SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by DJO, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 03:21 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,568 Posts
Discussion
My R/C History... It Changed My Life.

I got inspired to post up my R/C history by randall1959, who I just sold a Heli-Max TX to and got into a conversation about R/Cs and how he has 20 flyable aircraft and I have 1… at some point in life I want to be able to look back at where I started – and where I’m going – with R/C. R/C literally changed my life.

I really didn't want to play baseball that one year, 2011 it was, around April/May, I don't know the exact details. But, my dad and parents really did want me to play, because I was a decent player and the 2011 baseball season would be my last baseball season in Little League, and I didn't plan to move on to a higher level of playing baseball. After over 5 years of playing it, I'd honestly just gotten sick of it. But, like I said before, I really was being pushed into it by my parents, so they offered to bribe me.

Now, at this point, it had been nearly 3 years since I discovered the "real" R/C concept - and I wanted to begin R/C. Have you ever researched something for nearly 3 years? Especially R/Cs? I was going nuts I wanted to buy a Traxxas brushless R/C truck so bad! Well, my parents offered me a $400 limit to getting an R/C for me to start into the "real" R/C world, and, in return, I would play baseball for my last year. So, I agreed. I went out and bought a Traxxas E-Revo VXL brushless 1/16 R/C 2.4 GHz truck and was very excited! I even ended up charging batteries at home right before baseball practices and totally ripping up the baseball diamond(s) and the road that they had there. I even got a few grown-ups amazed at that 30-MPH red thing blazing down the road. A few kids even decided to race it... and failed, of course. Soon enough, I was known for that 1/16 E-Revo, and I got a different response from each kid.

"Hey, you're that Dan guy with the 50 MPH remote controlled toy, right?"

"Whoa, what the heck is that?"

"Does that thing run on gas?"

"Where did you get it?"

"Can I step on it?"

And, of course, the most annoying one of all:

"Can I drive it?"

LOL. Before all this happened, I actually joined the Traxxas Online R/C Community, and racked up nearly 2,500 posts in 4 months. The moderators didn't appreciate me. Well, I did post nearly 20 times per day, sometimes filling up an entire section of last posts being by me. Sigh... I love forums. Eventually, though, times got tough for me (and my R/C mini E-Revo). Every weekend my dad and I were heading out to the not-so-local hobby store, buying differentials, tires, and axle carriers... whatever had broken or worn down that week. Eventually it got insane, my parents spending $30 plus or minus a little bit each weekend. I had to sell my R/C truck, even though I was insane about it. Within the first month or so, I had already done a full rebuild. I enjoyed ripping that whole thing apart, cleaning every single part, putting grease on the differentials, then smashing it all back together to have it run even better than before. At one point I was taking videos on-board with an old, beat-up Kodak camera, which I currently still have. In fact, I actually wrote an FAQ for the E-Revo VXL...

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...L-s-1-16th-FAQ

So, like I was saying, I had to sell my R/C truck. I put it on the market for $175 or the highest offer. Of course, a moderator jumped in quickly and told me that there had to be a set price. So, I had him change it. I had about 5 offers for that truck, but I had no way for people to pay me. PayPal looked nice, so I asked my parents if they could create an account for me to use. They agreed, because it looked safe. Well, that backfired, and led my dad sitting down at my laptop at 9:00 PM trying to find his bank account and credit card numbers, and creating an online account for his bank account, too. It was all confusing… but I did end up getting the R/C truck sold! I honestly was getting a little frustrated with it myself after a while. I sold it for $175 with free shipping anywhere in the USA. Joe from New York grabbed my amazing deal and he paid with PayPal right away. Now it was time to ship it. I chose UPS, because the post office didn’t ship large packages like MY special one. So, have you ever shipped a 15-pound box to New York via UPS? My mom had to pay $25 for shipping. Wow, I had never expected it to be that much… just another way I got burned. Now, it was time for my next R/C.

I was able to buy another R/C with the money that I had made from selling my mini Traxxas E-Revo… and, of course, that backfired, too. I saw this awesome deal online for a Heli-Max AXE CPv3 that came with EVERYTHING that I needed to work it! Awesome! So, I bought it, and it arrived later on. I also bought a simulator, but that wasn’t there yet when the helicopter came to my house, and I knew that I couldn’t leave the Li-Po batteries long, and I didn’t have a discharger… so I tried to fly the helicopter with no experience at ALL.

