HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:19 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin greene View Post
oooohhh......i can't stress this enough---if you don't feel comfortable doing this or you don't have the patience to stand there the entire time to monitor the charging---then don't try this!!!....

Kevin
This why kevin warns you to be careful.........
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:08 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post
This why kevin warns you to be careful.........
Yep!!!...If the cell is below 2 volts I usually don't bother trying to rejuvenate the cell---The internal resistance could be so high as to cause a fire even when using a low current to charge...This is why the chargers have factory defaults to not attempt to charge drastically low voltage cells...I've never had a fire using my method---Knock on wood!!!...The only time I had a fire was when I was stripping off the hear shrink covering from a pack...The Exacto knife slipped and I cut into one cell...I heard a distinct low volume sizzle and I IMMEDIATELY, without hesitation, RAN outside with the pack dangling by the battery cable...I threw the pack in the concrete driveway..The pack errupted into flames as it hit the concrete....WHEW!!!!....This was at night and the fire looked like a 4th of July firework with hot phosphor-like material spewing into the air for several feet around the pack...Once one of these packs go they WILL burn until the combustable material is consumed much like a magnesium fire...You can throw water on it as much as you like but the pack will laugh at it until the combustable material is consumed...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Apr 29, 2012, 03:47 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
At Hobby P_ _ _le when I worked there, customers would bring back lipos claiming they were bad. Since we could not resell them or ship them back, the youngens would set it up on a NiCd Charge, as high as the charger would allow, and quickly poke the battery with a screw driver and run. Terrible example of safety, but quite an eye opener to know what might happen to one's home or car if you are not careful.

I keep a bucket of sand nearby. Have not had to try it, but figure covering the flaming mess of a lipo fire with a fireproof sand coating should help a bit at least. Don't quote me on that because there is no guarentee it would work!

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Apr 29, 2012, 03:58 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post
At Hobby P_ _ _le when I worked there, customers would bring back lipos claiming they were bad. Since we could not resell them or ship them back, the youngens would set it up on a NiCd Charge, as high as the charger would allow, and quickly poke the battery with a screw driver and run. Terrible example of safety, but quite an eye opener to know what might happen to one's home or car if you are not careful.

I keep a bucket of sand nearby. Have not had to try it, but figure covering the flaming mess of a lipo fire with a fireproof sand coating should help a bit at least. Don't quote me on that because there is no guarentee it would work!

Fred
Dry sand in a pot with a lid to me is the best way to go.. Throw the burning battery in the pot put on the lid and run out of the house with it..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Apr 29, 2012, 05:07 PM
savannah, GA
Joined Feb 2003
137 Posts
I think the tail surfaces are going to be the weakest part of this model. I cartwheeled it and broke off the left horizontal stabilizer. The pushrod and control horn forced the elevator to shear off two of the hinges.

I glued the butt joint together and skinned the glue joint with scotch tape to get some stiffness back. Made a hinge with some flexible bandage tape.

Now it looks pre-owned.
lousyflyer is offline Find More Posts by lousyflyer
Old Apr 29, 2012, 06:36 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,189 Posts
..and so it begins.... lousyflyers Sabre demise....
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:15 PM
savannah, GA
Joined Feb 2003
137 Posts
And I dropped my new DX6i and broke the gear switch off!
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:20 PM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,392 Posts
:d:d:d
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:37 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lousyflyer View Post
And I dropped my new DX6i and broke the gear switch off!
rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:22 PM
savannah, GA
Joined Feb 2003
137 Posts
Fix the plane, fix the radio, fix the flat tire.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:44 PM
Kannapolis, NC
Joined Nov 2007
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
You do not have to buy the AnyLinkô unit to use your own Txer when you buy this jet!

As quoted by Dave Johnson: "it is free with the purchase of an airplane. The cords for most popular models are included."

So you get the AnyLinkô system when you buy the jet. It can be purchased separately though for $24.95.
I have a DX7S they gave me the Anylink but I had to purchase the other adapter for 14.95
dtacmed is offline Find More Posts by dtacmed
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:51 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,480 Posts
I believe that the free Anylink deal is no longer offered.
pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:55 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
I believe that the free Anylink deal is no longer offered.
ONE more day ends April 30, 2012
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Apr 29, 2012, 09:00 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
ONE more day ends April 30, 2012
Thanks, Bob....I stand corrected!

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Apr 29, 2012, 09:07 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,189 Posts
Sweet! So I'll list mine for sale tomorrow then(including a 4-channel 2.4GHz SLT™ micro receiver )?...
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged