HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:18 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
I've popped the ail servo horn off too. Slice a little work area out of the foam and put it back on.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:48 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
I, too, thought that I popped the aileron linkage off of the horn--"Surgery" revealed that the pin on the aileron control rod broke...I fixed that with new linkage...And then another time the ailerons wouldn't work---Turned out to be a stripped servo...Replaced the servo with an aftermarket one on hand and all was well...I did have to modify the servo mounting area as the stock servos are oddly shaped with the servo motor protruding from the end of the servo case...

I have another Sabre that has some minor nose damage as well as another on the way from Wholesale Trains...For $59 I couldn't pass up getting a couple more...For a couple of days Wholesale Trains still had the Sabre for $59---$58 if you were a club member...I ordered one a couple of days ago...I checked today and the special $59 price is gone....

I've learned a few things having owned 3 of these...They are fragile as compared to the HH MiG...The tail surfaces need to have carbon reenforcements similar to the HH MiG...And this Sabre can haul around a keychain camera without too much effort!!!...Even with the CG correct if you don't launch the plane level or slightly downward you will get the "Sabre Dance"...I'm thinking that the undercambered airfoil is to blame...I plan on modifying my dinged up Sabre with either a flat bottom airfoil or a semi/fully symetrical airfoil using 2mm Depron...

My MiG is now my "go to" plane for windy days with the GP Sabre flown on less windy days...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:25 PM
Southern California
Joined Apr 2007
820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
I, too, thought that I popped the aileron linkage off of the horn--"Surgery" revealed that the pin on the aileron control rod broke...I fixed that with new linkage...And then another time the ailerons wouldn't work---Turned out to be a stripped servo...Replaced the servo with an aftermarket one on hand and all was well...I did have to modify the servo mounting area as the stock servos are oddly shaped with the servo motor protruding from the end of the servo case...

I have another Sabre that has some minor nose damage as well as another on the way from Wholesale Trains...For $59 I couldn't pass up getting a couple more...For a couple of days Wholesale Trains still had the Sabre for $59---$58 if you were a club member...I ordered one a couple of days ago...I checked today and the special $59 price is gone....

I've learned a few things having owned 3 of these...They are fragile as compared to the HH MiG...The tail surfaces need to have carbon reenforcements similar to the HH MiG...And this Sabre can haul around a keychain camera without too much effort!!!...Even with the CG correct if you don't launch the plane level or slightly downward you will get the "Sabre Dance"...I'm thinking that the undercambered airfoil is to blame...I plan on modifying my dinged up Sabre with either a flat bottom airfoil or a semi/fully symetrical airfoil using 2mm Depron...

My MiG is now my "go to" plane for windy days with the GP Sabre flown on less windy days...

Kevin
You need to get that flat bottomed wing going!

And the tab broke on the control horn. At least the servo's not stripped, I already had a hard enough time getting this "access hatch" opened up.
mckolit is online now Find More Posts by mckolit
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:59 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckolit View Post
You need to get that flat bottomed wing going!

And the tab broke on the control horn. At least the servo's not stripped, I already had a hard enough time getting this "access hatch" opened up.
Yep!!!...Just like one of the ones I mentioned in my previous post....

I have the Depron cut to fit to the wing---Just waiting on getting the time to get the mod done...My two boys (ages 7 & 11) require quite a bit of time between school projects and basketball!!!...I'm almost 51 years old---Old enough to be their grand daddy......But they keep me young...

How do you plan on fixing your problem---New parts???---That was the only solution I could come up with when mine broke like yours......

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:04 PM
Southern California
Joined Apr 2007
820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
Yep!!!...Just like one of the ones I mentioned in my previous post....

I have the Depron cut to fit to the wing---Just waiting on getting the time to get the mod done...My two boys (ages 7 & 11) require quite a bit of time between school projects and basketball!!!...I'm almost 51 years old---Old enough to be their grand daddy......But they keep me young...

How do you plan on fixing your problem---New parts???---That was the only solution I could come up with when mine broke like yours......

