HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:52 PM
Wetumpka, Alabama
Joined Sep 2005
60 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I've got some thin foam safe CA guess its time to get some medium and some kicker.
Thanks for the hot water trick too.
Add in a little AL tape and some simulated rivet dimples and I may be back in the air by this weekend.

As a side note, over the holidays I flew it in CO at my in-laws at 6500ft, normally I'm at 200ish. As expected it was a little mushy compared to 200 but it still fun to fly and got on pretty good. But landing in the snow was not as nice as expected, due to the nose trying to get a mouth full of the white stuff.

Britt
brittcrowell is offline Find More Posts by brittcrowell
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:27 PM
Chad deQuevedo of Olyphant, PA
United States, PA, Olyphant
Joined Aug 2012
617 Posts
Almost got my first flight, now how do I fix this...

OK, I finally took the F-86 out yesterday. I tried a hand launch and tanked it breaking off the right wing and tail wing close to the body and splintering off part of the canopy. Yeah, it was bad. Thanks to the miracle of foam safe CA, it was back together 15 minutes after I got home. Two things I need help with/advice on.

1. The right tail cracked by the body and bent in 2 other places. I used CA and tape but it doesn't feel as stiff as the undamaged side. Should I reinforce it with something?

2. When I glued and taped the right main wing back together I did not reattach the wire/rod that comes out of the body and attaches to the "pulley" that controls the flap. I tried a few times to get that little sucker back into the hole, buy I couldn't. Can someone tell me how to do it?
Micubano is offline Find More Posts by Micubano
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:31 PM
MikeMT
United States, Mt, Billings
Joined Jan 2012
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairplane View Post
So I ended up purchasing the Umx Mig as well! Parkfllyersplastics has a nose protector and wing tip kit for the mig for $4. so I inquired if they were going to produce a kit for the sabre as well. Here is the reply
"Just waiting for somebody to volunteer a fuselage to tool from.
The mig was returned to the owner with no signs that I used it and he got
three sets of parts for his involvement.
If you know somebody let them know.

Sparky"

Since I'm from Canada its not feasible to send him my bird, but maybe someone in his town could lend him theirs-get some sets for free-his username here on Rcgroups is sparks from Fort Worth, TX USA

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=3087
I messaged him last week and sent my extra f86 off today to be fitted with nose and wing protectors.

Not sure how long it will be until they are available but they are coming in the near future.

Thanks for looking into this and putting the word out about the opportunity.
nacho2059 is offline Find More Posts by nacho2059
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:02 PM
Southern California
Joined Apr 2007
820 Posts
Luckily I have two Sabres. Was flying number one and I guess I didn't do a good enough job gluing the wing after the last crash, it snapped midflight. So instead of trying to save it, I'm gonna experiment. What I have so far.
mckolit is offline Find More Posts by mckolit
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:12 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,025 Posts
I got another Sabre in as I couldn't resist the $59 deal...This makes #3...This one is going to be 3S powered...I have some new 180mAh 3S NanoTechs to try...They only weigh 19 grams...I also have a 3S 240mAh Hyperion to try as well...

Learning from Sabres #1 and #2 I'm going to modify/strengthen the horizontal stabs as per the HH MiG 15 with carbon fiber...The horizontal stabs on this little guy are very weak---And the only way to get a new one is to order the entire wing assembly...

It sure would be nice if GP would offer the stabs as a separate part but also offer the nose cone as a separate part as well...The only way to get a nose cone is to order the entire fuselage...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:32 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,367 Posts
I just got one and flew it the other day...exhilarating..how do you keep the canopy from coming off..? I Velcroed the battery into the battery compartment, but after a few nose dives, the canopy flys off....any suggestions.
Jake8131 is offline Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:00 PM
Southern California
Joined Apr 2007
820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
I just got one and flew it the other day...exhilarating..how do you keep the canopy from coming off..? I Velcroed the battery into the battery compartment, but after a few nose dives, the canopy flys off....any suggestions.
I just use a rubber band to secure the canopy.
mckolit is offline Find More Posts by mckolit
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:42 PM
Wetumpka, Alabama
Joined Sep 2005
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
I'd guess that your hook and loop securing of the battery may be leaving some air space between the magnets of the canopy/fuse.
I've never had my canopy come loose in flight, even from 400-500ft dives, but med/hard landings and power lines are a different story.

Britt
brittcrowell is offline Find More Posts by brittcrowell
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:09 AM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,445 Posts
Flew mine today after replacing the stock receiver with the HK micro one and binding to my DX8. Very nice! I upped the aileron throws, but I could still use some more.

I tried to slow it down below the power curve - very interesting. It slowed down nicely - slower than the threshold of elevator authority! I couldn't put the nose down. I gave it full throttle and it slowly accelerated until the elevators could lower the nose again - I was worried it wouldn't have enough "oomph" to get past the hump on the lift/drag curve but eventually the elevators kicked in and the nose dropped. Great fun!

