HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:12 PM
USA, CA, Westlake Village
Joined Sep 2004
1,801 Posts
Successfully maidened my F-86 today! Power was a bit weak imho, but manageable. I'm using stock lipos. I have to say it looks really NEAT flying through the sky though!

I did have some disconcerting issues with the AnyLink I think... At a certain distance away from me, the motor would intermittently cut out. I couldn't tell if I was also losing servo control because it was pretty far away, but the intermittent motor cut-out was highly noticeable. Thought maybe I was hitting LVC, but all batteries were fully charged and all exhibited this behavior a little bit.

Is the range on the AnyLink not that good? I did not have this motor cut out issue if I flew in closer... I honestly don't think I was flying it "too far" away when I had the motor cut out issue though...

One note of caution and a reason I HATE these battery connectors. I bought 4 of the stock lipos and put them in my pocket when going to the field. My pocket began to get WARM and I instantly knew to take the lipos out quick! On one of the lipos, the Deans connector had pushed itself into the back end of the balance connector and started to short out the battery. The lipo got real hot and I put it on the cement to cool down. I'm recharging now so we'll see if this is toast or not...

Pete
lovespicyfood is offline Find More Posts by lovespicyfood
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:14 PM
Joined Sep 2004
1,801 Posts
Forgot to add, I read somewhere that you need to make sure you flair just before touchdown (on grass). DEFINITELY agree with this one! That big mouth digs into the grass and you'll tumble the plane easily if you don't flare. Fortunately for me, no damage when I didn't flare for landing...
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:27 PM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespicyfood View Post
Successfully maidened my F-86 today! Power was a bit weak imho, but manageable. I'm using stock lipos. I have to say it looks really NEAT flying through the sky though!

I did have some disconcerting issues with the AnyLink I think... At a certain distance away from me, the motor would intermittently cut out. I couldn't tell if I was also losing servo control because it was pretty far away, but the intermittent motor cut-out was highly noticeable. Thought maybe I was hitting LVC, but all batteries were fully charged and all exhibited this behavior a little bit.

Is the range on the AnyLink not that good? I did not have this motor cut out issue if I flew in closer... I honestly don't think I was flying it "too far" away when I had the motor cut out issue though...

One note of caution and a reason I HATE these battery connectors. I bought 4 of the stock lipos and put them in my pocket when going to the field. My pocket began to get WARM and I instantly knew to take the lipos out quick! On one of the lipos, the Deans connector had pushed itself into the back end of the balance connector and started to short out the battery. The lipo got real hot and I put it on the cement to cool down. I'm recharging now so we'll see if this is toast or not...

Pete
I haven't had any range issues with my AnyLink, I typically don't let it get more than a football field away from me though. The micro deans plugs are a bad idea, downright dangerous as you found out. I went with a UMX plug adapter that stays with the plane and use the batteries from my deceased Beast. That must've sucked the batteries short like that in your pocket.

Happy flying!
eltreato is offline Find More Posts by eltreato
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:34 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,318 Posts
According to tower the problem with my f86 sounds like a receiver board so they are sending me a new one. The servo glitching went away after i cycled the servos a bunch but as i was flying it the other day just trying it out the motor cut out on me once and then i lost all control completely about 50ft away, it came back just enough for me to land it almost in a harrier and it only damaged the tail some. So for now i will just be waiting for the reciever board.
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:53 PM
Never stop
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Joined Jan 2010
747 Posts
Quote:

Pete
I have the same motor cutting out issue. It happens when the plane is about 100 feet away from me. I played around with the position of the antenna on the TX and it helped the issue.
Left_Drift is offline Find More Posts by Left_Drift
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:03 PM
The Biscuit is optional
United States, GA, Bulloch
Joined Nov 2012
37 Posts
Well, I've flown her twice now.

Flight #1

During the first flight, someone planted a tree and threw some miracle grow at the base of it and the dang thing sprouted up and grew directly into my flight path. OK, the tree has been there longer than I've been alive. The Sabre was stuck in the tree and after some daring attempts with a rather large stick to remove the plane, it finally came tumbling down. Damage was drastic. Right wing and left horizontal stab completely torn off of the aircraft. Repairs were made that night and another flight was attempted the following day.

Flight #2

I was a little apprehensive due to my repairs. I tried to keep everything as square and symmetrical as possible. Gave her a toss in the air and away she went! Couple clicks of down trim and she flew beautiful! Flew for 3 or 4 minutes and brought her in for my first purposed landing. Landed kinda hard on the nose, (didnt flare properly), and the left wing broke off. Dag gone it!! Have not made the repairs yet.

Flying, crashing, repairing, flying and crashing some more. Having a blast!!
Cathead is offline Find More Posts by Cathead
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:16 PM
Dodge City, Kansas
Joined Oct 2003
1,048 Posts
Cathead don't give up

Cathead (and others)
Don't give up. I've only had mine about 3 weeks and I really squashed the nose on my first two flights. I learned the Sabre Dance and learned that this plane likes speed in those two learning episodes.

My nose now looks like plastic surgery gone bad and both wings fly with crutches (carbon fiber leading edge). I have to tape the front of the canopy on because the tiny piecewith a magnet went sailing somewhere when the battery ejected forward.

But, Iike learning helicopters, I said "this machine is not going to beat me". I've flown prop micros for years, but this my first ducted fan.

Remember, it will tip stall at slow speed and it's real bad about tucking the nose down when you turn (especially low and slow turns). So, keep the speed up and the alitutde up. IT'S WORTH IT

I've now flown it 5 or 6 times with success. There's nothing as satisfying as hearing that jet (actually a pissed off bumblebee) go screaming by. I'm so addicted that I bought several more when Tower put them on sale for $60.

