HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:21 AM
Little Rock, AR
Joined Nov 2005
258 Posts
I think all these are tricky to launch, but I think the reason that the CG seems to be different for some is the amount of hot glue used around the esc and tail servos. It is very liberally applied (and they sit on double sided tape). Maybe not a dime's worth though..
tware is offline Find More Posts by tware
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:32 PM
The Biscuit is optional
United States, GA, Bulloch
Joined Nov 2012
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swilson50 View Post
Cathead (and others)
Don't give up.

Thermals,
Swilson50
aka Stan in Dodge City
Definitely not giving up. My last line says "Having a blast!!" The few minutes I have been able to cruise this puppy around have been worth every bit of glue and sub-structure I have put into it.

Not giving up!

C
Cathead is offline Find More Posts by Cathead
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:56 PM
Only flies cheap
Florida
Joined Jan 2007
169 Posts
I had a few flights on a UM Trojan before crunching the nose, and I've flown assorted larger 4ch planes with somewhat limited success, but when I saw these for $60 on Black Friday I couldn't help it.

Before maiden I decided to set my CoG, and so I used my Harbor Freight helping hands soldering stand. I marked the bottom of the plane at 74mm, and then I shaped the helping hands into something like a field goal post, and tried to figure the balance point. In order to get it really close, I ended up shoving a nickel into the area in front of the battery, which required digging out a little foam with a small screwdriver.

As nervous as I was, the maiden went beautifully, right up until we were asked to leave the golf course. The second flight at the tee-ball field wasn't so great as my buddy chucked the plane up at something like a 45-degree angle, and I'm sure you can picture what happened next. Luckily the foam wasn't too badly crushed, and with no further repairs, the F86 had a second flight as fun and cool-looking as the first. Belly landings were easy and gentle on the grass both times.

When I brought it home, I mashed a little UHU Por into the small cracks in front of the battery bay that were created by the botched launch. I noticed the nickel had scooted about 3mm farther forward than I originally set it, but since it must've been this way for the second flight, I reckon that's not a problem.

I agree with the other posters, the Deans plugs suck. Also I think I may have noticed a momentary motor glitch while flying at the greatest distance. I will be sure to adjust my antenna on my next flight.

Overall this jet is so cool, I loved it. I wish the foam were tougher and the battery compartment had more room, and the battery connector wasn't deans (or so short), but it is still super fun to fly. My setup looked like it was on rails in the sky, with plenty of agility for zooming around like I wanted to. I think the F86 is at the limit of my skills, given my limited flying space, but I am really glad I got it.
sv650touring is offline Find More Posts by sv650touring
Old Dec 07, 2012, 01:34 AM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
567 Posts
Awesome writeup, I especially like the part about being asked to leave the golf course. You must have your hands full coming from the t-28. Don't forget that hot water is your friend for sorting out the nose.
eltreato is offline Find More Posts by eltreato
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:32 AM
bps
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Apr 2001
859 Posts
Nice flight report. The weather here cooperated and I was able to get some flights in yesterday. First off I flew my Banana Hobbies 30mm F86. This is a great flying jet once one gets it sorted out. 3 cell 325 and it scoots along nicely!

Next up the GP F86. Using the GP 2s 250. CG was dead on. The jet flew out of my hand launch with just a gentle push forward at slightly nose up. One click of down trim and a wide left turn, plenty of speed, although a noticibly slower than the BH F86. As already mentioned above, slow flight with nose up and or turns and a snap is on the way. Best bet is to put the nose down and add power before level or climbing flight.

For my money this is a nice micro jet for around $59, not so much for the normal $139.00. I do plan on changing out the Tactic receiver for a micro 4 channel.
bps is offline Find More Posts by bps
Old Dec 07, 2012, 01:09 PM
Only flies cheap
Florida
Joined Jan 2007
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltreato View Post
Awesome writeup, I especially like the part about being asked to leave the golf course. You must have your hands full coming from the t-28. Don't forget that hot water is your friend for sorting out the nose.
Thanks. I was pretty comfortable with the Trojan - that is to say I could normally belly land it without much drama. I'm usually flying 3ch high-wings, but I wanted to show everyone that this plane isn't some kind of widowmaker. If you have enough room to fly, with proper CoG (or even a bit forward), even a barely intermediate pilot can fly this plane. The method for launching an EDF is the major skill to learn, and it is dead easy with a tiny plane like this - just get up to speed quickly and don't throw it at a steep angle.

