Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 24, 2012, 10:03 AM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
Ron, just for info, the mix method works with the Spektrum (and HobbyKing Super Micro) bricks as well.

Note the small print however. Rudder trim stays on the original rudder channel. Had me fooled the first time when I was madly trying to trim out a turn tendency with the right hand trim and nothing happened.

That DX8 thread is a classic for the strongly opinionated and under-informed.

I had one guy on my ignore list and one day on the DX8 thread I had a whole scrollable screen with nothing but one line "This message is hidden because NAME is on your ignore list." messages. He must have posted about 30 opinions in a row!

It's what makes the forums fun but I have no idea how Andy Kunz puts up with most of it.
I have always used a aileron to rudder mix on all my 3 channel micros so I could use the rudder stick for ground handling on the gym floor. It was just a preference, not really needed.
I was just surprised to find that it was absolutely necessary to use the mix to make the AnyLink work, and there is nothing about needing it in the instructions.
I Have used mixes on most of my planes since it has became available, as a flying "aid". My first was a Futaba Super 7 around 1990. But I think this is the first system I have ever used that "REQUIRED" a mix to operate, even on a simple 3 channel aircraft, and there is not even a mention of it in the manual.
Oh well, the fun continues.
Andy must be a saint, I don't think I have seen anyone take the abuse he does and still comes back to help people. I sure hope he has not become the dead horse.
Thanks for the reply,
Ron
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2012, 02:12 PM
Canada, ON, Cochrane District
Joined Oct 2011
742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulio View Post
Would you post the required mods to do this? I can't find a thread describing it. Hope it is something that I can do. I don't care about cost really. Two things that are important to me are to run on the existing radio's power and to use only the original power switch, Is this possible?
http://9xforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=408
how to for 9x transmitters.
You keep your trainer port so you can Buddy box with it.

You keep the power switch, it turns on/off with transmitter power and you can still remove the anylink if you wish. It's about 15mins worth of work and you cannibalize only one servo lead for this project.
cr8tive_leo is online now Find More Posts by cr8tive_leo
Old Feb 24, 2012, 04:50 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,264 Posts
Ah, good point, thanks. I don't think I was very clear.

AFAIK you will require a mix whenever both conditions are met:

1) Channels cannot be re-assigned on the transmitter

AND

2) The mechanical function is locked to a particular channel (as on a brick where the servo is hard wired to a particular channel and cannot be changed).

The bricks are the only ones I have come across that cause this issue since the throttle and servos are hard wired to specific channels and you can't change them by swapping the plugs around.

One of my transmitters broadcasts throttle on 4 and rudder on 3 and another does it the other way round! It requires quite complex mixing with one to get throttle to work on a brick without the rudder stick affecting it.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek View Post
IBut I think this is the first system I have ever used that "REQUIRED" a mix to operate, even on a simple 3 channel aircraft, and there is not even a mention of it in the manual
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Feb 24, 2012, 08:28 PM
United States, IL, Manteno
Joined Dec 2006
666 Posts
Apparently my grey matter has slipped back into gear!

I was fiddling with mixes again last night and came up with the one shown below. I thought the second number would have to be negative since I want down elevator when the throttle is moved up. That is apparently not the case because this combination works.

I won't be able to try it until next Tuesday, and I'll probably have to adjust the values, but at least I know I'm on the right track.

I was starting to get worried. They say when you get old like me, the SECOND thing to go is the memory...

I can't remember the FIRST!

Don
Digital Don is online now Find More Posts by Digital Don
Last edited by Digital Don; Feb 24, 2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 08:40 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
Joined Aug 2007
4,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Don View Post
Apparently my grey matter has slipped back into gear!

I was fiddling with mixes again last night and found the one shown below. I thought the second number would have to be negative since I want down elevator when the throttle is moved up. That is apparently not the case because this combination works.

I won't be able to try it until next Tuesday, and I'll probably have to adjust the values, but at least I know I'm on the right track.

I was starting to get worried. They say when you get old like me, the SECOND thing to go is the memory...

I can't remember the FIRST!

Don
Don: Did the info you got from the fellow over at the DX8 thread help any?
Ron
Old Feb 24, 2012, 08:45 PM
Joined Dec 2006
666 Posts
Hi Ron,

One guy did reply, but with general information. I had already come up with the settings in my post above by the time I read it though.

I'll find out next week how it actually works in flight, but the general idea is correct.