Kevin
I will first try to somehow glue a tab on. Right now I'm thinking about melting a small channel on top of the plastic bit and glue a cut down pin in the channel. Will see how well that works.

What I came up with.

Will see how it holds up next time I get to fly.
Last edited by mckolit; Jan 12, 2013 at 11:19 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:03 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
If it lets go - make an L shaped pin so you can use cotton to tie it(the long section) along one of the rods to help make it stronger and keep it in place. Soak it in CA.

NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:26 PM
Southern California
Joined Apr 2007
820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
If it lets go - make an L shaped pin so you can use cotton to tie it(the long section) along one of the rods to help make it stronger and keep it in place. Soak it in CA.
Thanks, I'll try that if/when my repair lets go. I put three packs through it today and so far it's holding up. Too bad I can't say the same thing about the nose which cracked and had a chunk fall off after a couple hard landings.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:05 PM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Aug 2006
684 Posts
So I went to setup my Sabre to check it out today and I can;t get the anylink to power up with my DX7. I leave my radio off and plug it in and nothing- I think the cable must be defective. It works fine on my Futaba 8FG so the module is good. Am i missing anything??? Not that it matters much because I am going to install the HK micro receiver. I just wanted to make sure everything works before I remove the receiver. and on a second note when I first activated the ailerons I found that one of the horns was torn away from the foam. Hows great planes warranty these days? What kind of DX7 radio settings are you guys using? Anything special? Waiting for spring-Fairplane
fairplane is offline Find More Posts by fairplane
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:03 PM
Wetumpka, Alabama
Joined Sep 2005
60 Posts
Well I did a number on my F-86 today. Short story is I hit a power pole guy wire after recovering from a stall. Got 50-60 flights on it so $1 a flight aint bad I guess compared to my old nitro heli days.
I'm new to this foam thing. So I'm not sure where to start fixing it. So i guess the question is, is it fixable without replacing the whole wing? Any links to foam repair guides would be helpful as any this is what I would dos. What glue to use, type of tape, ect.

Thanks
Britt
brittcrowell is offline Find More Posts by brittcrowell
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:38 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,220 Posts
You guys are having way too much fun !!
cyclops2 is online now Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:43 PM
bluefield va.
Joined Sep 2009
319 Posts
Found problem YIPPY YEAH!!!!!
grasschopper is offline Find More Posts by grasschopper
Last edited by grasschopper; Jan 13, 2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:51 PM
Southern California
Joined Apr 2007
820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittcrowell View Post
Well I did a number on my F-86 today. Short story is I hit a power pole guy wire after recovering from a stall. Got 50-60 flights on it so $1 a flight aint bad I guess compared to my old nitro heli days.
I'm new to this foam thing. So I'm not sure where to start fixing it. So i guess the question is, is it fixable without replacing the whole wing? Any links to foam repair guides would be helpful as any this is what I would dos. What glue to use, type of tape, ect.

Thanks
Britt
Foam safe ca will take care of that. Use kicker to help it set quickly. Just be careful not to glue the aileron onto the wing.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:51 PM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Aug 2006
684 Posts
Just get some foam safe medium CA and some accelerator. Check your fit of parts first to get everything aligned. Then just glue it and accelerator. blow on the accelerator to evaporate it quickly. In most cases you can hardly see the repairs. Thats the great thing about foam!

Quote:

Thanks
Britt
fairplane is offline Find More Posts by fairplane
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:37 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2006
506 Posts
Quote:

Thanks
Britt
Very fixable. Any parts that are scrunched/deformed,,, immerse in hot, NOT boiling water and they will "rebound". Make sure they are dry and glue the pieces back together. You can use foam safe CA or UHU creative glue for foam, or "Foam Tac" by Beacon Adhesives.

It will fly again!
trroadster is offline Find More Posts by trroadster
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:37 AM
bps
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Apr 2001
859 Posts
I also use Beacon Fabric Tac available from fabric stores and craft stores. RC canopy glue works very well to.
bps is offline Find More Posts by bps