Actually, now that I think about it, the first 3-5 flights went pretty well. But, at one point, the helicopter was up in the air, about 1 foot off the ground, and gust of wind took it, sending the blades smashing into the tar driveway, breaking a few parts (OK, a LOT of parts). So, I ordered some new parts… and tried to fix the helicopter. Well, that backfired AGAIN. I had no clue how to get the parts on, and ended up breaking MORE parts trying to FIX parts! EPIC FAIL!!!!! So, I decided to sell the helicopter – broken, and that really didn’t work out, because who wants a broken helicopter? LOL, so, after waiting 2+ months for somebody to give an offer on the helicopter, I ended up parting it out, and it actually worked pretty well, and I got about $80 out of the $175 back that I spent on it.

Now, I had Science Fair for my school coming up… and FPV really interested me because of Team Blacksheep and other various FPV videos. At the end, Team Blacksheep actually posted my report.

http://team-blacksheep.com/

But, my teacher wanted a working model, so I bought a 36’’ wingspan R/C Hobby King Skyfun brushless jet, 2200 mAH battery, some CA glue, and a Hobby King ECO 6-10 charger. And I bought a Radio Shack power supply. $150+ right there. And, you can guess what’s going to happen next. I TRIED TO FLY IT. I used my old Heli-Max radio that came with the Heli-Max AXE CPv3 Electric R/C Helicopter and tried to wire it up to work with my awesome new R/C jet. At this point, I was confident in flying it because I had practiced planes a LOT on the simulator that I bought to practice helicopters.

But, I couldn’t get the receiver to work… so I went back to that not-so-local hobby shop and they set it up for me. The guy there that I see all the time hooked up the battery, and BLAM the thing started spitting out Oh, Susanna in the most electronically created tone that you’ll even hear. Pure LOL, I bet that everybody in the store heard that. At my not-so-local hobby shop, I was now know as the kid with the “musical plane”. One guy commented:

“Somebody at the warehouse had WAY too much time on their hands while setting that ESC up.”

I couldn’t agree more. So, I went out to fly it at the local little league baseball field that I had once played on. Now, here’s where it gets confusing for me, my plane, and my simulator. I had always practiced on my simulator so that when I push the stick up on the radio, the plane goes UP. It seemed like common sense to me… but not for the LHS guy. He set it up opposite like how planes are SUPPOSED to be set up like. So, at full throttle, my dad chucked the thing in the air, and, BLAM it slams directly into the ground. That happened for the next 10 flights or so before I realized that something else must be wrong. So, I switched around the elevon’s RX slots so that it would be opposite so that I could fly it.

And… that messed up the airfoil, which resulted in more nose-dives at full throttle right off of launch. FAIL… eventually I learned on my simulator the CORRECT way of flying, and flew that way… and here’s how it went:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1554146

I was quite the dummy, I’m just saying, for not getting a trainer airplane instead to learn on. Well, that’s what happened this past Christmas. I got a DX6i, Tuff Trainer, and a few other miscellaneous R/C stuffs.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1565331

Now, observe where I am currently:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1569706

MUCH better than before, and much more fun and less stress, also.

This isn't even all of it, there's just some things that I couldn't add in, as this would be so much more long...

Dan
DJO is offline Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by DJO; Apr 28, 2013 at 07:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2012, 04:41 PM
<<x USMC
United States, CA, Burbank
Joined Jun 2010
673 Posts
Entertaining read during my lunch break today, thanks for sharing your experience!! now all you need to do is get yourself a youtube channel to post videos to much easier to view through their player when posting here.
r0beert0 is offline Find More Posts by r0beert0
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV + McLaren P1 = HELLA FUN
Old Jan 13, 2012, 04:52 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,568 Posts
Well, my mom is against YouTube... I think it's because it's too "public" of a place to put your face on, probably Vimeo once I'm old enough (birthday is in less than a month!).
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: WASP 280 Mini Quad
Old Jan 15, 2012, 08:56 AM
Mt Tamborine, Queensland, Australia
Joined May 2008
757 Posts
enjoyed reading your story. Maybe your mom would agree about posting on youtube if you agree not to include your face, only video your planes / helis?
tobermei is offline Find More Posts by tobermei
Old Jan 16, 2012, 08:33 AM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,568 Posts
I doubt it. I tried negotiating, but she doesn't like YouTube, in fact it was blocked by Family Safety until the past year or so on my brother and I's laptops.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:28 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,568 Posts
Love looking back at this and seeing how far I've come over the past year!

Dan
RCG Plus Member