SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:46 PM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
567 Posts
I just came back from the park with my Sabre. I forgot how much fun this thing is. If anyone is watching this thread and is on the fence about getting one of these, go for it, especially at the blowout price. This thing is unreal!
eltreato is offline Find More Posts by eltreato
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:04 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
Did you arm it? It requires you go to full let it beep then back to 0 let it beep and then it is armed
oh...no I didn't do that. let me see if it works by doing this.

EDIT: Yep it worked! Thanks! But DANG this thing is LOUD!!!!! I'm not sure if I will be able to use this at my school field since its so loud. I'll probably have to take it to the club field....hopefully it isn't louder than the gassers and glows at the field!
electricrc68 is offline Find More Posts by electricrc68
Last edited by electricrc68; Dec 29, 2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:29 AM
Santa Barbara/Roseville, California
Joined Dec 2001
306 Posts
Maidened mine today. Love it. ROG is fantastic, landings need to be stalled and flared at the end or it bounces thre e times. I too had the throttle.cut momentarly at about the 100foot mark away from me. I think it could.be a.dead.spot from.the antenna or does GP have a solution for this. I do not want to have a throttle issue if it is a warranty issu that could cause my plane fall from the sky... Any thoughts. Also, is it better to have the brake set on the fan for this little.guy?

Thanks,
Mike
mike93 is offline Find More Posts by mike93
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:29 PM
Joined May 2011
4,411 Posts
anyone have any good D/R and expo settings that will tame down this little EDF?
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:01 PM
Santa Barbara/Roseville, California
Joined Dec 2001
306 Posts
Hey, I dialed in close to %30 and had dual rates, but ended up not using them. In fact I felt that I could use more aileron authority, but I was getting servo buzz from max travel. I did put a tiney little "nut" in front of the battery to make it nose heavy. It flies great, however rolls are sloppy and I think i could remove the nut to get it more docile. I did velcro the battery to the front of the fuse so that it does not slide. I like the idea of filling in the little space infront of the battery under the magnet that holds the canopy on. Go with a ROG for the first flight, more predictable.

Good luck,
Mike

p.s. keep your throws gentle and level or slightly down like they all say on this forum. I tossed it too hard and it was out of control and nose into the ground. Thank goodness for all of the rain that made the grass muddy and did not real damage.
mike93 is offline Find More Posts by mike93
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:04 PM
Joined May 2011
4,411 Posts
Ah okay cool thanks!
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:55 PM
in the beginning...
United States, MO, De Soto
Joined Mar 2012
475 Posts
ok, so i have one of these little things now too and am looking for some motivation to fly it lol. Its my first fast plane and edf. I picture me getting it in the air, turning left, it goes inverted and i nose it in...i'm not a big expo fan, so is 30% still where i need to be for maiden flying?

i wasnt planning on using the landing gear, but reading it looks like maybe i should? I can fly micro's with my eyes closed now, but this just seems like a whole new level of flying...am i just hyping myself up to much or is it not as bad as it looks on youtube?
thanks
boats
bm2thirsty is offline Find More Posts by bm2thirsty
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:09 AM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
965 Posts
bm2, just fly it! They are on sale everywhere. You have a P-51 in your avatar if you can fly that you can fly this. Tape a penny under the canopy and give it a level toss and you will be ok. It's actually more sturdy than the mig and can take quite a bit of abuse. Bring lots of tape for repairs and have fun.
Good Luck.

ps. keep your speed up till you know how it handles.
MUTCAKE is offline Find More Posts by MUTCAKE
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:35 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,360 Posts
Well glad i didn't have much money into mine, it cut out on me in a banked turn and dropped the plane onto the wing. Fuse is a little crunched, completely tore off the vertical stab, and broke the right wing into three pieces.
shadow102 is offline Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:54 PM
Philippines, NCR, Manila
Joined Oct 2007
142 Posts
Has anyone tried using the AS3X brick for this plane? Im planning to use the one that came from my damaged sbach..still mourning from it
mikeramos is offline Find More Posts by mikeramos
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:29 PM
in the beginning...
United States, MO, De Soto
Joined Mar 2012
475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTCAKE View Post
bm2, just fly it! They are on sale everywhere. You have a P-51 in your avatar if you can fly that you can fly this. Tape a penny under the canopy and give it a level toss and you will be ok. It's actually more sturdy than the mig and can take quite a bit of abuse. Bring lots of tape for repairs and have fun.
Good Luck.

ps. keep your speed up till you know how it handles.
thanks for that, ya my p-51 is my favorite plane. I guess i need to suck it up and fly it then...just dont know what to expect speed wise...
thanks
boats
bm2thirsty is offline Find More Posts by bm2thirsty
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:25 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,025 Posts
Blow out price is over---But I called to straighten out a credit with Tower and the sales rep was kind enough to give me a heads up on a hidden code to get the $59.95 price with AnyLink...AnyLink is backordered until at least mid January...My invoice doesn't show the code but I may have it on an invoice that I have at work...

