SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:42 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
941 Posts
The great thing about micro's is they can fly in smaller spaces and replicate the flight envelope of their larger counterparts. Up until now we have not seen a manufacturer offer a micro edf with this kind of performance. We were all wowed when the Parkzone Sukhoi came out. There was a buzz on the micro indoor forum that reverberated through all of RCGroups. This little plane is no different! It is what we all would expect from a good company like Great Planes! I don't care what the thrust to weight ratio is if the plane has the kind of performance the F-86 does! I can fly this through all the basic maneuvers in a JET LIKE manner! That's what I'm talking about! I think everyone has the same level of excitement for this as with the sukhoi! And no this is not a HH plane, but then it dosen't have to be! If Great Planes gets this jet out WITHOUT DELAY! It will be a smashing success! Product shipment delay dates are what kill HH everytime! They have great cs, and good products but the delays are killer, and I know they know this! Good Luck you guys at Great Planes on your product launch! Don't let the post counts fool you. We'll all buy the mig......later. After we've flown the F-86 for about 3 months!
MUTCAKE is offline Find More Posts by MUTCAKE
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2012, 01:54 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
I'm interested in the static thrust to use the fan for other models, same with the competition. The only other quality fans are the ones that a couple of the guys are making through Shapeways. Everything before lacked in proper motor mounting options so I'm interested to see what a large company like Great Planes can produce as I think it will be a good power plant for custom builds.

The product delays never seem to slow Horizon down, look at how fast the micro scene has grown with the introduction of these mass market aircraft. Kind of surprised it took so long for other companies to get in on the action with the licenses that they had for larger planes. Thankfully now that we have receiver/servo bricks from several places the competition can only help us consumers. Same goes with this EDF race, the race is now on who will bring out the next model and when and with what other ground breaking features.

Now all that said, what would it take to put a small airplane gyro into this F-86?

As far as post counts, there are basically two types of customers, those that wait for the product to get excited, and those that don't. I could compare one company's followers to a tech company's followers as I see the same trend. I think talk will pick up when the planes are in people's hands and we'll have less useless posts to sift through.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Jan 27, 2012, 05:07 PM
Manhattan, Kansas, United States
Joined Oct 2001
3,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by village_idiot View Post
Now all that said, what would it take to put a small airplane gyro into this F-86?
I've noticed more than a few mentions about gyros lately in a few of the more frequented micro EDF threads. I know what gyros are for, but what exactly do you want it for? These planes are statical stable, so its not like we need this just to fly...do you just basically like the filter between your input and the plane and vise versa?

-Mike
KSU Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KSU Flyer
Old Jan 27, 2012, 05:17 PM
Joined Oct 2007
376 Posts
the benefit with these micro planes/edf's is that due to the nature of its size and weight, wind can create havoc with the flight characteristics. With the gyro stabilization, it keeps the plane flying in the intended directions, and only the input from the sticks is what changes the course of the plane.
jayxer is offline Find More Posts by jayxer
Old Jan 27, 2012, 06:47 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
941 Posts
I also love the idea of having a gyro in all the micros. What a game changer it will be as far as flying smaller micros with better wind penetation/handling. Great idea. VI you are right about thrust on these units of course . I too want a fan to use in other planes, and I'm sure others will push these to the limits. I just want to encourage/applaud Great Planes for giving us one more option to choose from.
Keith
MUTCAKE is offline Find More Posts by MUTCAKE
Old Jan 27, 2012, 07:07 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
A gyro would also help with Dutch Roll that is common with swept wing planes like this...Which you would notice in higher winds...Where can we buy a micro piezo gyro???

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Jan 27, 2012, 07:44 PM
Just some guy
Joined Aug 2006
662 Posts
Try it before judging the need for a gyro, check out the flight report from Arizona electric.
D Johnson is offline Find More Posts by D Johnson
Old Jan 27, 2012, 08:51 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Dave are these babies still on track?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
Dieter88 any update on when these will be shipping to retailers? It is getting close!
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Jan 27, 2012, 09:00 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
Dave are these babies still on track?
No news is bad news..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Jan 27, 2012, 09:06 PM
Just some guy
Joined Aug 2006
662 Posts
there is no bad news. Again, see your LHS real soon or you'll miiss out on the first shipment!
D Johnson is offline Find More Posts by D Johnson
Old Jan 27, 2012, 09:09 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Jets are inherently better in the wind, I was wondering how valuable the gyro would be. Slow speed handling keeps being mentioned but when our how long are we going to be going slow. We have already seen it fly indoors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Johnson View Post
Try it before judging the need for a gyro, check out the flight report from Arizona electric.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 09:09 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Johnson View Post
there is no bad news. Again, see your LHS real soon or you'll miiss out on the first shipment!
I have it on order.. And it's the end of January already to me anyways... But thanks for the news that no news isn't bad news.....
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Jan 27, 2012, 09:10 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Great to hear, come on Tower!
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:15 PM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,508 Posts
This F-86 flies sweet! Dan L. was flying his today at AEF and it has some serious performance! Takes off from the ground with authority, loops and rolls are no problem and it handled the breeze extremely well! It also really has the F-86 silouette in the air. I have some inflight shots but am in the hotel room so will post them tomorrow. Btw, the fully ducted airframe looks so cool looking straight from the intake through to the tail.....very efficient looking!
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:23 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,745 Posts
Thanks Dwag for info

I can't wait to get my hands on this gem; although I might wait till spring to maiden
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29