11,181 Posts
The stock ESC can handle it!
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2012, 07:13 PM
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Sep 2011
4,083 Posts
are my 3s 460mah nanos going to be a bit big for this little bird? Any idea what kind of flight time to expect out of the 180mah 3s nanos? Just trying to work with what I got lol!

Or even these lol I have a few laying around.. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ehouse%5F.html
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by 3d astronaut; Aug 18, 2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 08:12 PM
Joined Apr 2012
95 Posts
Which 3S have people tried on the Sabre? Which 2S would produce the longest flight? Has anyone tried a 400Mah or above?
pghosh is offline Find More Posts by pghosh
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:10 AM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
The stock ESC can handle it!
Whoa there...hold up. You mean the stock ESC, motor, etc can handle a 3s battery?!?!?!?
electricrc68 is online now Find More Posts by electricrc68
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:52 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,181 Posts
Yes!
Great Planes 30mm Mico EDF Sabre on 3S. (5 min 1 sec)
Old Aug 19, 2012, 01:51 AM
Joined Sep 2011
4,083 Posts
forgot I sold my 3s 180s to a buddy so I bought a few more. <insert shameless buddy code here>
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by 3d astronaut; Aug 20, 2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:16 AM
Joined May 2011
4,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Sweet! What batteries are you using, and how did you fit em in there? (If you mentioned in the video, im sorry...my sound was muted). Now I am definitely getting one of these!!!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2012, 05:09 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,181 Posts
@0:27 secs - 180mah 3S lipo (hyperion). It just sits in the battery tray. It was a little tall so I had a small rubber band securing the canopy so it wouldn't pop off.

The ESC will LVC at just over 9 volts so it detects 3S.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 02:00 PM
Joined May 2011
4,397 Posts
Okay cool thanks! How long of a flight do you typically get?
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 20, 2012, 07:10 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,181 Posts
Not long. It's a small lipo and going to 3S sucks the juice.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:45 PM
Joined May 2011
4,397 Posts
Ah okay thanks. Guess i will have maybe one or two 3s lipos just for speed, (they're expensive anyway!) and then two or three 2s 250mah for flight time.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 22, 2012, 05:44 PM
Radioactive Flier
United States, IL, Plainfield
Joined Aug 2006
239 Posts
Just want to report that I flew my first ever RC airplane today, and it was the F-86! The first hand launch was pretty bad. Tossed it with too much positive attitude and it did a little flip and came crashing back down directly on it's nose. I almost cried but picked it back up and straightened out the nose a bit. Tore a little bit of the foam up but it looked pretty decent. Reconnected the battery and tried again. This time I nearly threw it straight into the ground but it leveled off quickly! Flew around for about 2 minutes and crash landed it into some crops! Canopy fell off again but had no ill effects on plane!

So I know some people will be outraged to here my first ever plane was a foamie, and a warbird foamie at that, but this little plan flies awesome! Can't wait to get back out there!
Raylon is offline Find More Posts by Raylon
Old Aug 22, 2012, 05:47 PM
savannah, GA
Joined Feb 2003
137 Posts
Sweet!! Not really recommended as a trainer but you did it!
lousyflyer is offline Find More Posts by lousyflyer
Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:54 PM
Joined Sep 2011
4,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raylon View Post
Just want to report that I flew my first ever RC airplane today, and it was the F-86! The first hand launch was pretty bad. Tossed it with too much positive attitude and it did a little flip and came crashing back down directly on it's nose. I almost cried but picked it back up and straightened out the nose a bit. Tore a little bit of the foam up but it looked pretty decent. Reconnected the battery and tried again. This time I nearly threw it straight into the ground but it leveled off quickly! Flew around for about 2 minutes and crash landed it into some crops! Canopy fell off again but had no ill effects on plane!

So I know some people will be outraged to here my first ever plane was a foamie, and a warbird foamie at that, but this little plan flies awesome! Can't wait to get back out there!
As long as you are enjoying it, thats all that matters If you start to get discouraged, put it up and grab another type of plane and use that for a bit then jump back on the f86. You should advance pretty quickly if you stay on this bird and get some simulator time. My buddy did the same thing and is pretty darn good, heck hes almost on the same level as most of us local guys and weve all been flying for 10+ years.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Aug 22, 2012, 07:01 PM
Radioactive Flier
United States, IL, Plainfield
Joined Aug 2006
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudflying View Post
As long as you are enjoying it, thats all that matters If you start to get discouraged, put it up and grab another type of plane and use that for a bit then jump back on the f86. You should advance pretty quickly if you stay on this bird and get some simulator time. My buddy did the same thing and is pretty darn good, heck hes almost on the same level as most of us local guys and weve all been flying for 10+ years.
Yep I bought the F-86 and Realflight G-6 at the same time. Spent about 5 days flying nothing but it on the simulator for about an hour a night. Decided today was the day to try the real thing. it flew amazingly similar to the model in G6. I was super afraid of stalling in the real world and came in a bit hot but the landing was still decent.

And I have owned different copies of RF though over the past 6 years and have built up tons of memory muscle, and can pretty much fly any plane in the game pretty well, so I don't consider myself a newbie really, but real world is definitely different.

My next step will be to buy a DX8 and get some of those great looking BNF from HH!
Raylon is offline Find More Posts by Raylon
Last edited by Raylon; Aug 22, 2012 at 07:10 PM.