Don
Last edited by Digital Don; Feb 24, 2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 08:09 PM
Joined Jun 2006
38 Posts
Has anyone tried their Anylink set-up with earlier generation Flyzone UMs? I was under the impression it was backwards compatible. However, a guy at Hobbytown USA told me some people that had tried were having range issues, so I decided to hold off. I've got a Dr1, two Albis and a Playmate and it would certainly be nice if it did.
Lucky Dog is offline Find More Posts by Lucky Dog
Old Feb 26, 2012, 08:48 PM
Madison Ms
Joined Aug 2002
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitysanimal View Post
I want one of these for my Hitec Optic6 but the cable won't be available until mid march. How hard would it be to make one up? I have a din plug from an old Futaba radio but have no idea what wires would have to go where.
Did anyone ever give an answer for this? I'm in the same boat. Need someone to tell me how to make a cable for Optic 6 with round 6 pin DIN plug.
Thanks
IAMAN is offline Find More Posts by IAMAN
Old Feb 26, 2012, 09:42 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMAN View Post
Did anyone ever give an answer for this? I'm in the same boat. Need someone to tell me how to make a cable for Optic 6 with round 6 pin DIN plug.
Thanks
The DIN socket for Futaba/Hitec is explained here(Fig 3-01):
http://users.belgacom.net/TX2TX/tx2t...h/tx2txgb3.htm
Contact pin configuration viewed on female plug mating face :
1 = +V batteries (SWITCHED)
Shield = GROUND
2 = OUT
3 = IN
4 = +V (for some transmitters only). Connecting pin 4 and 5 to each other on some transmitters will stop the HF-transmission and thus the transmiiter will not send out any signal (this is the case for 9ZAP/9ZHP, probably also for the FF8/8UAP and FF7/7UAP, NOT for the Robbe/Futaba F16-FC16-FC18, for the FC28 I don't know)
6 = +5v on certain transmitters only (9ZAP/9ZHP, probably FF8/8UAP and FF7/7UAP) and is used by DSC-cable.
Having a jumper between pin 4&5 disable the RF section also on Hitec Optic6 & Eclipse7
http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...inkadaptor.jpg
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Last edited by coriolan; Feb 26, 2012 at 11:16 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 09:48 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
1,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMAN View Post
Thanks
Same problem here, I bought a JR 9303 as a workaround till they stock a $3 part.
Eclipse_7 is offline Find More Posts by Eclipse_7
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:39 PM
Joined Dec 2006
666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Dog View Post
Has anyone tried their Anylink set-up with earlier generation Flyzone UMs? I was under the impression it was backwards compatible. However, a guy at Hobbytown USA told me some people that had tried were having range issues, so I decided to hold off. I've got a Dr1, two Albis and a Playmate and it would certainly be nice if it did.
I remember reading only FlyZone micros that came with a "Tactic" transmitter will work with the AnyLInk. And, those with the older FXT-324 do not work at all.

Don
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:14 AM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
Joined Aug 2007
4,012 Posts
Quote:
Ron, just for info, the mix method works with the Spektrum (and HobbyKing Super Micro) bricks as well.

I went and looked at those HobbyKing Super Micro bricks. Too bad they aren't Spektrum compatible. They seem to produce modules for other brands but no mention of Spektrum.
Ron
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:36 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,264 Posts
Sure they do.

The HK SuperMicro modules work with a Spektrum Tx by using a satellite receiver from one of the Spektrum or HK Orange Receivers (<$12 from HK). The satellite receiver (after binding to your transmitter) plugs into the front of the module and you add a flight pack battery. The Spektrum Tx sends the commands to the satellite receiver which routes them into the HobbyKing transmitter module for final transmission to the airborne unit. Bit messier but a neat way round the DSM2 compatibility problem and it means you need nothing attached to your transmitter which is nice. The satellite, battery and SuperMicro Tx module can be anywhere in radio range. It's all covered in the HobbyKing Super Micro thread here.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...462072&page=44

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek View Post
I went and looked at those HobbyKing Super Micro bricks. Too bad they aren't Spektrum compatible. They seem to produce modules for other brands but no mention of Spektrum.
Ron
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:04 AM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
Joined Aug 2007
4,012 Posts
Quote:
Sure they do.

The HK SuperMicro modules work with a Spektrum Tx by using a satellite receiver from one of the Spektrum or HK Orange Receivers (<$12 from HK). The satellite receiver (after binding to your transmitter) plugs into the front of the module and you add a flight pack battery. The Spektrum Tx sends the commands to the satellite receiver which routes them into the HobbyKing transmitter module for final transmission to the airborne unit. Bit messier but a neat way round the DSM2 compatibility problem and it means you need nothing attached to your transmitter which is nice. The satellite, battery and SuperMicro Tx module can be anywhere in radio range. It's all covered in the HobbyKing Super Micro thread here.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...462072&page=44

OK, I think I follow that, I am off to that thread right now. THANKS
Ron
Old Mar 01, 2012, 09:05 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,514 Posts
Just got mine yesterday and order the DX8 cable and of course after ordering it I get point to this thread. LOL

Oh well.. The cable isn't costing me much.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip