HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:51 PM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadLemon View Post
I have not been on this thread in a while so this problem I had may have been talked about so if it has I'm sorry about the duplicate post.

Yesterday the Weather was good enough to get a couple of flights in with my F-86 at a local park. I even took off with the F-86 sliding on the snow.

While at work today I was walking between buildings and put my hand in my pocket and found I put a battery in my pocket. I got a phone call on my cell while I was talking the battery started to get hot in my hand. I open my hand and quickly noticed the positive lead was stuck into the back of the negative lead of the balance plug! This created a dead short as you all know it would, I know this happen while I had the battery in my hand because it wasn't hot when I pulled the battery out of my pocket.

I know "I'm Stupid" it wasn't very smart to put the battery in my pocket in the first place so I'm very lucky the battery didn't short in my coat pocket while hung up in the closet. I'll said it again I'm Lucky for being stupid! I could be homeless right now or even worse I could of lost my family. I will never do this again I'm thinking a fix for this could be to make a protection cover for the micro dean connector or even change the connector to a JST female or something else. So I would like to know if others have foreseen this and what changes did you do.

Lastly I want to be clear on this matter I'm not blaming the manufacturer this was clearly my fault.
You're not the first one to post having had this problem. I don't trust these battery leads at all. My stock battery puffed during it's second stint on the charger, at that point I just made a UMX adapter and have been using those batteries ever since, they are much safer IMHO. Glad to hear your situation wasn't worse.
eltreato is offline Find More Posts by eltreato
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:06 PM
Just having fun before I die!
DeKalb,IL
Joined Dec 2008
901 Posts
giuseppi

I was thinking the same thing as well. and I thing the easest is to put a cover over the micro dean connector.

thanks

eltreato

That's what I thought I'm sure it had to happen before. Also I like your River Raid avatar that was one of my favorite Atari games I played back when I was a snot nosed jockey!. It was funny that you could fly over water and not over land!

Thanks
BadLemon is online now Find More Posts by BadLemon
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:11 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,760 Posts
look at electrical wire nuts........their is a correct size that fits perfectly over the micro dean and makes a perfect safety cover......thats what we are using
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:30 PM
Wetumpka, Alabama
Joined Sep 2005
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppi View Post
I'm glad everything turned out ok for you.
One thing that should have been done by LiPo makers is to have the + and - posts on the connectors switched. Have the + lead on the battery be the female instead of the male. In your case had those being switched neg would have been to neg and no problem.
[/IMG]
Had the positive pin try to dead short to a seat bolt in my car a few weeks ago while still hooked up to the charger when I was moving it around in the floor board. Shorted back through the ground system in the car.

I also had the same thing happen as the previous poster but it was from a loose batt floating around in my box. Looks like I got lucky too. It even melted a bit of the JST connector.

Seems the negative pin exposed on the batt would still be the prudent thing to do.
brittcrowell is offline Find More Posts by brittcrowell
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:13 PM
United States, ID, Spirit Lake
Joined Mar 2012
5 Posts
Deans Direct short Solution

This has worked well for me. It's a perfect fit and pretty cheap really to make.

1. Cut the solder points off the back of a spare deans plug with side cutters and then file flat.

2. Place a drop of your favorite glue on the back side to cover the filed off points.

Picture's worth a 1000 words though....
jasonleefreeman is offline Find More Posts by jasonleefreeman
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:23 AM
United States, TN, Decatur
Joined Dec 2005
66 Posts
My stock e-flite batt., that came with GP f86, had a little black piece of heat shrink on the micro deans that is re-usable, out of the box. I still use it.
dwayne loveday is offline Find More Posts by dwayne loveday
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:26 AM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,044 Posts
I had my battery eject during a negative push out at EFest, I drew A BATTERY PLATE that glues around the battery and has a forward tongue that keys into the fuselage in the nose area and then is just long enough to fit in front of the foam lip in front of the RX. I'm having these laser cut. No more depending on the canopy yo hold the battery in place.

I also glue a piece of 1/64th ply into the exhaust to give a little down thrust works great!
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:54 AM
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
758 Posts
Robert,
Please post a picture of the plywood down thrust change. Might help my F86 as well.
CorvetteC5 is offline Find More Posts by CorvetteC5
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:37 AM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
Joined Dec 2000
6,044 Posts
Thrust Plate photos

Simple effective mod
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:00 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Belluomini View Post
Simple effective mod
I don't doubt for a minute that this is a good mod.....but I don't really understand it.

What is the condition that this is intended to correct?

And, why is this better than simply using elevator trim?

Not trying to be snarky or critical here; just my lack of understanding.

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:38 AM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
Joined Dec 2000
6,044 Posts
Glad you asked! The Sabre tends to nose up under power at slow airspeed.
This trim plate keeps the nose down avoiding the Sabre Dance
It makes the Sabre fly better at low and high airspeed.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:51 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,177 Posts
Good to know!

My first instinct would have been to dial-in a little down elevator, plus a throttle-to-elevator mix to bring the elevator back closer to neutral as speed increases.

But I'm over my head, and out of my league......especially since I don't even have this Sabre and I know of its Dance only by word-of-mouth!

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:07 AM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
I don't doubt for a minute that this is a good mod.....but I don't really understand it.

What is the condition that this is intended to correct?

And, why is this better than simply using elevator trim?

Not trying to be snarky or critical here; just my lack of understanding.

Pretty clever mod if you ask me.
eltreato is offline Find More Posts by eltreato
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:24 PM
florida
Joined Nov 2002
172 Posts
AH HA ! Stationary Thrust vectoring.
flightdeck is online now Find More Posts by flightdeck
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:12 PM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
My first instinct would have been to dial-in a little down elevator, plus a throttle-to-elevator mix to bring the elevator back closer to neutral as speed increases.)

Problem with that is - elevator authority approaches zero at lower airspeeds.
bwoollia is offline Find More Posts by bwoollia
RCG Plus Member