Canopy held on in full throttle dives and a hard landing in the snow, the battery was loose in the compartment.
bwoollia is offline Find More Posts by bwoollia
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:31 AM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Aug 2006
686 Posts
Thats great news! and I'd like to thank you as well. We are deep in winter here so I am sure Sparky will have them available well before I get to try flying the Sabre. From what I can see on the Mig these nose protectors will be a great tool in keeping our planes looking and flying well! I actually purchased the nose protector kit for the mig before I actually bought the plane. I was just reading the thread, came across the protector and that made my mind up to purchase the Mig!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacho2059 View Post
I messaged him last week and sent my extra f86 off today to be fitted with nose and wing protectors.

Not sure how long it will be until they are available but they are coming in the near future.

Thanks for looking into this and putting the word out about the opportunity.
fairplane is offline Find More Posts by fairplane
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:34 AM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Aug 2006
686 Posts
Kevin- can you post a pic and what you'll use to modify/strenghten your horizontal stab please and thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
I got another Sabre in as I couldn't resist the $59 deal...This makes #3...This one is going to be 3S powered...I have some new 180mAh 3S NanoTechs to try...They only weigh 19 grams...I also have a 3S 240mAh Hyperion to try as well...

Learning from Sabres #1 and #2 I'm going to modify/strengthen the horizontal stabs as per the HH MiG 15 with carbon fiber...The horizontal stabs on this little guy are very weak---And the only way to get a new one is to order the entire wing assembly...

It sure would be nice if GP would offer the stabs as a separate part but also offer the nose cone as a separate part as well...The only way to get a nose cone is to order the entire fuselage...

Kevin
fairplane is offline Find More Posts by fairplane
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:12 AM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairplane View Post
Kevin- can you post a pic and what you'll use to modify/strenghten your horizontal stab please and thanks!
I haven't done the mod to my Sabre yet---But you can get up to speed by reading the HH MiG 15 Mod Thread...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1668461

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:42 AM
Addicted
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2011
1,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micubano View Post
1. The right tail cracked by the body and bent in 2 other places. I used CA and tape but it doesn't feel as stiff as the undamaged side. Should I reinforce it with something?
Buy some thin carbon fibre rod or flat and CA on the bottom of both horizontal stabs. Push and glue it into the fuse a bit to reinforce it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micubano
When I glued and taped the right main wing back together I did not reattach the wire/rod that comes out of the body and attaches to the "pulley" that controls the flap. I tried a few times to get that little sucker back into the hole, buy I couldn't. Can someone tell me how to do it?
Friendly advice, don't take this the wrong way: It will help you to learn the correct terminology of these planes so questions can be answered correctly.

The "pulley" is called a bellcrank. The "flap" is an aileron. The Sabre does not have flaps. The "body" is the fuselage.

The bellcrank rod will need to be fixed before flying again. It should have a z-bend on it. Is the hole on the grey plastic bellcrank damaged?
Sixinarow is online now Find More Posts by Sixinarow
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:35 AM
Chad deQuevedo of Olyphant, PA
United States, PA, Olyphant
Joined Aug 2012
617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixinarow View Post
Buy some thin carbon fibre rod or flat and CA on the bottom of both horizontal stabs. Push and glue it into the fuse a bit to reinforce it.

Friendly advice, don't take this the wrong way: It will help you to learn the correct terminology of these planes so questions can be answered correctly.

The "pulley" is called a bellcrank. The "flap" is an aileron. The Sabre does not have flaps. The "body" is the fuselage.

The bellcrank rod will need to be fixed before flying again. It should have a z-bend on it. Is the hole on the grey plastic bellcrank damaged?
OK, so I can CA glue rods to the foam. Good to know.

Thanks for helping me with the terminology. Never had a jet or plane before a few weeks ago. My bellcrank is fully intact and the rod does have the Z at the end. I looked around for videos and instructions on how to get the rod back into the bellcrank, but came up empty. What is the recommended way for getting the rod back into the bellcrank?
Micubano is offline Find More Posts by Micubano
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:34 PM
Addicted
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2011
1,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micubano View Post
OK, so I can CA glue rods to the foam. Good to know.

Thanks for helping me with the terminology. Never had a jet or plane before a few weeks ago. My bellcrank is fully intact and the rod does have the Z at the end. I looked around for videos and instructions on how to get the rod back into the bellcrank, but came up empty. What is the recommended way for getting the rod back into the bellcrank?
Make sure to use foam-safe CA! Don't ask me how I know

I'll look at my Sabre when I get home but I think if the rod is not going in you may have to drill out the crank a bit.
Sixinarow is online now Find More Posts by Sixinarow