, and it has the GP F-86. I'm glad I waited, before putting it in the air!
I last between 10 seconds and 1.5 minutes - not even to the end of a pack, before I lose orientation, or otherwise take a dirt nap with it, in the sim!
Can you tell me more about the GP Sabre for ClearView? Was this a third-party model? I just ran the update and there's no mention of it on their website.

Thanks!
eltreato is online now Find More Posts by eltreato
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Sabre Jet F86 30mm EDF by Great Planes..TX-Ready (TX-R)..or RTF Version 15'' WS modfly Micro Ready-to-Fly 151 Dec 20, 2012 08:20 PM
Sold Eflite F-86 Sabre BNF EDF Jet NEVER FLOWN ready to fly!!!! thutt3430 Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 1 Apr 17, 2011 10:34 PM