I absolutely HATE how this plane flies inverted...It's REALLY bad as compared to the HH MiG 15...I'm going to convert my new Sabre to a symetrical airfoil with 1mm Depron...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:44 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,025 Posts
Woohoo!!!...I got my Sabre in today...Had a brief scare as the outer shipping box had a tear in it...I opened the box and the stock container/case had a tear in it as well......Upon opening the container the Sabre wasn't harmed!!!...Whew!!!......

I learned a few things from my first Sabre...One of the things I learned is that the decals are fragile and will come off quite easily when handled, especially if your hands are sweaty on a hot day...So---The first thing that I did was to seal the decals with a few LIGHT coats of Krylon Flat Crystal Clear spray...This flat clear will not harm the foam with light coats...I tested this flat clear spray on a piece of my old Sabre and even with a moderate coat the foam wasn't harmed...But to be safe and to keep the plane light apply light coats...Another couple of positives with the flat clear is that the plane has a more realistic looking finish---And the flat finish allows for easier weathering with colored chalks...The chalk more readily adheres and is easier to apply over a flat finish than on the stock semi-gloss finish...

Another thing that I learned is that with the stock undercambered airfoil this plane is sensitive as to how it's launched...(Sabre dance)...Also, this plane doesn't fly inverted very well as it needs a ton of down elevator for level flight...Turning the Sabre while inverted requires a very uncomfortable amount of down elevator---So much that you just about have to have full stick deflection in a bank...As previously mentioned many times this model needs a slight downward toss to keep the model from doing the Sabre dance...I'm going to experiment with the airfoil...I have some 1mm Depron and I plan on modifying the stock airfoil...I haven't completely decided on what airfoil to use...I could go from a flat Clark "Y" airfoil, semi-symetrical, or a symetrical airfoil...The HH MiG 15 has a flat Clark "Y" style airfoil and I'm happy with the flight performance of this plane...The MiG also requires some down elevator when inverted but not nearly the amount that the GP Sabre requires...It's a compromise---An undercambered airfoil allows for better slow flight capability, such as for indoor flights...Since I'll never fly this plane indoors this is a moot point for me...I fly outdoors and I'm into aerobatics...So, a modified airfoil will be better for me...VERY slow flight will suffer some with a modified airfoil but I can't imagine the Sabre with a modified airfoil/wing would be much different in slow flight that the HH MiG...

As with the HH MiG 15 the tail feathers are rather fragile/delicate...I plan on modifying the horizontal stab with some carbon fiber rod stock...

Lastly, for now anyway, I will seal the hinge line gaps with clear tape on the bottom of the control surfaces...The gaps are significant on the ailerons and as I learned with Sabre #1 when you seal the gaps the control surfaces become more effective...Though I won't apply tape on the rudder as the rudder has a pretty tight gap and the tape would ruin the looks of the plane...

I'm going to maiden mine tomorrow!!!........

Kevin
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:37 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,025 Posts
Powered up the Sabre this afternoon...The fan has waaaay more vibration at full throttle than the first one I had...So much vibration that if this plane had AS3X the servos would be going nuts...I'm going to have to go back in this thread to see how to cut out the fan from the bottom while making the least amount of damage...If others have had this much vibration then this would explain why some complain about the noise...My first one was much more quiet than this one...

Kevin
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:10 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,025 Posts
I checked the control surface throws on my new plane---This one is MUCH better than the first one I had...The first one I had the elevators didn't move in unison...One had more travel than the other, causing the plane to roll when elevator was applied...With my new Sabre the elevators not only move in unison but they are very solid feeling as well...No slop at all---The pushrods on this one must be secured better inside of the plane...The rudder also exhibits the same stiffness and moves equally well in both directions...My first Sabre both the elevators and rudder were spongy feeling...If the fan was balanced I would be a 100% satisfied customer with the quality of this second Sabre...It's really no big deal to cut open the bottom of the fuselage to get the fan out...Just stick a needle into the fuselage to locate the fan both fore and aft, then cut the foam with a sharp Exacto knife...

Kevin