Thermals,
Swilson50
aka Stan in Dodge City
Swilson50 is online now Find More Posts by Swilson50
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:24 PM
Addicted
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2011
1,097 Posts
My maiden went great! My second flight, this afternoon, sucked. I don't know how but I managed to loop it right on takeoff and crunched the nose and ripped off the left stab. I reshaped the nose, glued up stab and rechecked the CG. We will see tomoorrow!
Sixinarow is offline Find More Posts by Sixinarow
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:45 PM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
560 Posts
it's great seeing all these new flight reports. This plane is a bit humbling at first, but does get easier with practice. I've sheared off both wingtips, ripped off one wing entirely and munched the nose multiple times and chopped off the vert stabilizer while learning to launch and land and it is amazing to me how well it has gone back together. It looks as good as new twenty feet away at 40mph!
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:57 PM
Little Rock, AR
Joined Nov 2005
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left_Drift View Post
I have the same motor cutting out issue. It happens when the plane is about 100 feet away from me. I played around with the position of the antenna on the TX and it helped the issue.

Most of the damage on my first F-86 was due to this cutting out issue. Putting in the Orange r415 was the only cure that solved it 100%. Took all of 5 mins to swap
tware is offline Find More Posts by tware
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:09 AM
Joined Sep 2004
1,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tware View Post
Most of the damage on my first F-86 was due to this cutting out issue. Putting in the Orange r415 was the only cure that solved it 100%. Took all of 5 mins to swap
Ugh...seems the cutting out issue isn't just me... I really hate changing out things when it should work decent out of the box... Fortunately, I haven't lost control of the model yet so perhaps its an antenna routing issue as mentioned by Left_Drift. It does seem the antenna is routed under where I put the lipo so I think I'll try to bend it back away towards the tail.

One things for sure, I'm not going to fly low when I'm far away until this is resolved. I will report back my results!

Pete
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:12 AM
Joined Sep 2004
1,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixinarow View Post
My maiden went great! My second flight, this afternoon, sucked. I don't know how but I managed to loop it right on takeoff and crunched the nose and ripped off the left stab. I reshaped the nose, glued up stab and rechecked the CG. We will see tomoorrow!
I almost did the same thing on one launch today! Not sure what I did but it went straight up, almost stalled, and then fell back over headed towards the ground. I was able to rotate her over and fly out of what initially looked like a ground loop.

Made me more careful on subsequent launches!

Pete
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:15 AM
Joined Sep 2004
1,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltreato View Post
The micro deans plugs are a bad idea, downright dangerous as you found out. I went with a UMX plug adapter that stays with the plane and use the batteries from my deceased Beast. That must've sucked the batteries short like that in your pocket.

Happy flying!
TOTALLY AGREE with you in regards to the Micro Deans! I've never used them before and now I know why! I hate doing all the soldering to change plugs but I think I might eventually have to do this...I can't risk catching things on fire and now I don't trust them...
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:11 AM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
560 Posts
Quote:
I almost did the same thing on one launch today! Not sure what I did but it went straight up, almost stalled, and then fell back over headed towards the ground. I was able to rotate her over and fly out of what initially looked like a ground loop.

Made me more careful on subsequent launches!

Pete
This was a very common problem when the Sabre first came out. It is because it is tail heavy. The first release of Sabres came with only a 200mah battery, I'm told the tail heaviness is less pronounced with the new stock 250mah, but it's still likely your problem. Make sure your battery is full forward in the compartment and velcroed in so it won't slide back. Also make sure your CG is where it's supposed to be as per the manual (I can't remember if there was a user revised manual with a better c of g) Anyways, I marked Sharpie dots in the centres of the indented circles on the bottom of my Sabre, these are my CG and they work great. When I fly with my 180mah batteries I stick a quarter with velcro on either side underneath 'em. Since sorting out my CG and giving a good solid dart toss with full throttle I haven't had any loops on takeoff. There was definitely a pucker factor moment when it would stall, hover for a second (EDF 3D) then flip and begin a lawn dart descent. Believe it or not launching becomes effortless once you've sorted out the balance issue.

PS I also infilled the area in the cockpit where the pilot's legs would go with a slice of foam from the box, this toughens up this part of the fuselage in front of the canopy in the event the battery slams forwards in a crash.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:33 AM
Joined Sep 2004
1,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltreato View Post
This was a very common problem when the Sabre first came out. It is because it is tail heavy. The first release of Sabres came with only a 200mah battery, I'm told the tail heaviness is less pronounced with the new stock 250mah, but it's still likely your problem. Make sure your battery is full forward in the compartment and velcroed in so it won't slide back. Also make sure your CG is where it's supposed to be as per the manual (I can't remember if there was a user revised manual with a better c of g) Anyways, I marked Sharpie dots in the centres of the indented circles on the bottom of my Sabre, these are my CG and they work great. When I fly with my 180mah batteries I stick a quarter with velcro on either side underneath 'em. Since sorting out my CG and giving a good solid dart toss with full throttle I haven't had any loops on takeoff. There was definitely a pucker factor moment when it would stall, hover for a second (EDF 3D) then flip and begin a lawn dart descent. Believe it or not launching becomes effortless once you've sorted out the balance issue.

PS I also infilled the area in the cockpit where the pilot's legs would go with a slice of foam from the box, this toughens up this part of the fuselage in front of the canopy in the event the battery slams forwards in a crash.
Appreciate the feedback! I am using the 250s but now I will Velcro them in. Will also check the CG.

I think that is a good analogy, giving it a good dart toss! I think my bad launch was at too severe of an angle which would exacerbate an aft CG...