The nose isn't so deformed that you can really tell. I think the plastic cowl spread the force of impact a bit, and that really helped.The only thing obviously affected is the smooth contour of the "chin." The paint is now crinkly, and I think if I hit it with hot water, I'd risk it coming off.
sv650touring is offline Find More Posts by sv650touring
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:56 PM
Dyess AFB
Joined Apr 2009
697 Posts
maidened my "black friday special" today as well. maiden went great, seems a bit faster than my UMX Mig-15 but louder as well. On my second flight I experienced two of the motor cut out issues, each for a split second but that was enough for me to land and call it a day. Has anyone found out what exactly causes the motor cut out issue?
Matt Howard is offline Find More Posts by Matt Howard
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:46 AM
Joined Nov 2011
20 Posts
I have been reading this post for a while. I just got mine a week or two ago. I have not flown it yet. It has the same buzzing noise that was mentioned earlier in the post. Nitro charged had responded but did not say anything else. The control surfaces do not twitch but it has the noise no matter what. The hobby store I bought it from ($59.99) said his does the same. I called GP and after trying to convince me that it was ok they said that I can send it in for them to check or fly it and if it crashes from servo twitch then I would need to send it in so they can determine if that was the problem. Obviously after it crashes I would be screwed but I don't know if I should send it in now or just fly it. Thanks for any suppoert.
stefan zakaib is offline Find More Posts by stefan zakaib
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:11 AM
Chad deQuevedo of Olyphant, PA
United States, PA, Olyphant
Joined Aug 2012
613 Posts
I am hoping for some good weather next week so I can finally try this jet. I have the whole week off and I plan on a lot of flying. After reading the posts here I have added foam safe CA and activator to my field box.
Micubano is offline Find More Posts by Micubano
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Optim 80 CP Review
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:49 PM
United States, UT, Farmington
Joined Oct 2012
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan zakaib View Post
I have been reading this post for a while. I just got mine a week or two ago. I have not flown it yet. It has the same buzzing noise that was mentioned earlier in the post. Nitro charged had responded but did not say anything else. The control surfaces do not twitch but it has the noise no matter what. The hobby store I bought it from ($59.99) said his does the same. I called GP and after trying to convince me that it was ok they said that I can send it in for them to check or fly it and if it crashes from servo twitch then I would need to send it in so they can determine if that was the problem. Obviously after it crashes I would be screwed but I don't know if I should send it in now or just fly it. Thanks for any suppoert.
I have the same sound coming from the Sabre I bought for my son. The plane flew just fine. I have a couple of Parkzone UMs that do the same thing. As long as the control surfaces are not twitching, fly it.

Heed the advise on CG. I added a small pebble up front, just to be safe and it flew great. No issues at all (except for the crack I rolled over on landing that tore the front landing gear off). You may want to add a bit of CA around the edges of the landing gear attachment points to make certain this does not happen to you. Upon investigation, it appeared there was very little adhesive used to attach the nose wheel mount.
jon.moab is offline Find More Posts by jon.moab
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:10 PM
United States, FL, Winter Park
Joined Aug 2011
211 Posts
Got the two Sabers I ordered today. Perfect condition and very happy with the overall finish of this little jet! Can't wait to maiden tomorrow!

Wind is up today from the morning to now so I guess I'll try tomorrow.
Primate is offline Find More Posts by Primate
Last edited by Primate; Dec 20, 2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:53 PM
florida
Joined Nov 2002
180 Posts
Has anyone put the wing fences on ? I saw one poster and not sure if it helps.
flightdeck is offline Find More Posts by flightdeck
Old Dec 21, 2012, 05:22 PM
Southern California
Joined Apr 2007
820 Posts
I was looking at gp's sabre page and there was a link to setting the brake on the esc. Has anyone tried it with the brakes on? I know having breaks on regular propped planes helps with gliding. Would it help on an edf?
mckolit is online now Find More Posts by mckolit
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:12 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,408 Posts
Hey guys. So I seem to have a problem with my F86. Everything works fine EXCEPT for the throttle. The throttle wont even respond at all!!! It worked for about 3 seconds yesterday, and then today it won't work at all. Anyone know what could be wrong?
electricrc68 is online now Find More Posts by electricrc68
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:14 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,357 Posts
Did you arm it? It requires you go to full let it beep then back to 0 let it beep and then it is armed
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102